Quantcast

Anodizing vs. Powdercoat

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I tried searching but found little...to those who have done it or know the physical or chemical properties, what's a better option for a DH bike? I don't care about weight, the 4gs it's going to add to my frame are irrelevant to me. I'm more interested in cost, durability, and end results. My frame is ugly but it's kind of old...I don't want to spend a fortune to get a pretty bike that might still crack in a year...but it would be nice to have it lookin' good in 11.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
It's been easier for me to keep my powder coated frames looking good; a wash and a wipe down and the frame looks like new (except for scratches). On the other hand my anodized frames always looked more worn over time. The anodizing fades and dirt gets trapped in the surface more. Powder coating seems to give an additional layer of protection to the frame as well, sharp edges need to go deeper to scratch the tubing.

The number I've always heard thrown around for powder coat weight is ~100 grams.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Ano is more durable, it is a chemical reaction which deposits a very hard material on the surface of the aluminum. It is not the best idea to ano a used frame, the threads or bearing bores could end up being under sized post ano and you may run into issues when putting it back together.

Powder coat is basically dry paint that is baked on. More durable than rattle can paint, but nothing close to anodizing.

I think you are better off w/ powder coating. It is usually cheaper, more color options, and you can mask any parts you don't want painted.

But ano frames do look pretty cool....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
nah, i stripped the tape off and am going through the process of removing/replacing the bearings...but the paint is all chipped and scratched, I'd love to give it a freshening, but don't really want to shell out oodles of money...

I think I'm going to have the shock tuned and get a CC aheadslack.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I tried searching but found little...to those who have done it or know the physical or chemical properties, what's a better option for a DH bike? I don't care about weight, the 4gs it's going to add to my frame are irrelevant to me. I'm more interested in cost, durability, and end results. My frame is ugly but it's kind of old...I don't want to spend a fortune to get a pretty bike that might still crack in a year...but it would be nice to have it lookin' good in 11.
Hey. I know of a place in Waltham that does anodizing for a reasonable lot cost of around a little over ~ $100 that I dealt with at my previous job. Not sure if they do stripping, but I'd imagine that would knock up the cost if you don't do it yourself.

I can PM their info if you would like.

Anodizing is nice and does add a different type of durability that I prefer over PC. One thing to keep in mind is that you want to make sure that you're raw aluminum has a consistent surface finish before anodizing. Either machined, media blasted, or polished.

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
^^ for best results, you must use an etcher to prep the raw Al before anodizing. Aluminum oxidizes quickly when exposed to air. Anodizing uses a current in an electronics-grade sulfuric acid solution to wear away pure aluminum, revealing trace elements. The "hard coating" is formed from the decomposition of the in-tank aluminum cathode in the process.

Ano can be done easily at home, but is tricky. If you juice it for too long, your parts can turn black (depending on the amount and type of trace elements in the alloy). And, as someone stated above, you can undersize parts. On the other hand, the powder coating process can re-anneal a frame if it is baked incorrectly. Great care must be taken to properly prep threaded surfaces/bearing seats. Paint is your cheapest, safest option...but far less bling

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hmm...what I really want is polished, a la SKC's Sunday 1.1 (shown here, but I wasn't sure how to go about that. Looks like powder might be an easier way to go than ano.... I just want to make sure it's done right.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
hmm...what I really want is polished, a la SKC's Sunday 1.1 (shown here, but I wasn't sure how to go about that. Looks like powder might be an easier way to go than ano.... I just want to make sure it's done right.
Polishing is actually pretty easy, just very time-consuming(expensive if you have someone else do it). Pretty sure they make a "chrome" powdercoat that will give you a similar effect, but cheaper..

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Polished ftmfw, but it is a lot of work. My Sunday wasn't as pretty as SKC's rear tri, but it looked better all polished, IMO.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I'd try to find out what in the hell Santa Cruz is doing on their "bare/raw" frames because they look sick. It is a raw frame with a clearcloat, but they got the looks dialed on them IMO.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=655075&highlight=bare

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
I'd try to find out what in the hell Santa Cruz is doing on their "bare/raw" frames because they look sick. It is a raw frame with a clearcloat, but they got the looks dialed on them IMO.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=655075&highlight=bare
Just cleaned up a bit w/ some scotch brite or something, and then sprayed with clear.

You have to hit the frame w/ the clear quickly before it can get that dull oxidation going. It locks in that nice shiny aluminum sheen.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I like anodized frames, my current and last trail bike both have ano frames.

That said, the biggest problem with anodizing an old frame is that the anodize finish does not hide any imperfections; they will all show through the finish. So any scratches, nicks, or even different alloys of aluminum (such as weld rod) will show up after it is anodized. So to prep the frame to make it look good can be time consuming. This is why most anodized frames are bead blasted first, this is the easiest way to prep them. Polished ano frames are difficult to do which is why you don't see too many. Also, you can't just tape off areas to be masked since the frame is dipped in a tank of liquid. I have seen rubber plugs used in blind bolt holes, but I'm not sure what to do about large holes like bearing bores, BB threads, etc. However the decorative ano coating commonly used is quite thin and in most cases won't cause any issues with fits. Hardcoat anodizing is thicker and could be a problem, but that usually doesn't come in many colors and is therefore not used for these types of applications.

On the other hand, powdercoat is fairly easy. Just strip the old coating from the frame, give it a quick once over to make sure edges are smooth, etc, then mask areas you don't want covered (seat tube, BB threads, headset, bolt/bearing holes, etc) and get it coated.

eatmyshorts

Monkey
Jun 18, 2010
South OZ
Ano can produce good results depending on a couple of factors...

In the form of a welded frame, 6000 will take most colors more effectively than 7000.. 7000 tends to have less of a failure rate in producing a satisfactory finish if you stick to black or silver.. As mentioned about this is due to different alloys taking the dye differently..

Either way there is a percentage of frames that will not finish idealy.. Worst case just paint it..

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm in the process of stripping my TR450 custom powdercoat to get it anodised. For interests sake, I weighed the frame triangle before and after I stripped the super thick powdercoat off. 250grams difference. About the same as switching to a ti spring.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm in the process of stripping my TR450 custom powdercoat to get it anodised. For interests sake, I weighed the frame triangle before and after I stripped the super thick powdercoat off. 250grams difference. About the same as switching to a ti spring.
Your frame will snap in half and your illegitimate children will be born with herpes that WASN'T EVEN YOURS.