Quantcast

AngryMetalsmith's A.T. Thru Hike Thread

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My Pack is down to 22lbs. Everything. Stove, Tent, bag, food, fuel, and water purification. My fitness is not up to that weight for the miles to hike to remote places currently. My goal is to maintain current fitness and level up some. And carry that through until next year. We shall see... Still cannot ride a wheelie...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
New Poles work well. Sadly they help. More then I care to admit. 21 miles 3 trips. No heal pain. Same boots, same pack, same distances.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
New Poles work well. Sadly they help. More then I care to admit. 21 miles 3 trips. No heal pain. Same boots, same pack, same distances.
Trekking poles are now as essential to a hike as a front suspension fork is to a ride. Was really surprised by how much they help, especially with old knees on downhills. Might want to ditch the wrist straps. Glad I did, would have injured my wrist a few times falling.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Trekking poles are now as essential to a hike as a front suspension fork is to a ride. Was really surprised by how much they help, especially with old knees on downhills. Might want to ditch the wrist straps. Glad I did, would have injured my wrist a few times falling.
I am ok with being strapped to my gear so as to not lose it after I fall. I tend to fall in a skilled way. I seem to make it home for the most part. Thankfully. I ride alone also.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Through hikers are a weird bunch but still...

Slap a ride monkey sticker on this marital aid and I'll contribute three fifty to your funemployment

Yeah, there are some interesting people on the AT for sure.

Jeebus, that dong weights 5.7 pounds. Definitely not an ultralite dildo.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana

Slap a ride monkey sticker on this marital aid and I'll contribute three fifty to your funemployment

I would ask how you found that, but I don’t want to know. The reviews are great.

“This toy has a good feel to it. Plenty stiff enough to get the job done while still flexible enough to get the hard to reach areas.”

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
When's kickoff?

10 years since I hiked at Springer Mountain, might go back again late this summer while I'm in Dahlonega.
Target window to start is May 3-7. Still trying to nail down an affordable itinerary. Currently don’t have enough funds to complete the hike but am planning on going as far as I can or at least to Grayson Highlands which is at 500 miles.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It's amazing what nerdy hikers think passes for a personality.

Then again we are talking about a bunch that thinks "hiked the AT" is a personality.

It always cracks me up when east coasters move here and ask what peaks residents have 'bagged'. The look on their faces when 95% of the repsonses are 'who gives a shit'.....

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Target window to start is May 3-7. Still trying to nail down an affordable itinerary. Currently don’t have enough funds to complete the hike but am planning on going as far as I can or at least to Grayson Highlands which is at 500 miles.
Once on your way, if you plan on posting pics here, start a new thread. Also, if only funds makes you quit earlier than you want, please set up a way so Monkeys can send some $$ your way. I'll chip in for sure.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
I suspect if you were to post your venmo, a few of us poo flingers might throw some American pesos your way to live vicariously and support your efforts ;)

#TeamAngry

ETA: Sniped by Jozz

1682346547581.png

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Itinerary has been booked. Most of my tools in the studio are packed up and ready for storage. Still have to set up the new iPhone, make final gear choices, get four days of food together and take care of few loose ends. Getting closer...

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
whether or not you blow chunks, you'll really like the mountains down there. very pisgah-y.
Oh I know. Did the first NORBA national in Helen in ‘93 or ‘94. Would love to visit there again. Not often that you see a German village in the hills of Southern Appalachia. Might have to skip it this time though as it’s a known tourist trap.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Oh I know. Did the first NORBA national in Helen in ‘93 or ‘94. Would love to visit there again. Not often that you see a German village in the hills of Southern Appalachia. Might have to skip it this time though as it’s a known tourist trap.
oh, it's such a tourist trap. the area you start from (springer mtn, no?) is a much better spot.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
oh, it's such a tourist trap. the area you start from (springer mtn, no?) is a much better spot.
Planning, reluctantly, to start at Amicalola Falls State Park on the Approach Trail. It’s where the ATC office is located for registration. The Falls are definitely a tourist trap. There are several hundred stairs to climb right out of the gate. The road up to Springer is often described in a way that discourages regular folk from driving on, but it’s probably no worse than some roads in the other Pisgah. If my shuttle driver is down, then yeah I’d rather skip the 8.8 miles and tourists and get right to the goods.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Planning, reluctantly, to start at Amicalola Falls State Park on the Approach Trail. It’s where the ATC office is located for registration. The Falls are definitely a tourist trap. There are several hundred stairs to climb right out of the gate. The road up to Springer is often described in a way that discourages regular folk from driving on, but it’s probably no worse than some roads in the other Pisgah. If my shuttle driver is down, then yeah I’d rather skip the 8.8 miles and tourists and get right to the goods.
Haha, I was down in GA for a race forever ago and took my rental car to Springer blindly following the GPS. I was glad to have air in all four tyres and oil in the sump when I made it there after the route I ended up on.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Update:

On Monday the 24th I hurt my back doing some yard work. Went for a hike on Wednesday and everything seemed fine. So I started franticly packing up the studio and moving heavy metalsmithy things. Pushed myself way too far. Really tweaked after that to the point that I could feel it in my chest. Which given my history of back problems is a warning sign of a spasm. If any of you are familiar with back spasms then you too will understand that on trail, with a full pack, is not the place to have one. Being exhausted, stressed and on the verge of a back spasm just seemed like a recipe for failure. Was scheduled to start on the 4th but postponed until the 9th. I have until 4:00pm tomorrow to cancel the hotel, for a second time. Ughh...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Update:

On Monday the 24th I hurt my back doing some yard work. Went for a hike on Wednesday and everything seemed fine. So I started franticly packing up the studio and moving heavy metalsmithy things. Pushed myself way too far. Really tweaked after that to the point that I could feel it in my chest. Which given my history of back problems is a warning sign of a spasm. If any of you are familiar with back spasms then you too will understand that on trail, with a full pack, is not the place to have one. Being exhausted, stressed and on the verge of a back spasm just seemed like a recipe for failure. Was scheduled to start on the 4th but postponed until the 9th. I have until 4:00pm tomorrow to cancel the hotel, for a second time. Ughh...
One of the best things about a trip like this is that you can be flexible. I spent a summer on a bike with a bob trailer and have a done a few week long point to point hiking trips. As long as you don't have a hard date that simply cannot be changed, spending an entire day leaned up against a tree reading a book is fine.

You're going to kill yourself with stress. As soon as your back loosens up just get out there. You'll be fine. And if your back hurts, lay down for a day with a pretty view. Schedules are for work. You're doing this because it's not work so no need to make it like work.

Last edited: