Quantcast

Another DH spot falls to poor decision making

DHblur

Monkey
Jul 23, 2003
Arvada, CO
Read it for yourself. www.leelikesbikes.

Ahhh man could I rant for a while on this one. But I will just say this:

1.)Bridges suck!!! The number one way to piss a land owner or Forest Service off is to build bridges. They look intimidating to viewers and generally require the distruction of trees to help build them. They were a major reason behind those trails in Colorado Springs getting shut down and now our only front range DH spot is gone because of them too. Don't bother with them, they're not even fun and they look dumb too.

2.)Be respectful!!! A land owner gives you minimal stipulations to use his property at no charge and you can't even abide by that? C'mon! I understand that the people that were building those bridges were responsible for securing the site anyway and without that we wouldn't have had the time we did on it, but when you do something like this, you not only lose a spot for yourself and all of us but you put yet another black eye on our portion of the sport. Think!

3.) Finally, I am utterly disgusted that the people that were supposed to be the voice for colorado downhillers a couple of years ago(remember the CDCC) are the same people(for the most part) that have lead the charge in building poor trail on the two most recent shut down spots. It's no wonder we are in the state with our trails that we are.

That's all I have to say. It was good while it lasted and ultimately I would hope that our local downhillers would learn from this and stop building stuff that land owners don't want them to. However, ultimately I know some goon is going to show up and build bridges on the next good spot that pops up so what can I do but sit here and rant. This industry makes me frustrated to say the least.

instigator34

Chimp
Mar 23, 2005
first the bridges at said spot were sick. if you can't ride you don't have to dis it. second if you haven't spent uncountable hours up there building you should keep yer mouth shut. third it is not certain that the land with the wooden stunts belongs to the disgruntled land owner.fourth do not confuse the cdcc with rpm. and last but certainly not least, never mention this riding spot on the internet again.

EVILTWIN

Monkey
Mar 9, 2005
the loins of god
boys boys boys....we're all PISSED. So whats with this CDCC? Basically, they took my 10 dollars and ran!? I mean where are they? And arent they directly responsible for getting trails shut down rather that opened? Hell, I'll give em 1000 dollars if i thought it would help. We really need to do something about our sport. Its ALWAYS the same ol' same ol' just like Lee said. The "hot spot" is going to surface to the groms eventually. Do we lobby Boulder county? A private party? Nothings worked so far, we need to change something.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Funny about the "one last run" thing in his book (bibs)

and it's a ripoff of FLOW the book. (the skill/challenge chart)

DHblur

Monkey
Jul 23, 2003
Arvada, CO
Okay, INSTIGATOR34, let me take this section by section.

The bridges were not sick!!! They were gay, and the land owner had specifically said not to put them in. Simple as that. And don't make me get into the lack of talent it takes to ride those things. They aren't that hard I assure you.

Second, I did spend plenty of time up there with a shovel in my hand. Why do think I am so pissed off. I used a shovel and a pick which should have been all that was used. Not drills and wooden planks.

Third, even if the land does not belong to the guy that was there sunday, the land owner specifically said, "No bridges." So it shouldn't have been done.

Also, what does your comment about the CDCC and RPM have to do with anything. I ride for RPM and I can assure you that no RPM racer has been responsible for the closing of any trails ever.

Finally, do you honestly think that those trails were secret anymore. I can list on less than one hand everyone that I ever showed those trails to, and most of them had been invited by other people. Yet everyday I showed up there, those guys had new people up there. Yet the people that supposedly "ran the trails" had no concern for what the land owner might think about that many people running up and down his property every weekend.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
instigator34 said:
first the bridges at said spot were sick. if you can't ride you don't have to dis it. second if you haven't spent uncountable hours up there building you should keep yer mouth shut. third it is not certain that the land with the wooden stunts belongs to the disgruntled land owner.fourth do not confuse the cdcc with rpm. and last but certainly not least, never mention this riding spot on the internet again.

First off - you've got a fitting rm name . . .

Also, let me say that I've never ridden these trails, nor do I know where they are. Now then - I'd like to counter your accusation of RPM that you posted, and generally I'm not one to jump in a stir things up:
If you'll kindly notice the avatar in the first post, you'll see that it is a RPM logo. The guy who posted first is most likely in the know, rides for RPM and is one helluva racer - I respect him, and the RPM crew, alot. I find it hard to believe that an RPM rider would come out and accuse his own team, as you state, of causing this.

And then there is the CDCC - great idea, lots of backing from a lot of people, horrible follow-up, organization, or even simple initiative beyond collecting dues (which I paid . . .)

Finally, you say to never mention the spot again - as you can see, everyone is keeping the location (beyond a VERY general description of "the 1-70 corridor") below the cover.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Dammit I never even got to ride at this nondescript spot that I know nothing about....

What couldnt my bike have gotten here 2 months ago?

And yes, bridges do suck, big time.

instigator34

Chimp
Mar 23, 2005
if you don't want to ride on wooden stunts then don't. although the only reason i can see not too is that you can't. i don't race but you don't see me dissing people who do. did i type rpm i meant rmd (rocky mountain descent). just cause the team captain of rmd was also cdcc chairman doesn't mean that the two entities were affiliated. big crank also had a rider on the board and so were alot of other talented and dedicated riders (ametuer and pro). also rmd did not build the wood in the springs. that was some other riders. alls that happened, concerning the springs, was a couple of rmd riders were misquoted in a newspaper article (talking about their numerous injuries, i believe). also blur, did you ever talk to the land owners before you rode or built up there? and yeah the guys who built the stuff invited new guys to come ride, did they ever invite you? why don't you find your own place to ride. and who appointed you spokesman for this spot anyway? shut up and ride (or dig).

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
instigator34 said:
The point of getting mad wasn't to diss the bridges (despite him not liking them), the point of the post was to say that people were retarded and took advantage of a good thing. They went too far with the building of trails on the guy's land that he graciously was letting people use and so it shouldn't be about "whining about the guy getting pissed" it should be about whining about why people were retarded enough to abuse their privileges. :nopity: :mumble:

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
instigator34 said:
if you don't want to ride on wooden stunts then don't. although the only reason i can see not too is that you can't. i don't race but you don't see me dissing people who do. did i type rpm i meant rmd (rocky mountain descent). just cause the team captain of rmd was also cdcc chairman doesn't mean that the two entities were affiliated. big crank also had a rider on the board and so were alot of other talented and dedicated riders (ametuer and pro). also rmd did not build the wood in the springs. that was some other riders. alls that happened, concerning the springs, was a couple of rmd riders were misquoted in a newspaper article (talking about their numerous injuries, i believe). also blur, did you ever talk to the land owners before you rode or built up there? and yeah the guys who built the stuff invited new guys to come ride, did they ever invite you? why don't you find your own place to ride. and who appointed you spokesman for this spot anyway? shut up and ride (or dig).
There's still quite a few things down here.:D

pdnwps

Chimp
Jul 14, 2003
1) Everyone has their likes and dislikes about trail features. If you like it, give props to the builder. If you don't, then don't ride it...personal attacks are unnecessary.

2) RMD and CDCC have nothing to do with each other. If you have a problem with what used to be the CDCC, take it up with the former board members.

3) I don't race for RMD nor do I have anything to do with the CDCC.

4) Let's get the story straight here; people don't have the facts and are pointing fingers based on assumptions. Those trails exists on land that was once mined. From top to bottom the trails cross through many claim boundaries, i.e., several land owners are involved. For you to assume that these guys intentionally broke a trust is incorrect. In fact, where the bridges are built, is/was *thought* to be on another owners' land (and that owner doesn't care about the wood). The person we met is in fact *one* of the owners', where his boundaries begin and end are still in question. The bottom line is, no matter where his land resides, the trails cross it at some point, therefore his opinion and trust is of great significance to the preservation of those trails. But let's get this straight, people are making this sound like the builders blatantly and intentionally broke an agreement between one land owner...that's simply wrong.

5) With regards to the secrecy of the trails, as of recent months, this place has become much more "open door". I'm not one of the starters, but I've been riding there for years. And for a long time, this place was strongly protected. If you got a personal invite, that was all good, if you didn't, you were poaching. And legally speaking, this *is* private land; if you don't have an invite, you're trespassing. It wasn't until these last few months, did the "starters" adopt a much more open door policy. I think they realized that this territorial-my turf-your turf-pissing contest doesn't help our sport. I was glad to see it. Next thing you know, there were coordinated dig days out there and it was good to see the camaraderie. However, the publicity this has gotten combined with the finger pointing and flaming is probably going to set back the little good will that ever existed. Especially when these attacks are based on wrong assumptions. No doubt, this place is shutdown. But if on the remote chance this place is salvaged, it wouldn't surprise me if the open door attitude is reversed. Think before you flame and you should realize, that's not the right approach.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
thank f'n god i am in montana, just this morning before class i did a 14 mile dh that is a 30 minute drive to the top from my campus. not to mention the hunreds of other uber gnar trails around here (from world cup dh speed and berms to 20+ foot hucks and 40 foot gaps) colorado needs to pull their heads out of their asses and think this through.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
The problem with trying to keep a trail "secret" is that it is not possible. You can keep a trail location from being common knowledge and keep it off the internet but word is going to spread. I have never been to said spot but I have been invited there, sadly I had no bike at the time. You can't expect to keep a trail all to yourselves forever, people will find out. Around here, even if only serious riders and pros were allowed up there that's still a huge number of people. As far as trail "ownership" the people who built the trail certainly have some authority, but unless you built it on your land you really dont own anything. The best thing to do is just spread the word as much as possible to the riders about what is and is not allowed and do what you can to maintain a good relationship with the land owner. If the landowner doesnt want bridges, than for gods sake dont build bridges, they are gay anyway.

Brendan, if Lee can salvage this and you need people to come tear down bridges and plant trees, give me call. The V10 will be here soon and it would be just lovely if I had a place to ride it.

1speed

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
boulder
"and last but certainly not least, never mention this riding spot on the internet again."

sorry to those that don't agree but i am with instigator on this point. you have to earn your way into trails around here. trails are always being closed on the front range DH, XC, etc and i have seen it happen numerous times because of over crowding. even if it seems a lot of people know about a trail, it never hurts to keep it on the DL. in this specific case, the trail was already closed and the real issue is riders losing something great, so i am not flaming the original poster. as a rule i never mention any trails that are not on maps.

i don't ride DH but i am bummed you guys got kicked out of what sounded like a sweet place to ride. good luck with the next area

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Dexter, what's MT's B school rank? If it's top 50 I'm transferring.

This is so beurocratic and stupid. 80127 DH will live on and live strong with plenty of trails to shuttle that FIVE, that's right FIVE people will ever know about, so don't even ask.

I love the way we're turning into outcasts of the outdoor world. The bastard child of action sports. It's sweet...

Instigator, READ the post before you "defend" your stance on an issue. Brendon (DHblur) was simply saying the reason the trails got shut down was because of your beloved bridges.

I think everybody would agree the point of having shuttleable DH trails is to get better in a hurry. Bridges don't need to be part of this equation when the trails were as steep and gnarable as ***** *******

Oh well, this doesn't suprise me in the least.

instigator34

Chimp
Mar 23, 2005
©2001 said:
karma's a bitch i guess.
what's that suspose to mean?

4) Let's get the story straight here; people don't have the facts and are pointing fingers based on assumptions. Those trails exists on land that was once mined. From top to bottom the trails cross through many claim boundaries, i.e., several land owners are involved. For you to assume that these guys intentionally broke a trust is incorrect. In fact, where the bridges are built, is/was *thought* to be on another owners' land (and that owner doesn't care about the wood). The person we met is in fact *one* of the owners', where his boundaries begin and end are still in question. The bottom line is, no matter where his land resides, the trails cross it at some point, therefore his opinion and trust is of great significance to the preservation of those trails. But let's get this straight, people are making this sound like the builders blatantly and intentionally broke an agreement between one land owner...that's simply wrong.
thank you.

DHblur

Monkey
Jul 23, 2003
Arvada, CO
Okay Instigator. You are very wrong. RMD did build bridges on that property no doubt about it. I was there when it was happening. And don't say that they honestly thought they were allowed to. Everytime I heard a certain RMD rider who was one of the leaders of the trail building going on, say that he didn't really care because he wasn't worried about the land owners up there, it made me sick.

RMD was very much the CDCC and visa versa. Just because one of the Big Crank riders paid his dues doesn't mean he was a part of it.

And in response to whether or not I was invited, yes I was personally invited by an RMD rider and rode in his truck up there for the first time.

Also, why are you even so worried about the trails being secret anymore? Have you noticed the topic of this post?... The trails are shut down because of you guys and your bridge fetishes. Done deal

instigator34

Chimp
Mar 23, 2005
"RMD did build bridges on that property no doubt about it."

actually i was talking about co springs when i said that they did not build the bridges. the bridges that i have ridden in the springs were built by different riders.

oh, and when i'm "invited" somewhere i usually show the people who invited me some respect. as far as rmd and cdcc goes you guys can figure that out.

and yes the trails are closed. never, ever go there again. anyone.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
ha ha bridge fetish b you crack me up same with you spoons. well **** jeff when i applied we where like 27th or something but since iv been here its probably like 150 but check it out its f'n awesomo out here i just went on a street ride around campus and the town and saw more dime pieces out tanning on lawns topless (on their stomachs dammit) than i have seen in mexico. i love me some titties

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
p.s. everyone who is in the racing "know" has heard and or ridden those trials before they where hardly a secret you boner

DHblur

Monkey
Jul 23, 2003
Arvada, CO
actually i was talking about co springs when i said that they did not build the bridges. the bridges that i have ridden in the springs were built by different riders.
Either way about it, RMD had a major roll in making poor decisions in inviting media of that magnitude to borderline legal trails in the Springs. Thus that trail was shut down or at least downsized quite a bit. Much like that, they knew that it was at best borderline to build bridges and stunts on that trail and it has yet again cost us.

And just to reiterate, I don't have a problem with people who ride bridges. I find hucking boring and not challenging yes, and did I think that the bridges at Idaho springs were worth losing trails over... no! Only very few of the best bridge set ups in Canada do I look at and say,"hey that's kinda interesting." The bridges at Idaho springs did not do that to me and sure were not challenging enough to warrant losing a riding spot over. But all personal biases aside... I have been told since day 1, by RMD riders and leaders that the only stipulation by the land owner was stunts and bridges. They knew that, they built it and now we have yet another land owner mad at us in this state.

I guess maybe one day we'll run out of land owners to piss off here and probably only then will all of this stop.

DHDUDE

Chimp
Mar 31, 2005
If you have something you'd like to say, why don't you stop implying people in this little sewing circle and confront them in person. Everyone knows who you are and everyone knows who you're talking about, yet you sit on this website talking about specific people and fail to truly take responsiblity and confront them. By the way, if you weren't such a putz I'd take you to some other "secret" trails with some wood and some stunts that I'm sure would also be stupid, easy and not fun for you.

The Lazian

Chimp
Mar 26, 2004
Arvada CO the "(303)"
its goin'

if anything ill use by abundant percacet resourse to barter my way to and from races.

goin' on lucky week #13. can't wait to get the cast off and ride instead of reading about all of this hatred and dischord :drool:

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
The Lazian said:
can't wait to get the cast off and ride instead of reading about all of this hatred and dischord :drool:
Me too, I was really hoping to take my V10 straight to the trail we are talking about as soon as I got it, but alas...

I go in on tuesday to get the big cast off, he originally said I would need another smaller cast but Im hoping to get out of there with a brace or something. Ive always healed ahead of schedule in the past, so hopefully it will be good news. When does yours come off?

instigator34

Chimp
Mar 23, 2005
well blur, i'd start looking for your own place to ride. you won't be invited to any other trails built by rmd and friends, and if for some reason their current site is saved, i wouldn't show my face there, if i were you.

DHDUDE

Chimp
Mar 31, 2005
Exactly. BLUR, as stated by instigator, you will NOT be welcome at the new trails. You are a smack-talking, jibber-jabberin', PUNK!

DHblur

Monkey
Jul 23, 2003
Arvada, CO
well blur, i'd start looking for your own place to ride. you won't be invited to any other trails built by rmd and friends, and if for some reason their current site is saved, i wouldn't show my face there, if i were you.

Dude, I really don't want to be associated with trails built by RMD and friends. All it does is give people bad names.

Oh, and I shouldn't show my face there??? I shouldn't show my face there... keep in mind the people that had no respect for the land owner and ultimately got the trails shut down was RMD and friends. Those are the people that shouldn't show their faces up there. And hopefully they won't, because they only seem to be making things worse for the DH community around here. :nuts:

Frankly I'll be honest, I'm not as mad the individuals in this situation as I am about the whole sitiuation itself. I'm just so sick of places being shut down around here because of a lack of respect for landowners, property, liability etc. Gold hill was the same way. People lost respect for whose trails they were and the terrain that was up there and eventually and near fatal accident got the land owner fearful and he canned it. If people had just respected the type of riding that was up there, those who enjoyed, and had the skill level to ride it, would still have it. All I'm asking for is a little respect. If the DH community keeps taking a "my way or the highway" approach, we'll get no where.

Phil Winn

Chimp
Apr 1, 2005
Guys,

Let's stop flaming Instigator! The quote below is 100% accurate for those in the know. If it wasn't for the starters, then we wouldn't even have a place to ride in the first place. They originally got permission from multiple land owners, they built all the trails and jumps. Then they opened it up to several riders in the past few months. Something I've NEVER seen from a group. As for digging, I've watched these guys dig for over 2 years. 3 hrs of digging on dig day (was much appreciated) however does NOT give you the right to flame the guys that originally built and started these trails.

We can only work to make things better and pointing fingers is not a good start.

"4) Let's get the story straight here; people don't have the facts and are pointing fingers based on assumptions. Those trails exists on land that was once mined. From top to bottom the trails cross through many claim boundaries, i.e., several land owners are involved. For you to assume that these guys intentionally broke a trust is incorrect. In fact, where the bridges are built, is/was *thought* to be on another owners' land (and that owner doesn't care about the wood). The person we met is in fact *one* of the owners', where his boundaries begin and end are still in question. The bottom line is, no matter where his land resides, the trails cross it at some point, therefore his opinion and trust is of great significance to the preservation of those trails. But let's get this straight, people are making this sound like the builders blatantly and intentionally broke an agreement between one land owner...that's simply wrong.

5) With regards to the secrecy of the trails, as of recent months, this place has become much more "open door". I'm not one of the starters, but I've been riding there for years. And for a long time, this place was strongly protected. If you got a personal invite, that was all good, if you didn't, you were poaching. And legally speaking, this *is* private land; if you don't have an invite, you're trespassing. It wasn't until these last few months, did the "starters" adopt a much more open door policy. I think they realized that this territorial-my turf-your turf-pissing contest doesn't help our sport. I was glad to see it. Next thing you know, there were coordinated dig days out there and it was good to see the camaraderie. However, the publicity this has gotten combined with the finger pointing and flaming is probably going to set back the little good will that ever existed. Especially when these attacks are based on wrong assumptions. No doubt, this place is shutdown. But if on the remote chance this place is salvaged, it wouldn't surprise me if the open door attitude is reversed. Think before you flame and you should realize, that's not the right approach."

DHDUDE

Chimp
Mar 31, 2005
I cannot believe what a disrespectful little bastard you are. As you stated yourself, the only reason you EVER got to ride those trails is because one of the RMD (which doesn't even exist anymore) guys invited you and showed you where they are. So far as not being associated with RMD and friends, you have no worries, the only association that there's any potential to be is for RMD and friends to give you the beating you're so desperately asking for. When you have your own riding spot that you've put countless hours into (you didn't do CRAP in Idaho Springs, that is a FACT) then you can talk, for now why don't you shut your punk trap.

fly rider

Chimp
Mar 31, 2005
broomfield
I just wanted to address RMD's relationship with CDCC. Shane meyer was captain of RMD and board chairman of the CDCC. Some members of the CDCC chose to volunteer hours at the dual course in Downieville. These members, including Shane and myself, honestly thought that there was a possibility that we would be allowed to build more dh trails at this location. I am not a member, nor have I ever been a member of RMD, but as far as I know RMD never gained finacially from the construction of that track. They only wanted a place to ride their bikes, as did CDCC members.

As for the trails on this thread, they would not even be there were it not for RMD, and for that we should all be grateful. Personally I consider RMD a very dedicated group of riders and trailbuilders. What happened here was unfortunate, they were only trying to build stuff that was fun to ride. I know that RMD was very grateful to the landowners for letting them use the land and what happened last Sunday was based on a misunderstand of property lines that have not been surveyed in years. To say that RMD intentionally disregarded the land owners wishes is unfair. Having said that, I think that resolution of the problem be left to RMD since they were the ones who had the original agreement with the land owner. I would encourage other parties to NOT call the land owner asking him to change his mind. This can only agrevate the situation.