Quantcast

Another ‘Wrong Side Of Dawn’ GMT

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
So, lately I put the eggs, a banana, 1/2 and 1/2, a little vanilla, and a teeny, teeny pinch of salt into a bullet blender.
It is so, so good.
pure maple syrup and kerrygold butter.
I bet your family LOVES hearing the bullet blender whirring at 4 eh ehm....
french toast is nothing without syrup.
wrong. butter, sugar and cinnamon. mmmmm (it's the way the French do it...)
pure maple syrup is going to skyrocket in cost in the coming years.
though with these friggin temperature swings, we may end up with more than one "tapping season"... it's getting well below freezing at night here in the coming week, and above freezing during the day. the trees are going to be confused..
Finally stopped procrastinating and booked a telehealth appointment for this sleep shit. Just have to wait 2 weeks.
I made a "homebrew" version of this last night: https://www.amazon.ca/CanPrev-Magnesium-Melatonin-Sleep-Capsules/dp/B079VNYVHL?ref_=ast_sto_dp (I have magnesium, GABA, and melatonin seperately and took all three together). Holy fuck, it put me out like a ton of bricks within about 40 minutes. But on the other hand, it didn't get me through the night as I'd hoped, I still woke up a couple of times. Still... might be worth a try? it was a (trusted) pharmacist who recommended that brand of magnesium specifically, so I assume they're legit.
slept great.
prick. rub it in why don't ya...
Has anyone tried to find a new family doctor in the last few years?

If yeah, how did you choose one? I'm looking at google reviews of some of these offices and sheesh, what a bad picture most of them have. Though, I guess doctor offices aren't something that are reviewed on the regular on google? And I'm sure the majority that do leave a rating are the ones with a bad experience, mean while the rest of the patients just continue on with life and don't leave one.
Christ, from my experience, I took the first one I could get... didn't know there was the option of choice... maybe things have improved in the last 14 years? :rolleyes:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
WTF?

That's nuts.

In Michigan we would generally tap late Feb/early March depending on weather...

Deniers:

Check out the snowmobile map of Ontario. Its all shit.

red = closed = low/no snow
1706806011523.png

Check out the weather for where I work. Sunny and 5 degrees in February....wut :confused:
1706806087599.png

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Check out the snowmobile map of Ontario. Its all shit.

red = closed = low/no snow
View attachment 207093

Check out the weather for where I work. Sunny and 5 degrees in February....wut :confused:
View attachment 207094
to be clear, that's 5°C... (41 freedom °)

yeah, we've only had 1 snow fall here all winter, and that cover is getting pretty friggin thin and tired. Normally, we skate on the canal here from December till the end of February (or early March). it's only been open 1 week this year, and last year it didn't open at all. winter has been absolute garbage here for the past few years...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I bet your family LOVES hearing the bullet blender whirring at 4 eh ehm....

wrong. butter, sugar and cinnamon. mmmmm (it's the way the French do it...)

though with these friggin temperature swings, we may end up with more than one "tapping season"... it's getting well below freezing at night here in the coming week, and above freezing during the day. the trees are going to be confused..

I made a "homebrew" version of this last night: https://www.amazon.ca/CanPrev-Magnesium-Melatonin-Sleep-Capsules/dp/B079VNYVHL?ref_=ast_sto_dp (I have magnesium, GABA, and melatonin seperately and took all three together). Holy fuck, it put me out like a ton of bricks within about 40 minutes. But on the other hand, it didn't get me through the night as I'd hoped, I still woke up a couple of times. Still... might be worth a try? it was a (trusted) pharmacist who recommended that brand of magnesium specifically, so I assume they're legit.

prick. rub it in why don't ya...

Christ, from my experience, I took the first one I could get... didn't know there was the option of choice... maybe things have improved in the last 14 years? :rolleyes:
Its not exactly that, but I did try some sort of melatonin concoction sleep aid that I picked up at a pharmacy, but it didn't really do much.

I've been resorting to taking an antihistamine, which works very well. If I take it at around 9:00-9:30pm, by 10pm I am ready for bed and fall asleep very quick. Its amazing how much better I feel in general the day after a good actual sleep. But obviously its probably not in my best interest to keep taking those pills.

And yeah choice of a doctor... not really. I mean I guess there are choices, depending on how far I'm willing to drive. But the selection is few...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
friggin hell. I'm doing the summer camp registration hunger games now... registration opens in 2 minutes. have my pages loaded, and my mouse hovering over the "register now" button.

so fukkin stupid.

edited to add. it is done. wasn't too bad.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Speaking of French toast... this sourdough loaf makes for *incredible* French toast:

Let it sit a couple days so it gets a little stale. Then soak the SHIT out of it before cooking. :drool:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Speaking of French toast... this sourdough loaf makes for *incredible* French toast:

Let it sit a couple days so it gets a little stale. Then soak the SHIT out of it before cooking. :drool:
In France, French toast is called "pain perdu" (or "lost bread" - as in it's so stale, it can't be used). so they soak it to soften it. I like to add a bit of orange juice and zest. and soak it over night if possible... sourdough baguette done this way is amazing...

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
In France, French toast is called "pain perdu" (or "lost bread" - as in it's so stale, it can't be used). so they soak it to soften it. I like to add a bit of orange juice and zest. and soak it over night if possible... sourdough baguette done this way is amazing...
Good call on the overnight soak.

Goddam I could go for some French toast.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

Stale ? Put a slice in the toaster for a few minutes to dry it out. Stale French Toast…:rant:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
No kidding. I've only ever had it with fresh bread that gets dipped, not soaked.

What's your go to batter recipe? I'm going to have to give this a try.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
No kidding. I've only ever had it with fresh bread that gets dipped, not soaked.

What's your go to batter recipe? I'm going to have to give this a try.
I kinda eyeball it. I'd say it works out to about about 2 cups of (whole) milk, 2 eggs (beaten), a teaspoon of vanilla extract, 1/4 cup of (freshly squeezed) orange juice, the zest of the about 1/2 the orange (depending on how big it is).

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
An hour ago the truck was three blocks from my house. Then it was downtown. Now it’s where it is. C’mon, dammit. Deliver this shit so I can sign for it and go back to the Bong Shed™ !

IMG_8823.jpeg

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Watching some Mountain Bike Fails videos and it's all people being slammed so hard they can't move their legs or smashing their heads into rocks super hard. I just wanted to see some funny jump washouts not this scary shit.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
God damn, nsfw tags plz :drool::drool::drool:

Sure beats my carrots and yogurt for lunch...:rant:
Seriously, the alpastor was spot on greasy goodness. The wife wants chicken, so I will bring that home tomorrow.

The truck in town has been closed because homeboy jacked himself up. They have been out a couple weeks now, so we will flood them with business when they open up. But the truck at work is legit and the grilled pepper and onions are a nice touch.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
riding stationary bike at the y. normally would be planning to bag work and head for the hills tomorrow 60* and sunny. but guess i meed to heal mih brain first. fuckity fuck.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Just got done watching my oldest son's school play. He's in grade 8 drama. It was actually fun. They did a great job. But I could tell he really loving it... We'll see where this goes...