Quantcast

Ankle braces

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
Hey all,

Anyone ride with ankle braces or have ridden with them? Took a tumble last night on the big bike and messed up my ankle real bad (seeing my PCP tomorrow for diagnosis). This is not the first injury I have had to my ankles having broken my other leg’s ankle twice riding downhill.

Curious what braces you all have found to be effective, if at all while riding. Saw an article that Brandon Semenuk rides with one, but that one seems quite expensive. Willing to pay for it if it’s the best option though.

I’ve tried mid and high top shoes and was wearing some mid tops last night, but that didn’t seem to help. Flipped over on a dry corner and must have tangled my foot in the bike when I went down.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, I do. What they gave me at the doctor's office when I was recovering from ankle surgery is the
Swede-O Tarsal Lok Ankle Brace. I can't afford to roll my ankle anymore, due to the damage I caused. This is low-profile and does a good job of preventing that. There's other shit that looks more high tech or easier on/off, but this is real slim and again, it does a good job. I bought extras and I'm happy with them. I'm not certain some of the others pictured will be as slim or effective. Those are the two most important parts for me. I can ride with it anywhere/doing anything.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Hi all. Coming back from a pretty bad (but non-surgical, and in fact undiagnosed :D :rolleyes: ) ankle sprain and curious for suggestions for a relatively low profile brace or compression/strap dealio. Tons of stuff on the market but wondering if anyone has any specific ideas, things to avoid, etc.

Thanks

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Hi all. Coming back from a pretty bad (but non-surgical, and in fact undiagnosed :D :rolleyes: ) ankle sprain and curious for suggestions for a relatively low profile brace or compression/strap dealio. Tons of stuff on the market but wondering if anyone has any specific ideas, things to avoid, etc.

Thanks
get this style with the non-elastic strap wrap things

nothing else comes close

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
This is the ankle brace that I ended up liking the most. Not saying any others are worse/better.

“Mueller Sports Medicine the ONE ankle brace”

I ordered a couple of them, but this one feels the best for riding after my aforementioned ankle injuries (foot bone, severely torn ligaments). I was out for months and in an airboot. I’d highly recommend getting to checked out.

The quick lace system is really nice. Plus the use of straps and not plastic inserts helps too when off the bike, or if your foot swells up a lot, it’s easy to adjust.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022
It pays not to make assumptions.

Breg are a US producer of Sports Science and Post Op braces, and Kinesthetic Tape is old school.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It pays not to make assumptions.

Breg are a US producer of Sports Science and Post Op braces, and Kinesthetic Tape is old school.
Locking the ankle against rolling is necessary and not provided by tape

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That would require stays or articulation really, but you can seriously restrict movement with tape.
The brace I quoted above locks your ankle in to prevent rolling and is super low profile. It’s excellent.