Quantcast

Another jackass considering grad school.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
At 36, I think I need to get my MBA. Not exactly sure why, but I think I need to.

My employer has a paid tuition program and I have never used it, or one anywhere I have worked. I somehow managed to be working somewhere that didn't offer to pay when I went for my BS, but my GI Bill helped. I figure I've been in the industry for 10 years and if I want to take it further, a grad degree is key.

I'm just not 100% on the course of study. There is the plain jane MBA program, then there is the MBA/IT program that focuses on managing IT resources and schedules. Should I pigeon hole myself in IT, or keep it open?

Discuss.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I am considering grad school this fall also. UG is BSBA Marketing. It would make sense to get an MBA but I'm not sure what I'd do with it. Mine will be covered by the University. Still kinda undecided about what I want to do. Industrial Mgt, Higher Ed/Student Personnel, MBA. Not totally looking forward to it but I need it to "move on up."

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have a BSCS and it is sort of par for the course now. When I got into software 10 years ago, maybe 25% had a degree. I figure if work will pay for it, might as well.

I haven't found out if they will pay for 100% of it, but I think they cover $7k a year, so it would only be $3k out of pocket and the course is 18 months.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think you should know exactly why you need to get your MBA.

Unless you just like school... then by all means, go for it, reason or not! :D
It's not that I like school, but I do enjoy learning. Maybe it's just the idea of having someone other than me pay for it, too.

I got my BS degree because I needed it to get a job post bubble, I would rather have it (and get it paid for) and not need it then scramble like I did last time and have to pay for it.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
It's not that I like school, but I do enjoy learning. Maybe it's just the idea of having someone other than me pay for it, too.
If you don't like school I'd recommend against it. :D

I got my BS degree because I needed it to get a job post bubble, I would rather have it (and get it paid for) and not need it then scramble like I did last time and have to pay for it.
Problem with a Master's is that you'll suddenly be overqualified in a lot of employers' eyes - at least for technical positions.

If you're looking to be a manager or climb the corporate ladder a Master's is probably a good idea.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Go to UMASS and we can join a frat together.
Why do I suddenly have visions of me as Frank the Tank?

I would like to some day step up and make real coin. I've been a "lead" engineer, but I'm not considered management material. My knowledge and experience speak for themselves, but anything more than 10 years in the trenches seems like too long anyway.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Why do I suddenly have visions of me as Frank the Tank?

I would like to some day step up and make real coin. I've been a "lead" engineer, but I'm not considered management material. My knowledge and experience speak for themselves, but anything more than 10 years in the trenches seems like too long anyway.
What do you expect an MBA is going to do for you? Do you hope to be considered management material? Are you looking for more coin in a technical field?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
What do you expect an MBA is going to do for you? Do you hope to be considered management material? Are you looking for more coin in a technical field?
Yes, management material. I've nearly hit the celling on the technical pay scale. The next level is management, like it or not. I would also like to learn the business side of things as well for personal knowledge and broaden my scope. That's why I was looking at the vanilla MBA vs. the Management of Technology Resources or what ever it was called.

Seems they may only pay for tuition only (no books/lab fees) and it's a yearly cap. So I can either milk it yearly, or just do it and pay the difference.

I'm still waiting on info from Oregon State for the distance learning program.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I say become a high priced independent consultant. No ceilings there... :D
I interviewed with a company in Aliso Viejo, CA 3 months ago that wanted to pay me $90k. I was excited until I looked at living spaces.

Studio apartment for $1400 a month.

I offered to work from here for $75 an hour via 1099, they are considering it. I sure miss the $300/hour consultant gigs of the good old days.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i'd go for it. check slashdot: there must be a similar mba advice thread there that would offer perspective on the plain-jane vs. it-specific mba tracks.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Nooooooooo! Grad school sucks! Sucks, sucks, suckity sucks!

Can you tell that I am really enjoying grad school?

That said, I'm off to prep for the lab and discussion that I teach tomorrow.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
decided against uvm?

(i don't completely blame you as it is quite expensive for out-of-staters)
No actually I didnt decide anything yet... still going to visit this may. Usually, in my field, tuition is waived and you're paid a stipend anyway, so if there is any cost at all, I wont consider the school.