Quantcast

Another irritating which bike thread: Large Cove Shocker vs. Large Intense M6

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Decided to sell my M3, and not by choice since I did like the rear suspension on it, but it was just too short. It was a medium and I'm 6' - 6'1 depending on who's measuring and I've not been able to find a Large M3 in acceptable condition.

I am not getting this bike to race. It's pretty much for riding steep loose and embedded rocks, jumps, drops, rollers, deep loose corners, and drifty stuff. Then some more rocks. And rocks on top of rocks. Did I mention rocks?

I want something long and slack and stable through corners and chop. Before the M3 I had a Large '08 DHR, which I did not get along with for my riding, though the geo was pretty dialed (I REALLY liked the 63.5* HA on it). The M3 could afford to be a bit slacker in front, and longer first and foremost. Longer CS probably wouldn't hurt either but anytime I found that to be an issue it was most likely more an effect of the wheelbase.

My potential problems with the M6 are the low BB and the FRO thing. The lower bar height and slacker HA are a plus. The longer shock/lower leverage thing I'm not 100% sold on, and it would require a new shock. Not sure if they revised the VPP to be better or worse on the rough stuff with the M6 or what, though I hear it did change somehow. Don't want to end up breaking the frame either which has me looking at the Cove. I've heard from numerous reputable sources that the M3's were basically the toughest DH frame that Intense ever made, the M6 would be a step down from that in the toughness department.

The Shocker I can't even find all the geo #'s for (laid out below). It's heavier, not that I care, but I'd like to know if the weight is at least balanced nicely front to rear and isn't really top-heavy. Most important things I'd like to know are real life head angle with an '07 888 and the wheelbase of a large. What were the geo changes through the different years of release? Seem to remember the earlier ones were a bit steeper in the head angle. I've read that it compares to the DHR in terms of rear end behavior, which I probably wouldn't like a whole lot. Can these be set up to be stable on the chop and be bottomless and predictable like the M3??

It's kind of a long shot, but does anyone have ride time of each to compare how each carries speed through rocks and messy corners? High speed stuff? Super super steeps?

M6 geo, size L

TT 24"
HT 5.25"
WB 46.5"
HA 64.5*
CS 17.25"
BB 14.125"

Shocker geo, size L

TT 23.75"
HT ???"
WB ???"
HA 65.5* (1 degree steeper than the medium and small per Cove's website? WTF?)
CS 17.4" (I've read reviews that measured it out as much as 17.75", so who knows on this one too)
BB 14.5" (Again, seeing numbers all over the place)

Any comments, suggestions, insults, threats, belligerent ranting, etc. are welcome.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
That helps a bit, thanks.

Oh one other thing, anyone have a rough idea how much derailleur hangers are for the Shocker? BIG thing that irks me about the Intense are the $150/side dropouts if you happen to roach a derailleur hanger, which I seem to be talented at.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
That helps a bit, thanks.

Oh one other thing, anyone have a rough idea how much derailleur hangers are for the Shocker? BIG thing that irks me about the Intense are the $150/side dropouts if you happen to roach a derailleur hanger, which I seem to be talented at.
The drive side dropout is $70ish retail

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Shocker geo, size L

TT 23.75"
HT 5"
WB 47"
HA 65*
CS 17.6"
BB 14.7"

Those are the numbers I found(on Cove's Japan site).. I measured my large w/a Boxxer WC as low as it could go(w/FSA Pig Headset) with the level app on my iphone and it came out to 65.5* on the dot.

I haven't got a whole lot of seat time on the bike, for the short amount of time I got I can comment, it does feel lighter than it actually weighs. Coming from a 38lb Mini-DH to a 43lb Shocker, it wasn't nearly as big a difference as I thought it would be. The spring I had on the bike was way to soft for me, so I don't wanna give a full ride-report until that sorted. But initial thoughts are it feels good, feels lighter than i expected, def. "poppier" over jumps and stuff than I expected, even with the soft spring. I rode it this weekend on some lower-speed trails with a proper spring and I surprised I could actually bunny hop it fairly easily, I really wanna get it back on some higher-speed stuff this weekend and get a better feel for what it can do.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I'm interested to see how the shocker does on jumps and super fast choppy stuff. The big thing I didn't like about the DHR was how it wanted to jump off everything, even stuff I didn't want it to. If I wanted it to stay on the ground, it would hang up over the smallest stuff.

Any comments on the two different shock mounting slots on the Shocker? Seems like all the pictures I've seen have had the shock in the upper most slot.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
First off, I wouldnt be to worried about the m6 being a FRO frame. Even though its "for racing only", they come with a two year guarantee, against the one year of most manufactures. Have you looked into getting the new 951? Now that bike looks dialed... shorter and more accesable shock, abit higher on the BB, light and ajustable geometry.

From what Ive read about the shocker, it compares to a DHR in that it can hold its turns real well, even with the hi bb. Ive also learnt that its a real fun and flickable bike, but its nice and stable in the rough and "doesnt want to jump over everyother thing" although, as always you can set it up to be that way.

Las but not least, have you looked into a demo? Every one knows a demo can take many hard hits, more than most bikes, it has a nice short chainstay for the tight stuff, long top tub for comfort and space to move around, and a long wheelbase to keep things smooth in the rough. The geometry is also spot on.

Just my 2 cents

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Any comments on the two different shock mounting slots on the Shocker? Seems like all the pictures I've seen have had the shock in the upper most slot.

Top Mount is supposed to be more progressive.. that being said ever since I started doing research before buying the bike all reviews/reviewers say that they couldn't notice a difference between the two mounting locations..

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
With the weight on the 951 being so low I wouldn't trust it too much. M6 on the other hand should hold most abuse even though the downtube catches dets from rocks quite fast.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Yeah I'm more worried about loose rocks peppering the frame. The 951 seems to be a straight up race bike, which I don't really need. The higher BB and more accessible shorter shock is indeed cool though. Intense really needs to come out with that Evo frame already....

Honestly if the Demo didn't have the retarded short chainstays I'd be on one of those in a heartbeat. From what I can tell it's the slackest production DH bike made. I just personally really like the longer stays for the sketchy stuff and in corners. Super short stays make it harder to get weight off the back end and whip it around....yeah, I know Sam Hill rides one blah blah blah.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Slackest?Naah. Demo is like 64deg? Evil I think had 64 or even slacker setting. Commencal supreme dh and orange 224 evo both have 63deg settings, nicolai ion st can be set to 63.5. Many bikes have 64deg HA now. And if you're not in a hurry why not get a banshee legend? ;)

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
As far at the two mounting spots, its for a more progressive feel. I don't know why you'd ever want that bike more progressive though! It has two distinctive feels: ultra plush and then it ramps up.. hard. Its not a bad thing, but you notice it.

You also notice the chain growth at the beginning of travel. A distinct 'tug' on the chain feel, but it doesn't seem to hurt the pedalling or bump absorbtion.

If you ever come up to sb you can take mine for a spin. Its a medium though, it'll feel cramped for you.

EDIT: I've gotten to test my buddies M6 out at Fontoilet.... I loved it and would get one over the Shocker. It corners too good, the M6 is just planted.

Last edited:

wanabe

Monkey
Mar 16, 2007
I have an 09 Shocker and don't want anything else. It is the first bike I have jumped on and was alomst 100% on my first couple runs. It is stupid stable at everything, but if you need to move the bike around it is prety lively. At the same time it will plow if you want to. It does not ride as heavy as it should. It is a 12 lb frame w/shock. Because of this I dont think this frame will dent as easily as some others on the market now. I am willing to bet that either the M6 or Shocker will be a great purchace. At that level you just cant go wrong, but the Shocker is a solid, dialed, performer.