Quantcast

Anodized Helmets in SD area!?!?!

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Actually, that'd be cool to get a helmet anodized (granted it has an aluminum shell)..

SD peeps, you guys know of a place that can anodize frames? From good to cheap (leaning towards the cheaper scale) and maybe somewhere in the SouthBay. I've checked a couple from the phonebook but they only cater to mass volume job. Thanks!

:stosh: to Rabie for hucking.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Orven said:
Actually, that'd be cool to get a helmet anodized (granted it has an aluminum shell)..

SD peeps, you guys know of a place that can anodize frames? From good to cheap (leaning towards the cheaper scale) and maybe somewhere in the SouthBay. I've checked a couple from the phonebook but they only cater to mass volume job. Thanks!

:stosh: to Rabie for hucking.
O,

are you willing to ship the frame? There are a few good suggestions in this thread HERE

I went to PKSelective recently www.pkselective.com -super quick turnaround (one day) - also did a great job. I also visited their showroom and they had some amazing Anodizing work there.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
According to our purchasing guys, there's nowhere in the county that does black, apparently it was more toxic than other colors, or something to that effect, so I hope you aren't looking for black. I'd say your best bet is to get in touch with a machine shop and see if you could include your frame (I guess that's what you want anno'd) with their next batch to the annodizer. On the other hand you're a DIY kind of guy, google for annodze bathtub and you'll find instructions on how to do it at home.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Kornphlake said:
According to our purchasing guys, there's nowhere in the county that does black, apparently it was more toxic than other colors, or something to that effect, so I hope you aren't looking for black. I'd say your best bet is to get in touch with a machine shop and see if you could include your frame (I guess that's what you want anno'd) with their next batch to the annodizer. On the other hand you're a DIY kind of guy, google for annodze bathtub and you'll find instructions on how to do it at home.
PK does black..

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Dude, it's super easy to do yourself. Just strip the frame of all the old paint, get some metalic flake in the color of choice, throw your frame and the flake into a half full bathtub,then plug in your hair dryer and chuck that sucker in there! Voila! anodized frame.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Pegboy said:
Dude, it's super easy to do yourself. Just strip the frame of all the old paint, get some metalic flake in the color of choice, throw your frame and the flake into a half full bathtub,then plug in your hair dryer and chuck that sucker in there! Voila! anodized frame.
Hmmm...you tickled my brain. What if I just strip the powder coating clean (chemically) and just clearcoat the thing. That's like Rabie-esque ghetto quality (quality is an oxymoron when applied with anything Rabie part-related).

Dave, got your PM and thanks.

Slacker

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles
Kornphlake said:

Give your purchasing guy this link http://www.bettyfordcenter.org/

I'm a purchasing guy too and work for an aerospace co., we have stuff ano'd black all the time.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
No need to get new purchasing guys, just more reason to not rely on them for technical information. We do have several parts that are Anno'd black but they're all done outside of San Diego county, mainly Los Angeles county. Maybe what I should have stated is that it's apparently cheaper to get black done outside of San Diego county, or maybe I should have just left that part out all together.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Orven said:
Hmmm...you tickled my brain. What if I just strip the powder coating clean (chemically) and just clearcoat the thing. That's like Rabie-esque ghetto quality (quality is an oxymoron when applied with anything Rabie part-related).

Dave, got your PM and thanks.
Rabie should anodize his collar bones, couldn't hurt.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Pegboy said:
Rabie should anodize his collar bones, couldn't hurt.
Hey, my chemical brother, do you happen to know how to strip powder coating without using sanders and drill bit attachment stuff ? I'm not too impressed with Heather's Hardrock paint strip job.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I have had good results with aircraft remover, hell if it can remove an entire aircraft completely then why not powdercoat?

Seriously though it works well, you can buy it at any auto body supply shop.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
punkassean said:
Seriously though it works well, you can buy it at any auto body supply shop.
So you just ask, "can I have an aircraft remover please?" Or "can I get an aircraft paint remover please?" --at the autobody supply shop? What's the term? I mean I don't want to sound like a dumbass cuz I already look like one. Thanks.
This is gonna be a cool project.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I think United Airlines should hire Aircraft Strippers. That'd be a lot cooler than an in-flight movie.

When I had a bike re-done by Olympic (they're cheap as hell, btw), they used some kind of 'chemical soak,' as they put it, to remove the old p-coat. Took about a week, and I think they claimed it was just de-greaser they were soaking it in. Might have been aircraft stripper, I guess, but whatever you use, I don't think it's going to take the powder off quickly. Aircraft stripper takes off wet paint pretty damned fast, but how it works on melted-on plastic, I can't say.

Punkass, did you just wipe the stuff on the bike, and it just peeled the powdercoat right off, or what?

MD

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Usually they have it in 1-gallon metal cans right there on the floor. It has a picture of a big jetplane on the front of the can and in big letter it says aircraft remover. I know the name is funny but that's what it's called. They even sometimes have it at OSH and regular hardware stores. There is a spray can version of it but it's more expensive. You use a PVC paint brush and brush it on, the key is to only brush in one direction, if you brush back over it, it reduces the affect. It says that in the directions so just read those and you'll be fine. Wear PVC gloves also, this crap is carcinogenic for one and it fawkin' burns like crazy for two!!!! If you get it on your skin just flush it with water and it instantly feels fine.

You will see the powdercoat start to bubble up almost instantly, wait a few more minutes (~5) and then you can use a wire brush to help scrape it off, if you don't want to scratch the bare metal below, I just use a high-pressure hose to blast it off and then after the frame's dry, apply more stripper to the areas where powdercoat is still left behind. Do not add more stripper to wet metal, it will do nothing, water dilutes the crap out of it. Some areas can be stubborn due to making a really good bond because of sandblasting etc. Just keep hitting the little spots until it's all gone. I get better results in direct sunlight.

MikeD, I like the airplane stripper idea you should pitch that to Virgin airlines or something :D Lawd knows I'd fly more!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Sir, would you prefer complimentary peanuts or a lap dance today?

umm...lemme see... I guess I'll go with the lapdance. :D

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Punkie, what's a PVC glove and brush? Sorry my dad locked me in the basement instead of the garage where the cool tools where during my childhood so I know next to nothing about the CoolToolz.

Lastly, if I can't pressed any pivot bearing (sealed cartridge) out, I assume not to paint/soak them with the airplane remover? Yes?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
PVC is a type of plastic, they make all kinds of stuff out of it, this type of stripper has no affect on it so it's the ideal material. You can get the gloves & brushes at OSH or just about anywhere maybe even the same place as the stripper.

How'd you know I secretly love punky brewster :confused:

You can get the bearings out with various sized sockets and a vise. but if you can't the stripper won't have an affect on them. But you will need them out if you want to have the frame refinished with powdercoat because the heat will liquify the bearing grease and not only dry them up but funk up the finish in that area.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
punkassean said:
PVC is a type of plastic, they make all kinds of stuff out of it, this type of stripper has no affect on it so it's the ideal material. You can get the gloves & brushes at OSH or just about anywhere maybe even the same place as the stripper.

How'd you know I secretly love punky brewster :confused:

You can get the bearings out with various sized sockets and a vise. but if you can't the stripper won't have an affect on them. But you will need them out if you want to have the frame refinished with powdercoat because the heat will liquify the bearing grease and not only dry them up but funk up the finish in that area.
cool. Thanks. I'm leaning more towards just leaving the frame with the raw stripped finish.
I liked punky brewster too...when she grew up. :devil:

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Sweet. This aircraft remover is cool.

test 1-2 1-2!

Next question: Does anyone know any reputable place/s in SD that know/s how to weld aluminum? Spot welding to be exact. Freddie? Spookydave?

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
punkassean said:
Looking good Orven :thumb:

Did you get any on your skin by chance :D
I actually did and nothing happened..yet. I noticed that it's hard to gauge how much of the remover needed to be applied to make it work. I think you have to apply a gunk of it for the paint to be lifted. Thin coating doesn't work. I will buy and try out the spray on version of the aircraft remover. I'll probably cover more area better that way too. Thanks for the heads up on this one..

and brian, don't worry. soon as I strip the redline, it will be used as a guinea pig once again for brushing and polishing aluminum. It's been a good frame when all is said and done. Oh hey, didn't you get your Giant welded on the seat tube sometime ago? I need something spot welded. Call me or something, I lost your cell number.