Quantcast

Another DH spot falls to poor decision making

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
EVILTWIN said:
I can only imagine. A run built for DH on the front range....probably something wide open...bermed and some 30ft tucked in the breeze tables. Would almost be able to ride year round, no uphill traffic...
It's in the works. It looks like we have a pretty solid and dedicated ally in Open Space now, and getting this done is his number one agenda. Keep your ears open, hopefully there will be more developments in the near future, but it sounds like alot of progress on the administrative level has already been made.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
ladge said:
I like hearing these ideas somewhat, but then again it chaps my arse that things couldn't be that simple here as well, after all I think we just all want to ride. I'm sure if the people who built the stunts could turn time back, we'd all rather have the trail to ride stunt free than no trail like we have now.

My only question maybe you or sskilz can shed some light on - how does full disclosure and cooperation protect against any landowner liability for someone who gets hurt on their property and wants to sue? How does that prevent someone who doesn't know the rules and regs the landowner wants followed, and take up trail improvement on their own? The only way I can figure, is by only showing trails to people who are responsible for their own actions, check with other riders on the trail, and won't run to the newspaper trying to get some coverage for whatever reasons.

And yes, the I.S. trail appears to have been closed due to stunt building. But that trail existed for years without the stunts. Too me, it seems like more and more people were finding out about it until someone found out about it and decided to perform "track editor" on the trail and effed it for all of us. Maybe if people were more selective as to who they shared the trail with, that wouldn't have happened, but I guess I can't really prove that.

Like everyone is saying, no reason to kick a dead horse for bucking...I guess some of us just view things differently...I remember when trail closures and such was something California and other places had to deal with and I felt lucky, now the trend has infiltrated CO.
I am no lawyer, so obviously I cannot give you the answers to this )hell, I didn't even sleep at a holiday inn express last night), but i can give some insight.

Full disclosure and cooperation with owners guarantees that this sort of building won't happen. Freelance trail building and construction CANNOT happen. Everything that is built must be done with full diclosure to the landowers and their aproval. In the end, it is still private property, if he gets drunk one das and says everyboy off - for good - then it's his choice. Maybe this guy just got fed up, who knows.

As for rider education, signage goes a long way to helping this (and can also help to legitimize the area). Beeing selective and acting like outlaws will only help to push our sport further into the background, and will in NO way legitimize trail use which we deserve. Hell horseback riders get their own damn trails, why can't we?

DHDUDE

Chimp
Mar 31, 2005
A good person to speak with regarding this entire topic would be Brent T., the guy who started, built and maintains the Bootleg Canyon trails in Boulder City, NV. I've been there before and just got back from another trip yesterday and the trails there are super techy and fun. Brent has done a brilliant job of working with the locals and getting them to look at our sport as a benefit to the community/economy in Boulder City. And so far as there not being any big features on these new front range trails, forget that!!! 30+ foot doubles, huge concrete lips, and roads gaps(Kent) are there for the taking in Boulder City (and anywhere in Canada too just for the record) for anyone who wants to give them a shot. It should be no different here.

fly rider

Chimp
Mar 31, 2005
broomfield
JeffCo actually has talked to Brent and is impressed with Bootleg Canyon. I was there about four years ago when he was just getting things going, I hadn't realized that he had built anything that big. Sweet.

downhill24/7

Chimp
Jan 31, 2005
Boulder
wood is super sick, wat r u talking about, its definatelly dumb to do it in the wrong place without a doubt, ive put in some backbreaking hours with wood, and noone likes it, noone. i swear, if there is any possible way for some pussy ass xc rider to get there he'll bitch about how scetch and unsafe it is and just act cool and go around it, go where noone else does, where noone would think to go and dont bring anyone to ur spot, maybe bring one or 2 uthr ppl, make them help u work, ive found that when you go to secluded places wood lasts if u keep it anonnymous, also if they help build they wont want to see it torn down so they'll keep theyre mouths shut. i live in cali and im moving to boulder,, if i can get wood to last in cali then surely it could last in colorado, just dont be so ignorant about it

DHblur

Monkey
Jul 23, 2003
Arvada, CO
wood is super sick, wat r u talking about, its definatelly dumb to do it in the wrong place without a doubt, ive put in some backbreaking hours with wood, and noone likes it, noone. i swear, if there is any possible way for some pussy ass xc rider to get there he'll bitch about how scetch and unsafe it is and just act cool and go around it, go where noone else does, where noone would think to go and dont bring anyone to ur spot, maybe bring one or 2 uthr ppl, make them help u work, ive found that when you go to secluded places wood lasts if u keep it anonnymous, also if they help build they wont want to see it torn down so they'll keep theyre mouths shut. i live in cali and im moving to boulder,, if i can get wood to last in cali then surely it could last in colorado, just dont be so ignorant about it

HUH??????? I got lost somewhere?

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
downhill24/7 said:
You should probably learn how to speak english at some point.