Quantcast

another 24h comming up: thinking about buying my own lights

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
I did a 24h even last year an had a blast, there's another one next month and then in November, thinknig of buying my own lights, anyone got anything to reccomend, I'm on a serious budget, I thinking about the Sigma mirage.

Anything I need to beware or aware of when I go shopping ??

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
beware of crappy systems.

know how long it's dark
know how many lighting systems you have at your disposal
the more burn time the better

i can only recommend the night rider HID. It has the longest burn time of any single system on the market. you'd have to have 3 to 4 of some of the cheaper models to match the power output and burn time of the hid system.

good luck

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Yep HID lights are the best. Expensive but so worthwhile if you ride at night a lot. I did the 24hour in a 10 person team at Whistler last weekend. I had two HID Niteriders, one on the bar and one on the helmet. I was coming up on riders so fast it was embarasing. To me. They'd been out around 11 hours by my second lap so of course I was way fresher. There were some others too who were in the same boat as I was but with crappy lights. They'd suddenly become aware of this bright light coming up on them and pull over like I was a cop or something.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
dude i didnt know you were out there, we could have hooked up for a beer.
How did your team do?
what did you think of the course?
y'all totally lucked out that you didnt have to do the climb of doom that we did.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
And we won best pit too. $500 off next years entry. I get pretty focused when I race. I think I'm pretty polite when I want to pass or I sense some one wanting to pass me. I was doing a little "whip poor will" whistle when I came up on slower riders. But talking on the trail. nope not me. Swearing at my bike when it hit the tree and bent the hanger...yep.

I was in green Steed Cycles gear. Small steel blue anodized Blur.

I loved the course. The tight singletrack is what I live for and I love Whistler terrain for the rocks which don't move. In North Van we get a lot of glacial till, loose rounded boulders which move around under the tires.

The first rooty section was deadly though. I went down first lap. I think I bruised some ribs or tore a pectoral muscle up high on the left side. It still kills. But its OK when I ride. The night lap I took easy through there as the pain was pretty significant, but went away after that section. Third lap I stepped over the bars when I slid on something and I guess the back end smacked a tree and bent the hanger. There was bark in the derailleur anyway. I managed to adjust the barrel enough to get it to work except for little gear. I middle ringed our last climb which ended up faster.

How did you do? I take it you were solo if you had the longer climb?

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
oldfart said:
How did you do? I take it you were solo if you had the longer climb?
cool if you got a picture of you tent i'd like to see it.

yea i was racing the WCSolo 30-34 and i got 9th. The single track out there is almost identical to what we have here so i felt at home.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Mmm just got a shiny new Light and Motion Solo MV (Midrange system), it's soooo much better than my old Specialized Fireball, even on the lowest setting!

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
The Toninator said:
cool if you got a picture of you tent i'd like to see it.

yea i was racing the WCSolo 30-34 and i got 9th. The single track out there is almost identical to what we have here so i felt at home.
Tent sssss. Not tent. We had 5 pop up tents plus a 2X4 and tarp "garage" for the bikes and standssss. Plus our team captain bribed the Blackcomb lift works shack empoyees with a case of beer so we could run 150 feet of extension cord for our halogen work light, charge batteries and power the TV. We also had a small foose ball table, a couple of playpens and 3 babies two dogs and 4 VW vans. We also offered to bribe the "Fun Police" with beer and dope.

No pics though.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
oldfart said:
Tent sssss. Not tent. We had 5 pop up tents plus a 2X4 and tarp "garage" for the bikes and standssss. Plus our team captain bribed the Blackcomb lift works shack empoyees with a case of beer so we could run 150 feet of extension cord for our halogen work light, charge batteries and power the TV. We also had a small foose ball table, a couple of playpens and 3 babies two dogs and 4 VW vans. We also offered to bribe the "Fun Police" with beer and dope.

No pics though.
wow sounds like y'all have an awesome ****ing setup! you win for sure :)