Quantcast

annoying noises from powerbit cranks

PURE4130

Chimp
Sep 1, 2008
Israel
some of my friends have primo powerbit cranks.

it make annoying noises.

we tried to fix it by tighting or potting grease.

none of it help.

is anyone found the solution to make it quiet?

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
dont powerbites have that square taper bb interface with the four sides? if they do then theyre most likely worn, and try not having grease on that interface ande tighten them down.

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
dunno, square tapered has simply no chance of slipping, and lasts longer, or am I completely mistaken?

anyway, mine did this too, it stopped by loosening the axle bolts a bit, no idea why, but it stopped the screaming and everything is still tight.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I have Primo Exels, and they are the best cranks I've every used. Extremely easy to install and maintain. Take the arms off, take the spindle out, and grease everything lightly.

Oct 6, 2008
Plainfield, IL
In addition to everything elsesaid, make sure to run the spacer in between the bearings and to not overtighten anything including the pinchbolts. I have seen lots o' people crush the bearings. Bearings that accept 22mm spindles seem to crush easier, especially in euro or spanish setups.

CP

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Yeah, I've seen the tube spacers crushed, which in turn puts pressure on the bearings, which ends up badly....
The spacer between the bearings is the most critical part of spanish/mid style crank installs. It has to be long enough to keep the bearings slightly farther apart than the bearing stops on the inside of the BB shell, but not so far that they are able to move laterally.