Quantcast

another must have kitchen gadget

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
As most of us have stand up mixers with dough knives, large skillets, and love mexican food. I would highly recommend getting a Tortilla press and making your own tortillas. Start to finish I can make 16-20 corn tortillas in about 30 minutes and they blow the socks off the store bought tortillas

This one cost $20.00

IMG_20211224_154014421~2.jpg
IMG_20211224_154029809~2.jpg
IMG_20211224_154022898~2.jpg

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
As most of us have stand up mixers with dough knives, large skillets, and love mexican food. I would highly recommend getting a Tortilla press and making your own tortillas. Start to finish I can make 16-20 corn tortillas in about 30 minutes and they blow the socks off the store bought tortillas

This one cost $20.00

View attachment 169484View attachment 169485View attachment 169486
I have been looking at that same press.
However, here in glorious Canuckistan, the price seems to be just north of $50.00 everywhere online. One local Mexican grocery has nada, the other is a bit of a drive. After seeing the price in the us, I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger at 50+. Should be used to this shit by now... :butcher:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have been looking at that same press.
However, here in glorious Canuckistan, the price seems to be just north of $50.00 everywhere online. One local Mexican grocery has nada, the other is a bit of a drive. After seeing the price in the us, I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger at 50+. Should be used to this shit by now... :butcher:
Can you just use two cast iron pans back to back? Assuming you have two.
Or put a smaller one inside a bigger one.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Can you just use two cast iron pans back to back? Assuming you have two.
Or put a smaller one inside a bigger one.
I use two cutting boards and then stand on them.

But shit, that triples the time it takes to make them and usually ends up with too much beer drinkage.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Most cast iron pans come pre-seasoned over the entire pan. Back should be pre-seasoned, just not oiled.

Still doesn't mean it would make a great tortilla press.
Honestly, I remain unconvinced that preseasoning is for anything more than preventing rust from forming between the factory and the end user. Not a single skillet I own did I find the preseason to be a suitable cooking surface.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Honestly, I remain unconvinced that preseasoning is for anything more than preventing rust from forming between the factory and the end user. Not a single skillet I own did I find the preseason to be a suitable cooking surface.
Neither have I. I've also never had my cast iron get super slippery, regardless of how seasoned it is. Even stripped the seasoning once, ground the pan surface until polished, then re-seasoned, but still not close to non-stick.

Now my carbon steel pan on the other hand is quite slick.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'll give that a shot, thanks!
This is the process I follow and it has never let me down. I also apply a very light coating of flax oil after each use.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I’ve lost count of the number of tortilla presses that I have tried over the years.

The main thing to look for is a press that will not flex, at all. If it does, you’ll end up with uneven tortillas. Always had best success with the cheap ones from Mexican grocery stores. Just be sure to place the dough ball between two pieces of plastic wrap since it’s probably painted base metal.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I broke down and bought one last year and love it. I still haven't messed with flour tortillas, but nothing beats fresh corn tortillas.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Thanks. That's not even overly expensive. We have an induction cooktop, and I'm tired of buying expensive coated pans that only last 2-3 years. I'll look these up.
They require a bit more technique than coated pans, but I too prefer stainless/enameled/cast iron/carbon steel over anything coated. I've never had a coated pan, regardless of quality, last more than 5 years before the coating was compromised.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
If you can find them Griswold and Sidney cast pans are amazing. I think the Sidney are a little nicer than the Griswold.

I’ve spoiled myself with a few Falk sauté pans.
I've often wondered if the hype is real. My Lodge is a decent pan, certainly worth the $15 or whatever I paid for it. What do the Griswold or Sidney offer that Lodge doesnt?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've often wondered if the hype is real. My Lodge is a decent pan, certainly worth the $15 or whatever I paid for it. What do the Griswold or Sidney offer that Lodge doesnt?
I'm down to two or 3 regular skillets. My next buy will be a ~10" enamel coated Le creuset skillet. Then I can be rid of my last non cast iron skillets.

Oh and a crepe pan.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I'm down to two or 3 regular skillets. My next buy will be a ~10" enamel coated Le creuset skillet. Then I can be rid of my last non cast iron skillets.

Oh and a crepe pan.
Got a cast iron crepe pan from the wife awhile back... great piece. I'd like to get a small pan for eggs, mainly. Big pan works, but a small pan would be nicer, I'd wager.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Got a cast iron crepe pan from the wife awhile back... great piece. I'd like to get a small pan for eggs, mainly. Big pan works, but a small pan would be nicer, I'd wager.
I have 3.5, 4, and 5 inch cast iron skillets (not enamel coated). I can cook eggs in them no problem but you need a pretty excessive amount of oil or butter so it doesn't stick.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
From what I’ve noticed is less weight. I feel they have a little smoother cooking surface.
I will say I’ve found all of mine at antique stores and haven’t paid over $20 for one.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I have 3.5, 4, and 5 inch cast iron skillets (not enamel coated). I can cook eggs in them no problem but you need a pretty excessive amount of oil or butter so it doesn't stick.
Interesting. My big Lodge needs a little grease for eggs. Not what I'd consider excessive, though.

And my Lodge crepe pan just gets a thin wipe of butter and I've never had a crepe stick.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
electric ranges are great....Until the power goes out
Almost never happens. In fact, I think it has been over a decade since we've lost power for more than a few minutes...
Damn Kansasian's.

We lose it a couple of times a year at least. Hence why solar with battery storage is on my want list. I'd have thought similar would be beneficial for you Eric given your states stunning utility track record in burning down the state.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
From what I’ve noticed is less weight. I feel they have a little smoother cooking surface.
I will say I’ve found all of mine at antique stores and haven’t paid over $20 for one.
I'll have to keep an eye out then. I see them pop up on FB marketplace, but never seen one cheaper than $70. Just like those older Stihls you mentioned. 044s and 066s still go for $350+.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
I'll have to keep an eye out then. I see them pop up on FB marketplace, but never seen one cheaper than $70. Just like those older Stihls you mentioned. 044s and 066s still go for $350+.
I’ll keep an eye out for you locally. There is a local antique shop that usually has a few of them. That one was pretty nasty when I got it but the cook surface was still smooth. After a lot of sanding and scraping good as new.

BB0BE359-814E-4EE1-B207-BC60C8B318F7.jpeg

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
Damn Kansasian's.

We lose it a couple of times a year at least. Hence why solar with battery storage is on my want list. I'd have thought similar would be beneficial for you Eric given your states stunning utility track record in burning down the state.
When I lived in the mountains we would have had to do too much logging to make Solar worthwhile so we had a Cummins Onan 6500 generator with enough fuel for 4 days. We brought it with us when we moved to the flat lands. I have used it 3 times in 8 years. It will power the entire house. I keep it for earthquakes. After the Loma Prieta 7.0 quake we had no power service for 10 days. and up in the mountains that was common.

1640662027506.png

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I bought a Garlic press. It does not work as well as the back of a knife. I am thinking the Tortillas I buy from the Grocery store are pretty good.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
I bought a Garlic press. It does not work as well as the back of a knife. I am thinking the Tortillas I buy from the Grocery store are pretty good.
The tortilla press rocks for crushing whole cloves of garlic. Pop off the root, split the bulb in half, place both halves f the press and crush. You can pull the skins of the cloves with ease at that point