Quantcast

Anit bacterial laundry soap? what do you clean your pads with?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
My knee pads have the funk in them big time.

what kind of soap do y'all use for your pads and stuff?

all I can find is anti-bacterial hand soap.... I guess i could rub that all over them before I put them in the washer...?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Spray them with lysol and then wash them.

Or you can spray them with fabreeze

Or you can soak 'em good in some cheap a$$ vodka.

Normally its the lysol and then the vodka and then a normal wash.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I was with regular laundry detergent, by hand, and then febreeze.

I then lay flat to dry. DO NOT use a washer/dryer on Dainese. Dryers are mean and washers can stretch the suit out of shape.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I wash mine by hand in the bathtub with regular detergent. If regular soap can't get the funk out, you have issues. Good old hot water and a soak will kill 99% of bacteria anyways.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
they are knee pads. in the past, I just put them in the laundry as a normal load. I even dry them. no problems, they come out clean.

but now, they got some funk in them. I was them, they seem clean and within minutes of wearin them they stink like really dirty old stink socks...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I just shove it in a laundry bag and toss it in a (front loading) washing machine. Washed my rockgardn just about every week during riding season the last 2 years, and only damage that came to it was when I threw it in w/o a bag. Ooooops. Keep it clean and you won't have to try to figure out how to kill the 1/2" of mold that's growing on it. :rofl:

(this was a cheap rockgardn and not a Dainese though. :) )

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
how do I keep it clean and still wear it?

I don't ride in mud/dirt...

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
dante said:
I just shove it in a laundry bag and toss it in a (front loading) washing machine. Washed my rockgardn just about every week during riding season the last 2 years, and only damage that came to it was when I threw it in w/o a bag. Ooooops. Keep it clean and you won't have to try to figure out how to kill the 1/2" of mold that's growing on it. :rofl:

(this was a cheap rockgardn and not a Dainese though. :) )

pillow case works too.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
East County via East Coast
pnj said:
how do I keep it clean and still wear it?

I don't ride in mud/dirt...
you may not ride in the mud/dirt but the bacteria are still along for the ride...if you don't sweat TOO much, you can wear something like underarmor under your pads (for uppers, at least). this will extend the "wear" time between washing. of course, it is getting warmer outside, so i'll be going without underarmor, and my dianese will soon start stinking again. there's nothing like shuttling in a small pickup truck in the middle of summer...:dead:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The best cleaner out there is Mirazyme - it will kill any odor producing wildlife in your pads and its non-toxic.

A 8 oz. bottle can be had for about $6 online and makes about 300 gallons of cleaning solution

MiraZyme™ Odor Eliminator is a powerful blend of natural enzymes and microbes used to remove odors caused by mold, mildew and bacteria. The McNett Corporation has identified, separated and reproduced a unique blend of 10 naturally occurring and highly adapted enzymes, microbes and other organic ingredients designed to identify and destroy odor. MiraZyme is extremely versatile, quickly and effectively removing odor and organic debris from a wide variety of clothing, footwear, outdoor and sports gear, and more. Residues from MiraZyme are water and carbon dioxide-safe for the environment.