Quantcast

Another little ripper in the making

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Took my 8 year old son to Snowshoe last weekend to give him his first taste of downhilling. He had a great time, cant wait to get him back up for a dry weekend.

Sorry I'm to lazy to repost the pics, you can find them here

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Personally for me, it's quite an encouraging to see kids conquering the trails. At his age I was riding grand father's agricultural do-it-all steel bicycle around the village which ended up with broken front fork :rofl: .
Anyways, keep Cole interested :thumb:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
awesome! dang! your boy is HUGE! 8 and big enough for a big bike!!?! what the heck is wrong with my kids?...he just now fits a 20" properly :D

i guess that answers my question on whether or not my boy can handle snowshoe....i think a late season trip up there is in order.

did you ride ninja bob > missing link > power line with him at all?

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
awesome! dang! your boy is HUGE! 8 and big enough for a big bike!!?! what the heck is wrong with my kids?...he just now fits a 20" properly :D

i guess that answers my question on whether or not my boy can handle snowshoe....i think a late season trip up there is in order.

did you ride ninja bob > missing link > power line with him at all?
Yes he is big for 8, the doc says he will end up being at least 6'3" or 6'4" when he is done growing.

We stuck to either the Yew Pine or Raging Bull trails for the day. I will take him to the other side next time.

I have seen pics of your boy jumping, he shouldn't have any problems up there. Just take it easy on him and don't push him, as I'm sure you already know.

Last edited:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Yes he is big for 8, the doc says he will end up being at least 6'3" or 6'4" when he is done growing.

We stuck to either the Yew Pine or Raging Bull trails for the day. I will take him to the other side next time.

I have seen pics of your boy jumping, he shouldn't have any problems up there. Just take it easy on him and don't push him, as I'm sure you already know.
i don't think raging bull was open when i went last october...is that the one with all of the red bull stuff on it? if so, it looks pretty well groomed.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
i don't think raging bull was open when i went last october...is that the one with all of the red bull stuff on it? if so, it looks pretty well groomed.
Yep thats the one. They didnt open it until closing weekend last year. It would be a great trail for your son to hit.

SupaTone

Monkey
Jun 5, 2008
French Alps
Kids rock - and your son is massive! It really is a shame that DHing is not accessible to the masses - once the kids try it they all seem to be hooked so there needs to be a way to get more kids involved in this amazing sport.

My youngest son is 9 and on a bike with 24" wheels - it looks huge on him: check him and my daughter out at http://www.followmydream.org

MasterofGroms

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
NorthEastern US
My kids started pretty early, Logan at 9 and Neko at 13. Of course both of them had raced 7 seasons of BMX prior, which is what I'd recommend you to do if you really want him to learn the skills necessary to actually RIP. (If he's not doing it already, I mean) The first and hardest part is getting him to want to do it. It appears as if you've got that part working in your favor already.
Nice work Dad!:thumb: