Quantcast

Angry’s Big Number Two

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hey @AngryMetalsmith not sure if you're following the weather, but the remnants of hurricane debby are going to start pushing through tomorrow and we're staring down 2 to 3 days of steady rain. a couple inches in the forecast so there's flood risk in low areas. if you're not gonna hunker down and ride it out, please be careful.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
While not the same, I find when portaging anything more than a half a km I have to have a decent set of boots. A fully loaded food barrel on my back and a canoe as a hat, it is nicely well over 100 lbs. Heavy awkward loads up and down steep hills over slimy rocks and roots requires some sturdy support, especially if they are a few km long. I was out this past weekend for an improptu 5 mile hike while wearing Keen water sandals, that do have a decent sole. The eroded limestone in the area didn't take long to make itself known to the bottom of my feet. I wanted boots just for that.

I really don't know how you do it in lightweight footwear.

Serious props dude.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
While not the same, I find when portaging anything more than a half a km I have to have a decent set of boots. A fully loaded food barrel on my back and a canoe as a hat, it is nicely well over 100 lbs. Heavy awkward loads up and down steep hills over slimy rocks and roots requires some sturdy support, especially if they are a few km long. I was out this past weekend for an improptu 5 mile hike while wearing Keen water sandals, that do have a decent sole. The eroded limestone in the area didn't take long to make itself known to the bottom of my feet. I wanted boots just for that.

I really don't know how you do it in lightweight footwear.

Serious props dude.
Hiking poles help a lot.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Hiking poles help a lot.
They do, and he is lucky to be able to use them, but for me they don't play well with the canoe hat. While I can go no touch for a bit, the yoke rocks on the pack straps so your shoulders never sit in the yoke pocket properly. I have carried a canoe over a mile long portage without a pack and without touching the gunwales just using shoulder movement to keep it balanced. It is not overly difficult. With a pack I can't do it so I use a guide rope from the bow that I hold in front of my chest to help with the balance.

I'm getting to the point that single carry will probably soon be a memory in a few years. It's getting harder and harder on what use to be easy portages. Getting old sucks.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
They do, and he is lucky to be able to use them, but for me they don't play well with the canoe hat. While I can go no touch for a bit, the yoke rocks on the pack straps so your shoulders never sit in the yoke pocket properly. I have carried a canoe over a mile long portage without a pack and without touching the gunwales just using shoulder movement to keep it balanced. It is not overly difficult. With a pack I can't do it so I use a guide rope from the bow that I hold in front of my chest to help with the balance.

I'm getting to the point that single carry will probably soon be a memory in a few years. It's getting harder and harder on what use to be easy portages. Getting old sucks.
Forgive me but I am imagining a drunk French trapper heading into the wilderness with a musket, barrel of salt pork and a case of Rum.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Day 113 8/7 20.5

Palmerton, PA to Wind Gap, PA

Stitch and I hit the restaurant that owns the hostel in the back for breakfast before heading out of town. Got started a little later than normal at 8:40. For most of the morning in didn’t rain and we were able to keep a fast pace going with the intention of reaching Wind Gap and a hotel before the storm got worse. That afternoon it started to rain and continued for several hours. We stopped briefly at a shelter 16 miles in, to have a quick snack. Checked the thermometer and it was 66 * in the shelter. A whopping 24* cooler than we have been accustomed to. Got a little cold but eventually warmed up as the rain tapered off. We made it to the hotel which was about 0.2 miles from the trail around 7:15. Not including the two or so miles to get from town to the trail we did 20.5 miles on the notorious Pennsylvania Rocks. Feet are hammered.

IMG_5233.jpeg

IMG_5235.jpeg

IMG_5236.jpeg

IMG_5237.jpeg

paypal.me/angrymetalsmith
Venmo @AngryMetalsmith 4841

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 114 8/8 0 miles

Zero in Delaware Water Gap

I decided to stay out of the rain and catch an Uber to Delaware Water Gap, the next town stop on the AT from Wind Gap, to get into a nicer hotel that was near some food sources as there was nothing at the other place. Stitch got back on trail and hiked into the hotel where I’m staying and is going to take a zero with me tomorrow so we can avoid the 2-3” of rain and possible tornados.

The owner or the hotel in Wind Gap was a very nice, friendly and helpful person but the place was a bit, um, messy. We were given one of the recently renovated rooms. Which actually was pretty nice on the inside.

IMG_5238.jpeg

IMG_5240.jpeg

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Thread drift, but I bet doing the Horizontal Mambo while actually out on the trail is a bit less common due to privacy, hygiene, etc, but I certainly know at least two couples that met out there, and are still together!

1723158244189.gif

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Thread drift, but I bet doing the Horizontal Mambo while actually out on the trail is a bit less common due to privacy, hygiene, etc, but I certainly know at least two couples that met out there, and are still together!

View attachment 216442
Way too many sharp rocks in PA. Hygiene and privacy are of little concern to thru hikers. This place erodes your sense of smell and your comfort zone. We are the unfiltered of endurance athletes.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 115 8/9 0 miles

Hurricane Debby was threatening us with 2-3 inches of rain and tornadoes. Ran into a couple of SOBO thru hikers that said the other places to stay in town were full. Good time to not be in the woods. Actually had a good rest day.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 116 8/10 0 miles

Spent the day doing basic town chores and getting a shuttle to Walmart for resupply.

I needed a longer break from the past few days of hiking on the punishing Pennsylvania rocks both physically and mentally. Really wasn’t enjoying it very much. And adding to that stress is the fact that I am now too far back to reach Katahdin by mid October at a reasonable pace. I would have to push myself to the point of doing 18- 20 miles per day without much, if any, time off. There have just been too many obstacles to overcome out here, multiple gear failures, debit card theft, lost trekking poles, and then a kidney stone. All have slowed down my forward progress. But what to do didn’t become clear until this morning.

On Tuesday I got a call from Sunshine with some bad news. But her version of bad always has a positive twist. She has been dealing with an infected toe and had to get off trail for a few days to let it heal. Her plan after that is to flip up to Katahdin and hike south. She invited me to join her and I accepted. Her uncle lives near by and is going to drive us up there. We spoke again this morning and now have a rough plan.

We both got off at the most unceremoniously possible location of Wind Gap. The only thing there is the Gateway Motel. The one in the pics a few posts ago. Neither of us are down with ending the hike there so we are going to meet up at a State Park in NJ which is more accessible. And @jonKranked it’s probably not too far from you.

While it’s not the ideal hike that I have been chasing the goal is still the same, to finish. And the value of adaptability is one of the first things a thru hiker must learn.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Day 116 8/10 0 miles

Spent the day doing basic town chores and getting a shuttle to Walmart for resupply.

I needed a longer break from the past few days of hiking on the punishing Pennsylvania rocks both physically and mentally. Really wasn’t enjoying it very much. And adding to that stress is the fact that I am now too far back to reach Katahdin by mid October at a reasonable pace. I would have to push myself to the point of doing 18- 20 miles per day without much, if any, time off. There have just been too many obstacles to overcome out here, multiple gear failures, debit card theft, lost trekking poles, and then a kidney stone. All have slowed down my forward progress. But what to do didn’t become clear until this morning.

On Tuesday I got a call from Sunshine with some bad news. But her version of bad always has a positive twist. She has been dealing with an infected toe and had to get off trail for a few days to let it heal. Her plan after that is to flip up to Katahdin and hike south. She invited me to join her and I accepted. Her uncle lives near by and is going to drive us up there. We spoke again this morning and now have a rough plan.

We both got off at the most unceremoniously possible location of Wind Gap. The only thing there is the Gateway Motel. The one in the pics a few posts ago. Neither of us are down with ending the hike there so we are going to meet up at a State Park in NJ which is more accessible. And @jonKranked it’s probably not too far from you.

While it’s not the ideal hike that I have been chasing the goal is still the same, to finish. And the value of adaptability is one of the first things a thru hiker must learn.

You do realize this plan of action only serves to commit you to thru hiking again in order to finish at Katahdin.

AT turtle

Chimp
Jun 14, 2023
Day 116 8/10 0 miles

Nothing wrong with a flip flop.
I'm looking at the map now and you have accomplished so much. When I tell people they look at me with their mouth open not believing that someone has walked that far. This is your hike. Enjoy the journey.
You got this.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 117 8/11 15.5 miles

Wind Gap to Delaware Water Gap

Got an Uber back to the Gateway Hotel in Wind Gap to get back on trail for my first time Slackpacking. Stripped my pack down to the bare essentials like food, water and a rain jacket the night before.

Hiked for months and nearly 1300 miles and never tried it since I was originally going NOBO pure. Which means no skipping sections, no aqua blazing, no driving, and carrying all your gear all the time. Seen plenty of friends Slackpack and it looked fun. Spoiler, it is. Going from 28-32 pounds down to a nearly empty pack makes it so much easier. Like enjoyable and stuff. And the last of the rock scrambles were much safer because of it.

IMG_5264.jpeg

IMG_5265.jpeg

IMG_5268.jpeg

IMG_5270.jpeg

IMG_5274.jpeg

IMG_5277.jpeg

IMG_5278.jpeg

IMG_5275.jpeg

IMG_5267.jpeg

IMG_5266.jpeg

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Super cool that you're finding a way to complete your hike despite the setbacks.

I assume a flip-flop hike like this counts as a thru-hike; do people that section hike the entire trail also use the term thruhiker? Are there guidelines for what "counts" and what doesn't?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Day 117 8/11 15.5 miles

Wind Gap to Delaware Water Gap

Got an Uber back to the Gateway Hotel in Wind Gap to get back on trail for my first time Slackpacking. Stripped my pack down to the bare essentials like food, water and a rain jacket the night before.

Hiked for months and nearly 1300 miles and never tried it since I was originally going NOBO pure. Which means no skipping sections, no aqua blazing, no driving, and carrying all your gear all the time. Seen plenty of friends Slackpack and it looked fun. Spoiler, it is. Going from 28-32 pounds down to a nearly empty pack makes it so much easier. Like enjoyable and stuff. And the last of the rock scrambles were much safer because of it.

View attachment 216624

View attachment 216625

View attachment 216626

View attachment 216627

View attachment 216628

View attachment 216629

View attachment 216630

View attachment 216631

View attachment 216632

View attachment 216633
i grew up in the woods on rocks like that. i just assumed it was like that everywhere.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Super cool that you're finding a way to complete your hike despite the setbacks.

I assume a flip-flop hike like this counts as a thru-hike; do people that section hike the entire trail also use the term thruhiker? Are there guidelines for what "counts" and what doesn't?
Yes a flip-flop definitely counts as a thru hike. A thru hike is one continuous foot path to be completed within one calendar year.

Sometimes you’ll hear section hikers refer to themselves as Thru hiking but not too often. Or they’ll say they thru hiked it…over the course of a couple years.

There are a lot of variations of a thru hike this year, especially with the oppressive heat and scarcity of water. Several have skipped up trail quite a bit. Others used alternative routes like kayaking down a river.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 119 8/3 0 miles

Took the local bus over to the Walmart Super center where there is a decent grocery store to get everything I need for 8+ days. Went to a really good, family owned Mexican restaurant for lunch. Then caught an Uber back to the hotel.

Walked down to the local Pizza place to get a couple of slices and ran into a friend that I hadn’t seen in 600 miles. You just never know out here when or who you’re going to meet up with.

Getting picked up thuper early tomorrow morning and heading up to Maine.

I’ve been in this hotel since Thursday. I definitely needed the break both physically and mentally. The PA rocks are relentless and punishing. My feet needed the rest. And the past few days of hiking my morale was pretty low. But now I’m ready to start the next chapter of this epic adventure.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Day 119 8/3 0 miles

Took the local bus over to the Walmart Super center where there is a decent grocery store to get everything I need for 8+ days. Went to a really good, family owned Mexican restaurant for lunch. Then caught an Uber back to the hotel.

Walked down to the local Pizza place to get a couple of slices and ran into a friend that I hadn’t seen in 600 miles. You just never know out here when or who you’re going to meet up with.

Getting picked up thuper early tomorrow morning and heading up to Maine.

I’ve been in this hotel since Thursday. I definitely needed the break both physically and mentally. The PA rocks are relentless and punishing. My feet needed the rest. And the past few day hiking my morale was pretty low. But now I’m ready to start the next chapter of this epic adventure.
get after it! maine ftw!

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
GOOD work! You're at my home turf. Close to The Wallpack Inn, pricy but great food and a pretty view. Nearby an awesome waterfalls, I'd recomend Buskill if you skip the food or Buttermilk fall. It's a great place finish the trail later. On the way up to Maine I rec taking rt 1A vs 95 through New Hampshire stop at the beach (state with smallest shoreline in the usa). It's a little more time but travel up the coast of Maine, Owl Head and the Penobscot bay. From the gap taking Rt 6 in NY toward Bear Mt is the most scenic way out of the area. Bear Mt has a drive up to the top if you want a glimpse. Good luck and safe travels.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
GOOD work! You're at my home turf. Close to The Wallpack Inn, pricy but great food and a pretty view. Nearby an awesome waterfalls, I'd recomend Buskill if you skip the food or Buttermilk fall. It's a great place finish the trail later. On the way up to Maine I rec taking rt 1A vs 95 through New Hampshire stop at the beach (state with smallest shoreline in the usa). It's a little more time but travel up the coast of Maine, Owl Head and the Penobscot bay. From the gap taking Rt 6 in NY toward Bear Mt is the most scenic way out of the area. Bear Mt has a drive up to the top if you want a glimpse. Good luck and safe travels.
Oh man, that does sound like a fun drive. But the route isn’t up to me.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 120 8/14 0

Flipped up to Maine

The night before Honey Badger and Dory checked into the same hotel. Got to see them for about 15 minutes before I had to go to bed. It’s kind of strange leaving as they were arriving. Probably will not see them again during this hike. And Sunshine wasn’t able to say hello because they were of course sacked out from a long day. So we snapped a pic outside their door.

Time traveled from Delaware Water Gap, PA to Monson, ME. Sunshine’s Aunt and Uncle picked me up at 6:00 am and drove us up. They were so nice. We had several rest stops which is really a good idea with two thru hikers who need to eat a lot and often. They found an REI that was very close to our route so I could stop and buy a puffy jacket and a hat. Temps are going to drop at night and there wasn’t time to get my winter gear sent to me.

Stayed last night at one of the most iconic hostels on trail, Shaw’s. The place is the deal. It’s what a hostel should be with everything a hiker could possibly want or need. They even have an exceptionally well stocked gear shop.

We’ll stay here one more night then head into the 100 Mile Wilderness in the morning. The plan is to hike 115 miles to the summit of Mt. Katahdin and then get picked up by the hostel and taken back for the night. The hostel will meet us 60 miles in for a food drop so we don’t have to carry 8 days of food. After that we start hiking Southbound.

IMG_5297.jpeg

IMG_5301.jpeg

IMG_5303.jpeg

IMG_5304.jpeg

IMG_5294.jpeg

IMG_5292.jpeg

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Day 120 8/14 0

Flipped up to Maine

The night before Honey Badger and Dory checked into the same hotel. Got to see them for about 15 minutes before I had to go to bed. It’s kind of strange leaving as they were arriving. Probably will not see them again during this hike. And Sunshine wasn’t able to say hello because they were of course sacked out from a long day. So we snapped a pic outside their door.

Time traveled from Delaware Water Gap, PA to Monson, ME. Sunshine’s Aunt and Uncle picked me up at 6:00 am and drove us up. They were so nice. We had several rest stops which is really a good idea with two thru hikers who need to eat a lot and often. They found an REI that was very close to our route so I could stop and buy a puffy jacket and a hat. Temps are going to drop at night and there wasn’t time to get my winter gear sent to me.

Stayed last night at one of the most iconic hostels on trail, Shaw’s. The place is the deal. It’s what a hostel should be with everything a hiker could possibly want or need. They even have an exceptionally well stocked gear shop.

We’ll stay here one more night then head into the 100 Mile Wilderness in the morning. The plan is to hike 115 miles to the summit of Mt. Katahdin and then get picked up by the hostel and taken back for the night. The hostel will meet us 60 miles in for a food drop so we don’t have to carry 8 days of food. After that we start hiking Southbound.

View attachment 216834

View attachment 216835

View attachment 216836

View attachment 216837

View attachment 216838

View attachment 216842

enjoy every single moment you are in Maine

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 121 8/15 0 miles

Zero at Shaw’s in Monson, ME

We decided to take a rest day from time traveling to Maine and wait on Sunshine’s quilt to get delivered. Also went over our itinerary through the 100 Mile Wilderness with Poet, one of the hostel owners.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
dude...monson is kinda far from katahdin, no? assume you're getting a lift up there to restart, no?
115 miles to the summit. We’re hiking northbound from here to Katahdin then down the Abol Trail to get picked up by the hostel and shuttled back to Monson. We’ll take a zero then start hiking South.

My hike will technically end at the PA/NJ border. But being that’s about in the middle of the bridge over the Delaware River with highway traffic I’ll finish in Delaware Water Gap where I stayed for six nights. I already know where to stay and which restaurants are good. And should be able to get a ride to whatever mode of transportation I choose to get home.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Our plan is to leave tomorrow morning even if her quilt doesn’t get here. Post office opens at 7:00 or 7:30. If it doesn’t arrive until later the hostel will bring it with them when they deliver our food drop on day 5.

We are both a little nervous about the colder temperatures, water crossings, significantly more challenging terrain, and keeping to our schedule. The section we are about to hike is one of the most challenging of the entire trail. And the lore of its difficulty is deafening to the ears of the uninitiated. So much talk amongst those passing through as we wait for our turn to step off.

I was able to get a new puffy jacket and new hat at REI on the way up and also had a pair of tights delivered to the hotel before I left. They’re a bit thinner than my others but should help with sleeping at least.

The outfitter here at the hostel had a rain jacket that I had been thinking about but being that few places carry Montbell I haven’t seen one in person. The rain jackets sold at REI and most outfitters along the trail are all pretty much the same and not a whole lot better than what I have now. But the Montbell Versalite has received a lot of praise online and our own @pinkshirtphotos recommends it. And I have to say that it is indeed a fine garment. Unlike my Outdoor Research Helium 2 it has hand pockets and pit zips. At only 6 ozs it’s about the same weight as the Helium which should also make it good windbreaker.

Coming from the blistering heat of PA it’s going to take some time to adjust to temperatures 20+ degrees cooler. One of the unfortunate side effects of time travel. But some warmer gear should help with that transition.