Quantcast

Another: Fork Selection

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by WKC, Oct 6, 2005.

1. WKC

WKC Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    I gotta get a new fork for my Scratch. I am looking at the '06 Marzocchi DJ2, '05-'06 Manitou Sherman Flick/Jumper, RockShox Pike, and '06 Marzocchi Z.1 Sport. I'm leaning towards the Pike Race, they ride really good and lots of simple adjusments, making it very versatile, but I'm not really familiar with the Pike's reliability or maintainece "schedule". Anyone have any experience with the Pike?

#1 -   Oct 6, 2005

Please register to disable this ad.

2. stubby

stubby Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    buy my sherman

#2 -   Oct 6, 2005
  3. formermtboarder

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    get a manitou gold, there pretty cheep and supposed to be comprable to the sherman series

travis lowers and flow internals is what i hear

#3 -   Oct 6, 2005
  4. formermtboarder

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    o whoops there not on the site so check it out
    www.unrealcycles.com

the owner will talk to u on aim, phone etc and give honest advise, really cool guy

#4 -   Oct 6, 2005
  5. motomike

motomike Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    I would recommend the fork with the shortest travel available, probably the Sherman Jumper. I don't know how long you are gonna run the 24/26 combo, but it would help "level out" the bike due to the lower rear with the 24. Plus, you mainly do herban, so you really don't need much travel. I think you are over with doing drops to flat, as I am, so travel and plushness isn't too important. I would look for something short and stiff, IMO.

#5 -   Oct 6, 2005
  6. WKC

WKC Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    I am leaning for the Pike, especially if I ever ride some "trails", and somehat for the Flick, if Jenson still has it for the price they do in the next few weeks. The Jumper is nice and all, but it's really expensive and lacks features and adjustments.

#6 -   Oct 7, 2005
  7. motomike

motomike Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    features are highly overrated. :oink:

#7 -   Oct 7, 2005
  8. Kntr

Kntr Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 20
    get a Zoke or you will be sorry

#8 -   Oct 7, 2005
  9. motomike

motomike Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    he has a Zoke DJ, but it weighs 14.6 pounds.

#9 -   Oct 7, 2005
  10. WKC

WKC Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Hahaha. It sure feels like it, but it's still a porky 7.3 pounds for a 4" travel SC fork! I'm going for the Pike as of now, your Reba rode really good and I'm sure the Pike it quite similar. Does your Reba have the External Floodgate adjustment? If so, is it useful at all? If I decide to do something else, I'll probably go with one of the new Dirt Jumper 2's. They are a good pound and a half lighter than the one I have, and have external preload, rebound and compression adjusments.

11. motomike

motomike Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Yes it has the floodgate and compression lockout, but I have no use for either of the two...

12. stubby

stubby Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    good lord, my forty weighs less than ur dirtjumper, a half pound less, 6.7 lbs,
    yeah sherman jumpers are good, the golds look pretty sweet as well though, but i have no experience with them, just sherman.

13. WKC

WKC Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Yeah, 40's are pretty light. The Sherman on my Gemini weigh's in at 5.4 pounds, oh yeah!

14. seismic

seismic Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I know it was not a choice, but what about the Fox 36 ??

15. WKC

WKC Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Dude, you read my mind. That would be the DREAM fork to run on my bike, but it's A LOT of cash for a bike that is going to get the piss beaten out of it. Simply, it's just A LOT of cash. I think the brand new Pike's sell for about $375-$425, versus about $800 for the 36.

16. seismic

seismic Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0

I know, it is a lot of money :dead:

17. WKC

WKC Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Yeah, just a little. I wouls consider dropping that cash if i only had one bike to take care of one bike, but I've got the Scratch and the Gemini that I have to keep working, and a limited flow of income.

18. WKC

WKC Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Oooohhhhh, now I see what you are talking about. I might have to look into that............

19. WKC

WKC Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Anyone know anything about the new Manitou Gold Series forks? How are they compared to the new Dirt Jumpers?

20. OGRipper

OGRipper Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 106
    I had nothing but unsatisfctory experience with manitou '04 minute and '05 sherman flirefly, they both leaked oil on the rebound side (BOTH came with a crushed o-ring), the rebound damper on the firefly BROKE inside the fork, and the travel feels like poo with the spv. I've already sold the minute and am shopping for a replacement for the Sherman. Also, a friend who has a sherman jumper is getting lots of creaks from the crown area, which is pretty scary. I don't mean to be so harsh on manitou, they have always been pretty good about warranty and other CS, but still, it comes down to the ride and they leave me wanting something else. The newer forks are supposed to be better, just wanted you to know my experience. If you insist on thru-axle look at the pike or zoke, but if you could live with QR, check out a Fox float or vanilla, lots of people love 'em for DJ and "herban" (which, by the way, is pretty damn funny). :thumb:

21. WKC

WKC Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Really...??? I have had nothing but a FANTASTIC experience with Manitou. I have an '04 Sherman Breakout Plus and it kicks ass, as well as an '04 Swinger 4-Way rear shock. I like the stiffness of thru-axle, and the durability of them for urban riding, but having a QR fork isn't a big deal. The problem is that I beat the **** out of my forks, and a Float or a Vanilla isn;t going to cut it. If I was going to buy a Fox, it would be a 36 Van or Talas, but they are WAY too much money. The new Zoke DJ's are lighter this year and the time that I have spent on Sherman's has been nothing but excellent. I do say though, that Manitou's do seem to be hit or miss forks, and Marzocchi is the only manufacturer that people don't seem to have problems with.

22. formermtboarder

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    i couldnt disagree more, ive completely abused my '03 firefly iI GOT USED and ridden it on the 110mm climbing setting more than any other and its fine, no creaking etc.

my super cheap 150mm flick plus has also stood up to my abuse on my ht at downhill and FR, i admit the 110mm setting is destroyed, but thats the only problem. I used it for dirt jumping on the 110 which kinda ripped out the lock out thingy. But the 150mm setting is just as good as normal, no troubles there.

the only zoke fork ive had is the exr comp-needless to say a piece or crap, but it was sturdy and hel;d up till i could afford a new one.

my advice is to talk to the unrealcycles.com guy, if u have aim IM him and ask questions, hes really useful and honest, if u dont call him up. its all on his website (aim is unrealcycles) under contacts

23. motomike

motomike Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Like they said, it's hit and miss. I had a minute that I couldn't stand because of the crappy noises it made. so did a co-worker of mine...

*you should come out here sometime soon, it's lookin sweet!

24. gastro

gastro Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 2
    Boy, that sounds like serious hardship - two nice bikes to maintain.

I feel your pain. :p

25. WKC

WKC Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Hahaha. The Scratch is no big deal because there's nothing to break. The Gemini always needs something because of me bailing on it or not being as careful as I should be while riding stuff, like slamming derailleurs on skinny stuff downtown. And because I don't really have a job, so I've gotta beg the parents for parts.

26. WKC

WKC Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    ..........That is, until I acquire a job.

27. wydopen

wydopen Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    10 / 60
    i like my nixon converted to spring...still less than 5lbs..

28. Grizzle

Grizzle Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    i would be wary of running a shock like the pike, rockshox forks are hell to rebuild. That is the only fork next to a cannondale lefty that you actually have to send back to the manufacturer to rebuild. I have rebuild rockshox, marzocchis, fox's, manitous, and others, and the rockshox was defintaly the worst as far as a maintainance standpoint. I would get either the marzocchis or the manitous, they are simple, and reliable.

29. WKC

WKC Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    I really like the feel of the Sherman's and would love to have a Jumper, but they are expensive. Then again, so are the new Marzocchi DJ's. I'm really leaning towards one tof the new Manitou Gold Labels, because I believe that they have the Travis lowers and Stance or Sherman internals.

30. formermtboarder

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    get a gold chase, cause i wanna ride one

31. WKC

WKC Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    I will Buck, I will for you...........

.....but not in a gay way.

32. formermtboarder

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    r u really gonna get one?
    u should, im gonna drop my firefly to 100mm for my roscoe (2 more weeks or so!!!)

what size fork u gonna run on the scratch? 100mm? 80 mm?

33. WKC

WKC Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Probably, within the next month. 80mm would be cool, but I don't know if that will effect the DJ capabilities negatively. The 100mm would definitely be more versatile, I think. I'll either run dual 26" wheels or dual 24" wheels, mainly the 24's for urban and 26" for DJ's. I think a 24" in the back and 26" in the front would slacken the head angle a bit too much.

34. motomike

motomike Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    ...and just when I thought this thread had died...

35. face

face Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    if you want adjustability stay away from the gold. it is a oil and coil shock no air adjustment. good fork other than that though

36. formermtboarder

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    roll dual twenty-foahs w/ me!

37. fattyfat1

fattyfat1 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    i got a drop off triple ill sell ya . tough as hell, plus, wasn't it like just three years ago it was cool to run a triple clamp fork on a hardtail?big fork w/24" wheels and three inch tires.... urban huck machine!hhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaa!

38. WKC

WKC Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    ....Sorry Mike.....

39. WKC

WKC Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Rebound is all you need really. If you get a fork with lots of adjustments, it's just more internals to f*ck up. You can always adjust spring rates and oil heights to change the feel.

40. motomike

motomike Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0

:think: :think: ;)