Quantcast

Another easy/dumb question...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
1- How much force should I have to use to push Profiles onto the spindle? I bought a used spindle and I can see that a few teeth are tweaked, and it's REALLY hard to get the ams on there. Do I need a new spindle?

2- If I've got exactly 80mm of exposed stanchion on my lowered Nemesis Z1 (05) do I have 65 or 80mm of travel?

Thanks!

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Hmm and Hmmm.

1) Sounds like your spindle needs to be replaced. When you say a few teeth are tweaked.... thats a really small tolerance. I just installed 2 today and they go on tight, but steady pressure on the crank bolt or tool should make them slide on. If you feel like youre going to break something... you probably are.

2) Ask Brad.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I think (and could be wrong) The exposed travel on a zocchi is the actual amount of travel. Manipoo's on the other hand have like 20 extra mm of exposed stanchion that does not equal travel.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
if the spindle damage is just at the very end, file the bujeebus out of the thing until you can fit into the crank arm.

however, you seem to be pretty anal about your bikes (i.e. 1\4" top tube length differences), so why not just get a good non-damaged spindle? not flaming. 'just saying' is all I'm saying.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
1- How much force should I have to use to push Profiles onto the spindle? I bought a used spindle and I can see that a few teeth are tweaked, and it's REALLY hard to get the ams on there. Do I need a new spindle?

2- If I've got exactly 80mm of exposed stanchion on my lowered Nemesis Z1 (05) do I have 65 or 80mm of travel?

Thanks!
If 80-mm is showing you have 80-mm of travel , make sure to double check the air pressure to make sure it's even between both legs .

Check your sag also when you get on the bike , sag should only be 1/4 -1/2 for street then the fork should ramp up pretty progressively after that .

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
if the spindle damage is just at the very end, file the bujeebus out of the thing until you can fit into the crank arm.

however, you seem to be pretty anal about your bikes (i.e. 1\4" top tube length differences), so why not just get a good non-damaged spindle? not flaming. 'just saying' is all I'm saying.
It's kinda all over. I bought a used spindle because it didn't stick out to me as something that could get damaged and because I save money where I can. Fit of a bike is IMO important, a spindle (I thought) was not.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
If the teeth on the spindle are slightly tweaked, you can try taking a utility knife blade and smoothing the spline lines. Just be careful. I've done this before on various buggered threads and it's helped. If it's still tweaked then it's new spindle time.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
There are a fair amount that are really bent (like almost to the one next to it). I guess I'll just spring for the ti spindle now.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Well I looked at it again and by me forcing my arm on it straightened a lot of the splines but I'm just gonna get the ti.

I finally got my wheels built and I put 'em on the bike. OMG the FG is SOOOO low and whippy! I'm stoked.