Quantcast

Another fox 40/boxxer question

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
I have a set of 06 Fox 40's on my V10 and was thinking about switching to Boxxer Teams or World cups. ANybody ride both lately? What do you guy's prefer?

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
I have a set of 06 Fox 40's on my V10 and was thinking about switching to Boxxer Teams or World cups. ANybody ride both lately? What do you guy's prefer?
The new Boxxers look like they will turn out to be a good fork but I would be holding out for a while until people sort out the teething problems.
I have riden on the old Boxxers and they are good but my 40's are better. I suspect that is why RS have upgraded the Boxxer.
If you are not in a hurry then see how the new Boxxer turns out or get your 40 pushed.

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
I recently went from a 06 fox 40 to a 09 boxxer wc. the boxxer handles small bumps much better, and you can dial the spring rate in perfectly with the air spring. You really notice the difference over brake bumps, the boxxer seems to have better grip. Other than that though, I haven't ridden the 09 fox which is supposed to be better for small bump sensitivity. The new boxxers, once everything is sorted, do seem to be a better value than the 40.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
A guy on my team always loved 40s. Has been riding a 2010 boxxer this year. Blew it out a week ago. SRAM offered him a 2009 right away, he decided to wait and run a junk 2007. He has said he'd still rather run a 40 from 3 years ago.

And this dude is picky about his brake levers. He wants a 2010 Boxxer or ANY 40. Take that as you will.

He's riding my Commencal with a 40 right now, when his 2010 Boxxer comes in it will spend some time on my bike and I'll have a better opinion.

SeatPost

Chimp
May 17, 2009
Philly, sort of
Any one see that chick at the world cup event a couple ago blow up her boxxer. Generally I have found much better adjustibility with the RockShox forks. However I like the Fox stuff for the lack of hassle factor. All of the Fox forks I have had just work and require less shop time.

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
I was on the Push website and nothing is listed for the 40.

I was thinking Boxxer team or World cup. Is the only difference the air spring?
I was thinking about this because my 40 is very harsh on the small stuff and I've been all over the map with different settings.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Any one see that chick at the world cup event a couple ago blow up her boxxer. Generally I have found much better adjustibility with the RockShox forks. However I like the Fox stuff for the lack of hassle factor. All of the Fox forks I have had just work and require less shop time.

you mean the chick who snapped the lowers at the arch while crasheing over the bars and stuffing her bike into a hole front end first with the fork locked up against the frame? the same crash that also resulted in breaking the frame in half in two spots?

great post...

fyi... this is nothing new, and happens to lots of fox forks and boxxers when crashed in that matter

Last edited:

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
^ tried giving it a good service yet? make sure the lowers aren't twisted ect?
Yup, just serviced and fresh. New oil, grease, cartridge oil and seals. They fell better than they did just harsh on the small stuff. Anyone want to trade a boxxer for these? :banana:

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
shift - weird. normally 40s are one of the plushes forks out there. how old is your fork? coz they tend to get a bit **** just before the bushings die. i had to change my lowers once. otherwise, my 05 40s are still going strong.

replying to this thread earlier reminded me that my 40s were a bit sticky too, so just popped the lowers off just now and gave them a bit of tlc. didn't even change the oil and they are mint again. :)

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
you mean the chick who snapped the lowers at the arch while crasheing over the bars and stuffing her bike into a hole front end first with the fork locked up against the frame? the same crash that also resulted in breaking the frame in half in two spots?

great post...

fyi... this is nothing new, and happens to lots of fox forks and boxxers when crashed in that matter
her frame snapped in three pieces too.....that must mean Session 88's all break

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
her frame snapped in three pieces too.....that must mean Session 88's all break
why you guys all looking at the negatives?

she didn't break, that means she is stronger then a boxxer AND a session 88 put together. that makes her roughly 149.6% better then a stock dhx. but not as good as an avy.

also, she is tougher then rennie who didn't get away unhurt when he crashed in that section. [but of course that wouldn't have happened if he was running toe cleats]

:bonk:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
why you guys all looking at the negatives?

she didn't break, that means she is stronger then a boxxer AND a session 88 put together. that makes her roughly 149.6% better then a stock dhx. but not as good as an avy.

also, she is tougher then rennie who didn't get away unhurt when he crashed in that section. [but of course that wouldn't have happened if he was running toe cleats]

:bonk:
its official: downhill chicks are stronger than a Boxxer and Session 88 combined.

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
shift - weird. normally 40s are one of the plushes forks out there. how old is your fork? coz they tend to get a bit **** just before the bushings die. i had to change my lowers once. otherwise, my 05 40s are still going strong.

replying to this thread earlier reminded me that my 40s were a bit sticky too, so just popped the lowers off just now and gave them a bit of tlc. didn't even change the oil and they are mint again. :)
Hmmm, interesting. They are 06's. The bushings seemed fine and I lubed them up with some grease. The stanchions also have no rocking back and forth indicating the bushings may be worn. Did you buy new lowers or have new bushings installed?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i sent them in to get the bushings changed, but they found a crack starting on my arch. so the lowers got replaced. if you have a fox service centre close by, i would recommend sending them in, they always come back better.

there wasn't a huge amount of play on mine, but it was very very sticky towards the end, would go in 2-3 inches and wont extend.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
i dont know how to take that
I don't know how you should either.

What I meant is he's super picky about everything he rides so he notices the difference between the two forks. Up to this point he only liked riding 40s. But he likes the 2010 Boxxer, just not quite as much as a 40.

goodgrief

Monkey
Aug 13, 2008
Innerleithen, Scotland
any scuffs on the outside of the damper cart? mine had a small dent in the lower causing the cart to rub and the fork to feel pretty terrible. new lowers on 06 legs plus a cart service by mojo and it feels spot on.