Quantcast

another must have kitchen gadget

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I've often wondered if the hype is real. My Lodge is a decent pan, certainly worth the $15 or whatever I paid for it. What do the Griswold or Sidney offer that Lodge doesnt?
Better castings, so you get a much smoother surface, and some of them are even machined for ultimate smoothness. They're also a bit heavier, more weight = better heat retention.

Lodge are fine, never felt the need for anything better. Mine have never gotten truly "slick" but the slight texture has less to do with that than me treating them like shit and ruining the seasoning constantly. I will say my Lodge griddle that got left in the rain is really nice after cleaning it with a wire brush and using a 120-grit flap-wheel on it to get it smoother, so there's probably something to the old pans being better, but I can't find the motivation to polish the rest of mine.

I do have some LeCruset enameled cookware and it's definitely better, but my Lodge 11" frying pan was like $10, my $125 LeCruset had better be better.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I take it I'm the only one to sand new cast iron smooth?

Even with several oven bake flax treatments I could never get the rough texture to season decently. A bit of time with the orbital and some elbow grease for the hand sand spots, re-seasoning and now pancakes easily lift off without the need to scrape or break out the wire brush.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I take it I'm the only one to sand new cast iron smooth?

Even with several oven bake flax treatments I could never get the rough texture to season decently. A bit of time with the orbital and some elbow grease for the hand sand spots, re-seasoning and now pancakes easily lift off without the need to scrape or break out the wire brush.
Mine still has the rough texture and I have no issues even with crepes with sticking... strange.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
well it took me 5 batches of Tortillas but I have found the size texture and taste I want for my tortillas. 2 cups of Maseca Corn flour (white bag) 1.5 cups water, 3/4 teaspoon of fine sea salt, 3/4 tablespoon of garlic powder. I make it into 16 doughballs which gives me 5 1/2 inch tortillas from the tortilla press. cook on medium high in a non stick skillet or cast iron skillet for 2 minutes flipping every 30 seconds