Quantcast

Anheuser-Busch soon to be no longer "King of Beers"

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I think we can all toast to that!!!

:cheers:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/StockInvestingTrading/DidMicrobrewsKillTheKingOfBeers.aspx#pageTopAnchor

Will microbrews kill the King of Beers?

As consumers have shifted from light to so-called craft beers, jumbo brewers have been on the defensive. Now Anheuser-Busch is fending off a takeover bid, and Miller and Coors are joining forces to survive.

If one major brewer has an edge with craft-beer consumers it might be Molson Coors, which has created its own successful craft-style beer, Blue Moon Belgian White Ale, which looks, tastes and is marketed like a craft beer but is mass-produced -- a detail Molson Coors isn't going out of its way to promote.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
With the cost of beer going way up I can see a lot of people going back to the mass produced stuff. My favorite beers have gone from 6.99 a six pack to 10.99. Any more the good stuff is just the occasional treat. Actually I am thinking about borrowing some friends equipment and start making my own again.

It helps that this place just opened up within walking distance of my house.
http://www.fermentationtrap.com/info.html

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
The company that wants to buy Anheuser-Busch is the company that makes Stella Artois. Not much of a step up from Bud to Stella, IMO. Too bad Duvel doesn't buy them instead.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
The company that wants to buy Anheuser-Busch is the company that makes Stella Artois. Not much of a step up from Bud to Stella, IMO. Too bad Duvel doesn't buy them instead.
Step down IMO. Bud is my go-to beer when I haven't the extra cash for the good stuff.

I would not buy Stella if it were the only beer at the beer store.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
One of the microsoft style brewers bought high amounts of hops just to sit on in order to hurt the micro people in the last year.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
btw, what's up with these new fruit flavored low-carb beers Like Tuscan Orange/Grapefruiit Micelob ultra? WTF?????????????
Over.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
sounds like you just don't like lagers; stella's not a bad choice for that type of beer.

and peaty is a fan.

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
Ill pay $30 for a 6 of good beer before I buy bud, miller or any of those other crappy beers. I guess thats why I don't drink much. When I do drink beer its a treat because I shelled out some cash for a good beer.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Yeah, Stella is not bad IMO, but for what it costs, you may as well be drinking the blood of christ.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
++
Old style is awesome. There's a Cubs/Bears bar I go to in nashville just to get the stuff.
I can handle a lot of cheap beers but when I went to see the Cubs a few years ago it was tough to stomach, I could get used to it though. In general other than goose island it is hard to find good beer in Chicago.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I can handle a lot of cheap beers but when I went to see the Cubs a few years ago it was tough to stomach, I could get used to it though. In general other than goose island it is hard to find good beer in Chicago.
It tastes to me just like a less-rancid form of PBR, but with more flavor then bud light. So it's good for hot weather, and cheap.