Quantcast

Another: Fork Selection

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
I gotta get a new fork for my Scratch. I am looking at the '06 Marzocchi DJ2, '05-'06 Manitou Sherman Flick/Jumper, RockShox Pike, and '06 Marzocchi Z.1 Sport. I'm leaning towards the Pike Race, they ride really good and lots of simple adjusments, making it very versatile, but I'm not really familiar with the Pike's reliability or maintainece "schedule". Anyone have any experience with the Pike?

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
WKC said:
I gotta get a new fork for my Scratch. I am looking at the '06 Marzocchi DJ2, '05-'06 Manitou Sherman Flick/Jumper, RockShox Pike, and '06 Marzocchi Z.1 Sport. I'm leaning towards the Pike Race, they ride really good and lots of simple adjusments, making it very versatile, but I'm not really familiar with the Pike's reliability or maintainece "schedule". Anyone have any experience with the Pike?
I would recommend the fork with the shortest travel available, probably the Sherman Jumper. I don't know how long you are gonna run the 24/26 combo, but it would help "level out" the bike due to the lower rear with the 24. Plus, you mainly do herban, so you really don't need much travel. I think you are over with doing drops to flat, as I am, so travel and plushness isn't too important. I would look for something short and stiff, IMO.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
I am leaning for the Pike, especially if I ever ride some "trails", and somehat for the Flick, if Jenson still has it for the price they do in the next few weeks. The Jumper is nice and all, but it's really expensive and lacks features and adjustments.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
WKC said:
I am leaning for the Pike, especially if I ever ride some "trails", and somehat for the Flick, if Jenson still has it for the price they do in the next few weeks. The Jumper is nice and all, but it's really expensive and lacks features and adjustments.
features are highly overrated. :oink:

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
motomike said:
he has a Zoke DJ, but it weighs 14.6 pounds.
Hahaha. It sure feels like it, but it's still a porky 7.3 pounds for a 4" travel SC fork! I'm going for the Pike as of now, your Reba rode really good and I'm sure the Pike it quite similar. Does your Reba have the External Floodgate adjustment? If so, is it useful at all? If I decide to do something else, I'll probably go with one of the new Dirt Jumper 2's. They are a good pound and a half lighter than the one I have, and have external preload, rebound and compression adjusments.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
WKC said:
Hahaha. It sure feels like it, but it's still a porky 7.3 pounds for a 4" travel SC fork! I'm going for the Pike as of now, your Reba rode really good and I'm sure the Pike it quite similar. Does your Reba have the External Floodgate adjustment? If so, is it useful at all? If I decide to do something else, I'll probably go with one of the new Dirt Jumper 2's. They are a good pound and a half lighter than the one I have, and have external preload, rebound and compression adjusments.
Yes it has the floodgate and compression lockout, but I have no use for either of the two...

stubby

Turbo Monkey
Mar 5, 2005
Davidson, NC AKA DURTY THIRTY
good lord, my forty weighs less than ur dirtjumper, a half pound less, 6.7 lbs,
yeah sherman jumpers are good, the golds look pretty sweet as well though, but i have no experience with them, just sherman.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
stubby said:
good lord, my forty weighs less than ur dirtjumper, a half pound less, 6.7 lbs,
yeah sherman jumpers are good, the golds look pretty sweet as well though, but i have no experience with them, just sherman.
Yeah, 40's are pretty light. The Sherman on my Gemini weigh's in at 5.4 pounds, oh yeah!

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
seismic said:
I know it was not a choice, but what about the Fox 36 ??
Dude, you read my mind. That would be the DREAM fork to run on my bike, but it's A LOT of cash for a bike that is going to get the piss beaten out of it. Simply, it's just A LOT of cash. I think the brand new Pike's sell for about $375-$425, versus about $800 for the 36.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
WKC said:
Dude, you read my mind. That would be the DREAM fork to run on my bike, but it's A LOT of cash for a bike that is going to get the piss beaten out of it. Simply, it's just A LOT of cash. I think the brand new Pike's sell for about $375-$425, versus about $800 for the 36.

I know, it is a lot of money :dead:

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
Yeah, just a little. I wouls consider dropping that cash if i only had one bike to take care of one bike, but I've got the Scratch and the Gemini that I have to keep working, and a limited flow of income.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
formermtboarder said:
get a manitou gold, there pretty cheep and supposed to be comprable to the sherman series

travis lowers and flow internals is what i hear
Oooohhhhh, now I see what you are talking about. I might have to look into that............

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I had nothing but unsatisfctory experience with manitou '04 minute and '05 sherman flirefly, they both leaked oil on the rebound side (BOTH came with a crushed o-ring), the rebound damper on the firefly BROKE inside the fork, and the travel feels like poo with the spv. I've already sold the minute and am shopping for a replacement for the Sherman. Also, a friend who has a sherman jumper is getting lots of creaks from the crown area, which is pretty scary. I don't mean to be so harsh on manitou, they have always been pretty good about warranty and other CS, but still, it comes down to the ride and they leave me wanting something else. The newer forks are supposed to be better, just wanted you to know my experience. If you insist on thru-axle look at the pike or zoke, but if you could live with QR, check out a Fox float or vanilla, lots of people love 'em for DJ and "herban" (which, by the way, is pretty damn funny). :thumb:

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
Really...??? I have had nothing but a FANTASTIC experience with Manitou. I have an '04 Sherman Breakout Plus and it kicks ass, as well as an '04 Swinger 4-Way rear shock. I like the stiffness of thru-axle, and the durability of them for urban riding, but having a QR fork isn't a big deal. The problem is that I beat the **** out of my forks, and a Float or a Vanilla isn;t going to cut it. If I was going to buy a Fox, it would be a 36 Van or Talas, but they are WAY too much money. The new Zoke DJ's are lighter this year and the time that I have spent on Sherman's has been nothing but excellent. I do say though, that Manitou's do seem to be hit or miss forks, and Marzocchi is the only manufacturer that people don't seem to have problems with.

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
OGRipper said:
I had nothing but unsatisfctory experience with manitou '04 minute and '05 sherman flirefly, they both leaked oil on the rebound side (BOTH came with a crushed o-ring), the rebound damper on the firefly BROKE inside the fork, and the travel feels like poo with the spv. I've already sold the minute and am shopping for a replacement for the Sherman. Also, a friend who has a sherman jumper is getting lots of creaks from the crown area, which is pretty scary. I don't mean to be so harsh on manitou, they have always been pretty good about warranty and other CS, but still, it comes down to the ride and they leave me wanting something else. The newer forks are supposed to be better, just wanted you to know my experience. If you insist on thru-axle look at the pike or zoke, but if you could live with QR, check out a Fox float or vanilla, lots of people love 'em for DJ and "herban" (which, by the way, is pretty damn funny). :thumb:
i couldnt disagree more, ive completely abused my '03 firefly iI GOT USED and ridden it on the 110mm climbing setting more than any other and its fine, no creaking etc.

my super cheap 150mm flick plus has also stood up to my abuse on my ht at downhill and FR, i admit the 110mm setting is destroyed, but thats the only problem. I used it for dirt jumping on the 110 which kinda ripped out the lock out thingy. But the 150mm setting is just as good as normal, no troubles there.

the only zoke fork ive had is the exr comp-needless to say a piece or crap, but it was sturdy and hel;d up till i could afford a new one.

my advice is to talk to the unrealcycles.com guy, if u have aim IM him and ask questions, hes really useful and honest, if u dont call him up. its all on his website (aim is unrealcycles) under contacts

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
formermtboarder said:
i couldnt disagree more, ive completely abused my '03 firefly iI GOT USED and ridden it on the 110mm climbing setting more than any other and its fine, no creaking etc.

my super cheap 150mm flick plus has also stood up to my abuse on my ht at downhill and FR, i admit the 110mm setting is destroyed, but thats the only problem. I used it for dirt jumping on the 110 which kinda ripped out the lock out thingy. But the 150mm setting is just as good as normal, no troubles there.

the only zoke fork ive had is the exr comp-needless to say a piece or crap, but it was sturdy and hel;d up till i could afford a new one.

my advice is to talk to the unrealcycles.com guy, if u have aim IM him and ask questions, hes really useful and honest, if u dont call him up. its all on his website (aim is unrealcycles) under contacts
Like they said, it's hit and miss. I had a minute that I couldn't stand because of the crappy noises it made. so did a co-worker of mine...

*you should come out here sometime soon, it's lookin sweet!

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
gastro said:
Boy, that sounds like serious hardship - two nice bikes to maintain.

I feel your pain. :p
Hahaha. The Scratch is no big deal because there's nothing to break. The Gemini always needs something because of me bailing on it or not being as careful as I should be while riding stuff, like slamming derailleurs on skinny stuff downtown. And because I don't really have a job, so I've gotta beg the parents for parts.

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
i would be wary of running a shock like the pike, rockshox forks are hell to rebuild. That is the only fork next to a cannondale lefty that you actually have to send back to the manufacturer to rebuild. I have rebuild rockshox, marzocchis, fox's, manitous, and others, and the rockshox was defintaly the worst as far as a maintainance standpoint. I would get either the marzocchis or the manitous, they are simple, and reliable.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
Grizzle said:
i would be wary of running a shock like the pike, rockshox forks are hell to rebuild. That is the only fork next to a cannondale lefty that you actually have to send back to the manufacturer to rebuild. I have rebuild rockshox, marzocchis, fox's, manitous, and others, and the rockshox was defintaly the worst as far as a maintainance standpoint. I would get either the marzocchis or the manitous, they are simple, and reliable.
I really like the feel of the Sherman's and would love to have a Jumper, but they are expensive. Then again, so are the new Marzocchi DJ's. I'm really leaning towards one tof the new Manitou Gold Labels, because I believe that they have the Travis lowers and Stance or Sherman internals.

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
r u really gonna get one?
u should, im gonna drop my firefly to 100mm for my roscoe (2 more weeks or so!!!)

what size fork u gonna run on the scratch? 100mm? 80 mm?

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
formermtboarder said:
r u really gonna get one?
u should, im gonna drop my firefly to 100mm for my roscoe (2 more weeks or so!!!)

what size fork u gonna run on the scratch? 100mm? 80 mm?
Probably, within the next month. 80mm would be cool, but I don't know if that will effect the DJ capabilities negatively. The 100mm would definitely be more versatile, I think. I'll either run dual 26" wheels or dual 24" wheels, mainly the 24's for urban and 26" for DJ's. I think a 24" in the back and 26" in the front would slacken the head angle a bit too much.

face

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
northern utah
formermtboarder said:
get a manitou gold, there pretty cheep and supposed to be comprable to the sherman series

travis lowers and flow internals is what i hear
if you want adjustability stay away from the gold. it is a oil and coil shock no air adjustment. good fork other than that though

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
i got a drop off triple ill sell ya . tough as hell, plus, wasn't it like just three years ago it was cool to run a triple clamp fork on a hardtail?big fork w/24" wheels and three inch tires.... urban huck machine!hhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaa!

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
face said:
if you want adjustability stay away from the gold. it is a oil and coil shock no air adjustment. good fork other than that though
Rebound is all you need really. If you get a fork with lots of adjustments, it's just more internals to f*ck up. You can always adjust spring rates and oil heights to change the feel.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
WKC said:
WKC said:
Rebound is all you need really. If you get a fork with lots of adjustments, it's just more internals to f*ck up. You can always adjust spring rates and oil heights to change the feel.

:think: :think: ;)