Quantcast

Another item added to my cooking menu....

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Well, let's see. So far, I've been cooking up (and no, not all at the same time)--

Pizza dough (don't laugh, it took a while to find a recipe I liked and can toss in our kitchen),
Bagels (gotta start adding the extra toppings instead of just onion, sesame seeds, or garlic),
Pesto sauce (damn pinenuts are so expensive),
Pizza sauce (goes great with bacon),
Creme brulee's (wife loves them, so I make 'em),
Sourdough bread (still have the starter from last year),
Moon pies w/ 7min frosting (oh, the sugar rush one gets after these),
Crack Pie (found this on the web, at least it has oats for fiber, haha),

And now, for the next item in the oven as I type...........................

Amish Friendship Bread (uses a boatload of sugar, so I wonder if it'll compare to the moon pies or crack pie).

I'll let you know how it turns out, and no, I'm not being the chef at the next RM festival............................

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
If you're doing pizza and bagels you BETTER HAVE A FVCKING PIZZA stone!!!

:D

What is your dough recipe, technique and why is this not in the food section?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
i just need to go pick up some yeast and i'll be making some bagels too.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
I made my dear 81 year old Mom Eggs Benedict for breakfast saturday morning!

Then made her Wakami Tuna for dinner Saturday night with wasabi and hoison dipping sauces! She loved it!!! :drool:

I'm quite the shef. I do my own sushi too.

Last edited:

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Although I did have a bad experience once trying to make my own chicken nuggets. :hmm:

I think the chicken was trying to tell me something.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I made home made chicken noodle soup with my own GF noodles on Saturday. Wicked easy GF noodle recipe I found and I can use my bread maker to do the bulk of the work.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I made home made chicken noodle soup with my own GF noodles on Saturday. Wicked easy GF noodle recipe I found and I can use my bread maker to do the bulk of the work.
You made noodles out of your GirlFriend?

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Well, let's see. So far, I've been cooking up (and no, not all at the same time)--

Pesto sauce (damn pinenuts are so expensive),
Btw, you should try a batch of pesto some time that uses walnuts instead of pine nuts. Or even Almonds or cashews... Cashews might be the closest to pine nuts in taste. I find that it really doesnt matter much though bc the garlic and basil (and cheese for that matter) always over power the nuts.

Agree though, Pine nuts are figgin WAY over priced. Or maybe not over priced since I don't know what goes into growing and harvesting them (almost all are from China from what I understand). I should just say that IMO pine nuts are not WORTH the $$ you have to spend on them. Even if you get them from Cost-co in a huge bag.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Sorry - I disagree on the pine nuts. Toasted they are a fantastic, unique flavor almost nothing like other nuts. They are worth it in the big bag from Costco.

I *do* like sundried tomato pesto made with walnuts. That stuff rocks.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Btw, you should try a batch of pesto some time that uses walnuts instead of pine nuts. Or even Almonds or cashews... Cashews might be the closest to pine nuts in taste. I find that it really doesnt matter much though bc the garlic and basil (and cheese for that matter) always over power the nuts.

Agree though, Pine nuts are figgin WAY over priced. Or maybe not over priced since I don't know what goes into growing and harvesting them (almost all are from China from what I understand). I should just say that IMO pine nuts are not WORTH the $$ you have to spend on them. Even if you get them from Cost-co in a huge bag.
I just got back from Italy and in particular the part of Italy where Pesto originated from Linguria so I got to try some really good stuff. The served it at one location where they boiled the pasta with 1" cubes of potato and cut green beans and served it all together. It was delicious and hearty. It was often served with Trofie pasta which was amazing. I'm waiting to have a few hours of free time to recreate the meal.

Oh and they were serious about using Pine Nuts and nothing but the best. They are $35/lb for Italian pine nuts here at the local Italian grocer.

http://helenrennie.com/recipes/condiments/pesto.html

Last edited:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Sorry - I disagree on the pine nuts. Toasted they are a fantastic, unique flavor almost nothing like other nuts. They are worth it in the big bag from Costco.

I *do* like sundried tomato pesto made with walnuts. That stuff rocks.
No... if you disagree you are an 1d1iot. ;)

Just kidding, we are all entitled to our own opinion on taste. It is a personal pref.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
And scones. Blueberry and strawberry scones. Ever since that 20-something couple got married in London, and wife wanted scones for breakfast that morn, I've been making them. Even make my own buttermilk for them if I have to....