Quantcast

****. Another friend just died in an avalanche

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
In France. I actually was reading a thread on TGR about it, but had no way of knowing who it was until I got a call from his brother.
This is getting harder to deal with...I have lost five friends now to Ullr the cruel.
I think I might have to go hike a run on the Pass right now to sort things out.
Kai KNEW what was up, as did most of my lost friends.
Doing what he loved, and all that.....

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
That really sucks.

Still, if you have to die, as you said being in the mountains doing something you love is probably one of the best ways. I'd rather die like that than from cancer or something, or just rotting away at the end of your life.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Changleen said:
That really sucks.

Still, if you have to die, as you said being in the mountains doing something you love is probably one of the best ways. I'd rather die like that than from cancer or something, or just rotting away at the end of your life.

agreed. positive thoughts your way man. that snow is some crazy ****.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
In bounds or BC? Either way it's definitely a risk every time you go out. I just read about a instructor who died in bounds at Shasta yesterday, he got stuck in a tree well.

Sorry to hear about that.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My condolences brother. Any lose is rough but 2 back to back. Thats really rough. My prayers and thoughts are with you tonight......

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
rideit said:
RIP, Kai.
First Laurel, and now you.
My heart is heavy.

I received this email form one of my friends:

This is crappy news. A guy I work with and played basketball with was killed in the French Alps in an avalanche yesterday while back country boarding. He was 28. He was with his girlfriend and planned to propose – he had the ring with him in his jacket. How terrible is that… she was on vaca with him, don’t know the details of what she saw. Apparently he got caught in the avalanche which landed in a lake, he was pushed through 8 inches of ice and needed to be pulled out of the lake.

I hear these stories but they are normally news flashes and not so close…

Pretty gloomy here today…

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
rideit said:
5 people died yesterday in Europe in seperate incidents. This was a different one...a lot of pain going around.

Sorry to hear about your loss. That is sad to die doing what you love.

I did not hear about the circumstances but right now is NOT the right time to take any chances in the alps.
Was he out with locals or just other travellers?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
My deepest condolences on your loss. May your friend never be forgotten, and may his life be celebrated.