• I'm rich, biatch!

Votes: 26 38.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I got this idea from watching "30 Days" on FX living on minimum wage. I was wondering what your income is.

For those individuals living with their parents or a spouse, include their income as well. My old boss used to complain his income owning a shop was $8000 a year. Total income with his wife's salary from being a HR director: $118,000.

For me, it was an interesting year. I was averaging $25,000 a year as the sales manager at my shop. My computer job is averaging 3 times that, and at one point, I was working both jobs.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
manziman said:
let's see...$10.25/hr x 12 hrs/week - taxes=$400/mo.
$400 x 12 mo= $4800.
Therefore, i'm not makin jack squat.

Lets see...$6.75 an hour x 20 hours a week - taxes= 115 a week = 460 a month

460x12= $5520 a year.

Not bad for a 16 year old.

Add about 50 k for my dad, and volia

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
This has come up recently for me. A friend of mine, who just got laid off for the summer, was working 20 hours a week in an afterschool program. I went being as broke as him to doing pretty well (althoug over worked).

It is tough making very little, so you hope you have a fun or easy job if you don't make a lot of money. Spurlock was working 16 hours a day doing manual labor. He seemed to hold up pretty well.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
dirtjumpP.1 said:
fack if i know, im lookin for a job right now..... im in neeed of some cash, and dont want to work fast food.

That's what you'll end up doing though. Money is money.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
me .. base salary is 64k but add about 25k - 30k in o/t. My wife is at about 57k. so we are doing pretty well I guess

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
(Purchasing Job) 28k (part time Fire Fighting) 5k
(web design jobs) 5k
(Wife's wedding photography business) 10k
=48k
Cycling fetish = -10k
38k a year

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
On a somewhat serious note about “30 Days” – I will say I found it very interesting and enlightening to watch. I went to bed last night with some random thoughts on what I saw, so I’ll try to put them together in some coherent manner.

Note: I do not pretend to know all the economic forces in play or advocate raising the minimum wage – these are just some thoughts bouncing around in my head.

First, I totally felt like I have been taking what I have for granted. I think about how wrapped up I get in stuff like for instance, getting a new shock for my Blur. That’s like a $500 shock, and I thought last night “that’s like over half of what these people were trying to make in a month, and I’m going to blow that in a blink of an eye on a bike part”. Now there’s nothing wrong with bikes, or bike parts, it just got me thinking how much we spend that we totally take for granted and how self centered our culture has become when making sure you got the coolest rims on your Escalade is more important than helping those around you that are in need [rant off].

Second, it was cool to see that church giving stuff away. The dudes fiancé was all choked up when they got all that free stuff for their apartment. It was very encouraging to see a church out there in a questionable neighborhood taking care of peoples needs.

Anyway, like I said, I don’t pretend to know (or care) about all the variables associated with the whole minimum wage thing and whether or not to raise it, but I will say that show did get me to thinking, which I’m sure was at least part of the intent.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Andyman_1970 said:
On a somewhat serious note about “30 Days” – I will say I found it very interesting and enlightening to watch. I went to bed last night with some random thoughts on what I saw, so I’ll try to put them together in some coherent manner.

Note: I do not pretend to know all the economic forces in play or advocate raising the minimum wage – these are just some thoughts bouncing around in my head.

First, I totally felt like I have been taking what I have for granted. I think about how wrapped up I get in stuff like for instance, getting a new shock for my Blur. That’s like a $500 shock, and I thought last night “that’s like over half of what these people were trying to make in a month, and I’m going to blow that in a blink of an eye on a bike part”. Now there’s nothing wrong with bikes, or bike parts, it just got me thinking how much we spend that we totally take for granted and how self centered our culture has become when making sure you got the coolest rims on your Escalade is more important than helping those around you that are in need [rant off].

Second, it was cool to see that church giving stuff away. The dudes fiancé was all choked up when they got all that free stuff for their apartment. It was very encouraging to see a church out there in a questionable neighborhood taking care of peoples needs.

Anyway, like I said, I don’t pretend to know (or care) about all the variables associated with the whole minimum wage thing and whether or not to raise it, but I will say that show did get me to thinking, which I’m sure was at least part of the intent.

The whole idea of minimum wage is that it is supposed to be short term until you learn a trade/degree/experience and move up the ladder.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
N8 said:
The whole idea of minimum wage is that it is supposed to be short term until you learn a trade/degree/experience and move up the ladder.
I don't disagree at all - but for some, the working poor, that may be all they have. Like I said, I'm certainly not advocating raising the minimum wage or even pretend to have a grasp of economics, I was just sharing some random thoughts on what I saw last night.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well I wasn't going to add these poll options:

$100-200k Midlevel management or found the mouse in the coke can
$200-500k Trust fund baby or "Honey, the trailer is on a toxic waste dump, woo-hoo!"

My point: money is relative. 100k might chump change in your neighborhood, but there are plenty of places where you are the town blue blood.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I Are Baboon said:
Yeah, what's up with that? A couple with college degrees can make more than that with just a few years experience.

i just got out, and a bunch of my freinds are making that already...

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
im in the lower range of the "rich, biach" option, but around boston, thats not exactly part of being teh rich. we still pay rent and cant afford a house :nuts:

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Funny, I just noticed that nobody has placed a value on their leisure time. Heck, a teacher might make squat for a salary, but they get so much leisure time. I'd venture to say they (or similar people) are the richest. Yes, you need enought to pay the bills and have a bit extra, but at some point free time becomes a greater value IMO then $$$. I gues it comes done to your personal utility structure from the trade off between anouther dollar or anouther hour of leisure.

I'm not on some hippy thing here, but who give a sh*&t if you make a killing and work over time. Oh great you can buy a sweet bike and a fancy car and tell everybody about it, but never actually use it. Just a thought. :think:

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
At my current rate (two jobs a week, ~36 hours/wk) I'm making 13gs per year. However, I can only do this for the summer. When school picks back up, I'm down to like 12 hours a week at only one job. (depending on my schedule, I might be able to get a little more here and there.)
My dad makes like 250k or somthing. It's a big number and he's comfy.
Mother makes a teacher's salary which I think is around 40k? Given the 3 of us, we're in the "Rich Biotch" sector.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
ncrider said:
Funny, I just noticed that nobody has placed a value on their leisure time. Heck, a teacher might make squat for a salary, but they get so much leisure time. I'd venture to say they (or similar people) are the richest. Yes, you need enought to pay the bills and have a bit extra, but at some point free time becomes a greater value IMO then $$$. I gues it comes done to your personal utility structure from the trade off between anouther dollar or anouther hour of leisure.

I'm not on some hippy thing here, but who give a sh*&t if you make a killing and work over time. Oh great you can buy a sweet bike and a fancy car and tell everybody about it, but never actually use it. Just a thought. :think:
Well, you could debate this with someone in medical school. But typically people work more than want to, for family usually. Considering everyone on this site is a biker, we all value our riding time.

Work less hours is not always an option. It is not like you can tell you boss that I am only putting 30 hours a week and expect to keep your job.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Andyman_1970 said:
I agree with you to an extent here, I donate a sizeable portion of my salry to my church, but I don't feel like that necessarily helps humanity progress more than anything else I do. I look at it this way, every time you go buy a $500 shock or a set of spinners for your escalade some factory worker gets a cut, actually several factory workers, a few salesmen, an accountant... everybody who had any part in turning a pile of unprocessed ore and petroleum into a shock gets a few cents, or dollars out of that $500. They'll use that money to pay a plumber to come out and work on their pipes, the plumber will keep some of that money for himself and some he'll put back into his buisiness and buy a $7000 seesnake, from the sale of the see snake I get a few pennies and in turn donate some to my church, and with the rest pay rent, buy food and take my wife out to a movie, from the sale of my movie ticket some actor gets a few pennies, which he uses to buy a new set of spinners for his escalade and the economy cycles yet again.

I'm not saying that you're guaranteed to get in return what you spend, the process is very roundabout, but I've never felt bad about making an expensive purchase, assuming it's a manufactured good or a service the money will be recycled in the economy.

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
im rich biotch!! actually in the bay area 100k is lower middle class and its true it is all relative to where you live. Ive come to the realization over the last year that nothing is irreplaceable except time. If i lose 40k so what, i can make more money. steal my car fine replace it, but time man there is no way to recapture it. Not to get to philisophical but everyone has to make it for themselves. Would I like to work 20 hours a week and pull 250k, yeah who wouldnt but give me time with my family, and time to play enough to pay my bills and i am a happy man.

As far as min. wage, wasnt that initially intended to be for jobs that high schoolers and elderly persons took. I dont think the intention was that it would be for career employees. I am strongly against raising it because I feel it does more harm than good. It is just the first domino tumbling along. I have guys working for me that as much as i like them they can hardly write, and have zero or almost zero skill yet the lowest paid is $14/hr. It is insane but hell they can barely live on that so what do you do.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The classic debate against raising the minimum wage is the amount you would need to raise it to be of any use would bankrupt many businesses. Raising it a dime does nothing for the working poor, but doubling it would be a hardship for lower revenue businesses.

Life's tough, in case you didn't know...

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
hucker13 said:
It is to most people...

Depends on where you live.

Around here, It'll get you a nice comfy life, But that's because the cost of living isn't high.

in the bay area or any other places that cost alot to live there, you're lower middle class with 100k a year

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Andyman_1970 said:

:nopity:
yeah, i get that same feeling since i was like 13, when i started looking around and grasping stuff.....
but here, am talking about 500 bucks speed skates VS 500 bucks=3-months-worth-wage-of-the-housekeeper kinda deals around here...

extremely depressing when you start to realize most of the world works like that....
:dead:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
ummm....average cop salary mid 30's + off-duty cop stuff = 8-10kper year + side job of 'spacewalk' = 10k per year. so anywhere from mid 40's to lower 50's before taxes.......wife stays at home w/ our 3 kids so we're still pretty darn poor.

....but at least we'll be out of debt by mid fall :thumb: :D