Quantcast

AngryMetalsmith's A.T. Thru Hike Thread

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My Diawa Pole has a M/F joint and the Shimano Real has a cover and a case. It is a Dennis Perry Case. Fits in the new pack like a glove. The sleeve holds all my lures and and spoons..

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
@jdcamb I assume you will be bringing sufficient tools and supplies to build on site earthen ovens for trailside pizza. I suppose I could stoop to the level of frozen pizzas at the gas station if I really had to. So pedestrian...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
@jdcamb I assume you will be bringing sufficient tools and supplies to build on site earthen ovens for trailside pizza. I suppose I could stoop to the level of frozen pizzas at the gas station if I really had to. So pedestrian...
You'll have to wait until PA for Pizza. After that we will have to wait until NH to get trail Pizza....

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Went hiking again today. Three and a half hours with 18 lbs up and down some rawks.

Sat on the rock out cropping that over looks Thuper Awethum for a 15 minute break.

Saw tracks that looked like they were made by a small horse but no horse poop. Maybe some hipster has horse shoe tread hiking boots.

As I was making my way back down the mile and half of rock step hell and certain I was alone as it was dusk, a dude in jeans, t-shirt, no pack comes running pass me. And not like a quick little trot down the bouncy rocks either, dude was sprinting down this nonsense.

Got about 2.5 hours in yesterday with roughly the same weight. Not quite 10-12 hours a day...yet. Making progress.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
New pack, plus boots and poles. Going to sleep outside Saturday self sufficient and alone after a 11 mile hike. Try out the stove and new pans. New food. New water system. Make or break for the Eureka. It will be wet. It will be cold.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
After getting fed up with Rei's website changing the availability date on my sleeping pad at least six times in the past week and three times yesterday or so, I called them again. No help. Original plan was to return the regular size for the large at the store when they came in. But this morning it said they wouldn't be available until May 9th.

Called Backcountry.com told them what was going on, they gave me %15 off and free two day shipping. I checked the tracking number and it will be here tomorrow. Hell yeah Backcountry !

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My pad takes as much room as my Tent. This why I have gone the hammock route. The hammock gets rid of the tent and pad real estate in my pack. It is easier to set up in bad conditions and creates a usable dry spot when it is wet. Everything wet going into a tent seems faulty. Heavy wet things in my pack? Nope... The hammock fits under my rain fly. I used a fleece to isolate it as it was wet. I didn't have to. However the hammock is not very durable. I have already poked holes into it. And have burn holes in the fly... If you can't find the trees to set it up. There is no open area option...

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
My pad takes as much room as my Tent. This why I have gone the hammock route. The hammock gets rid of the tent and pad real estate in my pack. It is easier to set up in bad conditions and creates a usable dry spot when it is wet. Everything wet going into a tent seems faulty. Heavy wet things in my pack? Nope... The hammock fits under my rain fly. I used a fleece to isolate it as it was wet. I didn't have to. However the hammock is not very durable. I have already poked holes into it. And have burn holes in the fly... If you can't find the trees to set it up. There is no open area option...
How about comfort? Doesn't it screw up your back? I find that I need to sleep on hard surface, a too soft mattress screws up my back...

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Got a four hour hike in this afternoon with 18 lbs. A shit load of people in the park, but once I got off the main trail and on to my route I got to be alone for the most part.

Towards the end I came across a rabbit sitting in the middle of the trail. As I got closer it ran down the trail 10-12 feet and stopped. I would get closer and it would take off again. This went on for a couple minutes with the rabbit running ahead and waiting for me to catch up.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Got a four hour hike in this afternoon with 18 lbs. A shit load of people in the park, but once I got off the main trail and on to my route I got to be alone for the most part.

Towards the end I came across a rabbit sitting in the middle of the trail. As I got closer it ran down the trail 10-12 feet and stopped. I would get closer and it would take off again. This went on for a couple minutes with the rabbit running ahead and waiting for me to catch up.
Angry in wonderland

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Got some more gear this week, electronics, food/bear bag and a black synthetic T-shirt to hike in. Keeping true to my mtb roots I will be hiking in Zonic Ether mtb shorts. They have all the necessary features and best of all, I don't have to buy them. Hardware wise all that's left is a couple tent stakes, dyneema tent repair kit and a cover for my pad. Still have a few clothing items to acquire. Having the hardest time convincing myself to buy hiking pants. Why, just why ?

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
After the last year's root canal, crown lengthening and crown fiasco with my dentist that got drug out to 10 months, I made an appointment with a new dentist that a very trusted neighbor recommended. I just wanted a second opinion on the temp filling and wether or not I needed another root canal and crown. Went there today and as I was explaining the situation and about to tell him of my plans for the AT and the time frame, his face lights up and he interrupts and asks if I'm going to thru hike it. Turns out he's a cyclist and a hiker who's daughter has hiked some of the AT.

He looks at the old x-rays then has his assistant take a new one. Compares them and tells me it's routine stuff and if I've got time he can fill it right there. Took about 30 minutes and was way smoother than the other dentists. His charge was less than 10 times what it would have cost at the other place. Score.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Got some more gear this week, electronics, food/bear bag and a black synthetic T-shirt to hike in. Keeping true to my mtb roots I will be hiking in Zonic Ether mtb shorts. They have all the necessary features and best of all, I don't have to buy them. Hardware wise all that's left is a couple tent stakes, dyneema tent repair kit and a cover for my pad. Still have a few clothing items to acquire. Having the hardest time convincing myself to buy hiking pants. Why, just why ?
What size are you? I am in the process of thinning gear and have some extra hiking pants that could use a good home.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
After the last year's root canal, crown lengthening and crown fiasco with my dentist that got drug out to 10 months, I made an appointment with a new dentist that a very trusted neighbor recommended. I just wanted a second opinion on the temp filling and wether or not I needed another root canal and crown. Went there today and as I was explaining the situation and about to tell him of my plans for the AT and the time frame, his face lights up and he interrupts and asks if I'm going to thru hike it. Turns out he's a cyclist and a hiker who's daughter has hiked some of the AT.

He looks at the old x-rays then has his assistant take a new one. Compares them and tells me it's routine stuff and if I've got time he can fill it right there. Took about 30 minutes and was way smoother than the other dentists. His charge was less than 10 times what it would have cost at the other place. Score.
A dentist that's a cyclist? Whoda thunkit

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
What size are you? I am in the process of thinning gear and have some extra hiking pants that could use a good home.
Maybe, but because of where my pack rests I can't have a belt or a rear belt loop. So that limits me to a few models that have either an adjustable waist or integrated belt like the Prana Stretch Zions. I usually hike in the same tights I ride in when it's cold, under my shorts. Since it's May and won't get too cold for very long tights should be fine. However a lot of hikers wear pants when it's warm. My Dad says it's to protect your legs from brush and rocks, I guess. But we're mountain bikers who routinely blast through branches, thorns and all kinds of trail debris resulting in frequent scratches and scrapes that go unnoticed. I just have a hard time buying something and carrying on my back that I probably won't use. I dunno maybe I'm just a pantsaphobe...