Quantcast

another dirtbag question

mr-drew

Chimp
Feb 6, 2008
trying to decide between dirtbag, and new bullit. Which frame will hold more true and willingly accept the greatest abbuse with the least amount of maintenance

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
in my opinion...the dirtbag. those things are so beefy and i think to take more abuse. i know the bullit is built to be strong freeride, but it just doesn't feel as tough as the dirtbag when you ride it

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
I've got a year in on my '06 Dirtbag, the only bike I'll replace it with is another Dirtbag and by the way it's holding up I'm not going to need to do that any time soon! The pivots have never loosened up by themselves, and the frame is sturdy. Really sturdy. A lot of lateral stiffness too, which is one weak spot on any high-chainstay single-pivot bike I've owned or ridden.

mr-drew

Chimp
Feb 6, 2008
thanks guys, so in terms of maintenance and just good ole rugidability the dirtbag is what you a re recomending. just one more question to top it all off, do i really need 36 spokes per wheel, is it just over kill?

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
32 spoke, laced 3X
Built well, that is all that you need.

But I went with a Bullit

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
thanks guys, so in terms of maintenance and just good ole rugidability the dirtbag is what you a re recomending. just one more question to top it all off, do i really need 36 spokes per wheel, is it just over kill?
If you're talking about the TBC wheels, the 36s are redunkulous. They've got a bigger rim too. The 32s should be fine.

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
ive owned 2 Santa Cruz Bullits and @ Transition Dirtbags, that both take alot of abuse, but i liked the ride/feel of the Dirtbag and the burlyness of the frame over the bullit. and you cant beat the company, TBC is much better to work with and talk to.

mr-drew

Chimp
Feb 6, 2008
good stuff, thanks alot! so basically for confidence the dirtbag just gives you the feeling the bullit would not, are there any other frames made in north america that would give you confidence, low maintenance and burliness like the dirtbag?

mr-drew

Chimp
Feb 6, 2008
sweet, yea i i realized after i miss typed it, but ahh, i found a deal on a uzzi frame, 1600 with dhx 5.0 just found it, whould i take it over the transition?

mr-drew

Chimp
Feb 6, 2008
dudes i still am all over the place with it, im now even looking at the demo series, but they don't look so hot for pedling

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
After owning a dirtbag, and now riding a demo, i can say that the demo pedals as good, if not better than the dirtbag. The dirtbag is a rad bike, and it feels like less of a boat than the demo on tight trails, but the demo feels better at speed. My demo and dirtbag weighed the same: 42. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the bikes you're looking at.