Quantcast

Another "my bike was stolen" thread

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Lame. I get back to school from break and the bike is gone. It was in a locked room that had all the shades drawn. Nothing else was stolen....the TV, DVDs, 2 pairs of skis and boots...everything is here...what the butt...There's (very small) chance I put it in the building storage room before I left...but I think I'd remember doing that.

If anyone cares:
Grey Giant VT 1
Fox TALAS
Hope Enduros
Mavic Crossroc front
823/Hadley rear
Conti Vertical Pro tires
X.9/X.0 drivetrain
XT cranks

I still have the DH and CX bikes, but I ride those combined about 1/4 as much as I rode this one. I built this bike up almost entirely from Ebay, Mtbr and Ridemonkey parts because I didn't have the $$$ for a new bike. I'll probably have to sell my DH and CX to get a new trailbike that I can actually use regularly. Crap.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
DRB said:
Did you contact the campus fuzz?
Why? Does somebody need a parking ticket?

I remember when my Tracer got stolen, and asked the Asheville Cop what the chances of them getting it back for me were.
His fat azz smiled to the other cop and said, "Pretty damn slim."
Nice.

Yay for homeowners ins.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That blows. Check with your insurance, they might cover it for you - and if it's a good policy, they'll cover it at replacement cost not actual value :D

Good luck!

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I'll keep my eyes open for it up here in Essex. What's up with bike thefts this year? Sucks! I agree, though, check with your insurance. This might be a chance for a new ride.:)

toby

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Wow - you're lucky that's all they took I guess. I hope the insurance covers it, that's like stealing a guys mojo. :(

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Yeah, I'll check with the insurance. I have no idea what my parents have (I am a 22 year old college student living at school). The campus fuzz are on the job but I'm not expecting much. This wasn't a drunken joyride....they're not going to find this bike in the bushes somewhere.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Your parents home owners insurance may cover this. When I was in college I had something very similar happen to me and I was covered. You are a dependent most likely and totally covered.

So if you find out you're covered gather pics of your bike, do a part by part cost of the bike using the web and make a nice little spreadsheet of your research. Submit it to the insurance company and wait a couple months ( I know that sucks) They may want to handle the replacement on their end through some shop (happened in my case) which kinda sucks if you have a shop connection and can get wholesale.

Things to find out. How much the deductable is. If its $1000, its going to hurt, if its $250 not too bad.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Zark said:
Your parents home owners insurance may cover this. When I was in college I had something very similar happen to me and I was covered. You are a dependent most likely and totally covered.

So if you find out you're covered gather pics of your bike, do a part by part cost of the bike using the web and make a nice little spreadsheet of your research. Submit it to the insurance company and wait a couple months ( I know that sucks) They may want to handle the replacement on their end through some shop (happened in my case) which kinda sucks if you have a shop connection and can get wholesale.

Things to find out. How much the deductable is. If its $1000, its going to hurt, if its $250 not too bad.
Yeah, I'll talk to the rents. The other issue is that I built it from parts bought online from individuals. The only thing from a shop was the frame...which was some shop in Idaho about 2 years ago....don't even remember the name

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
JRogers said:
Yeah, I'll talk to the rents. The other issue is that I built it from parts bought online from individuals. The only thing from a shop was the frame...which was some shop in Idaho about 2 years ago....don't even remember the name
Doesn't matter, you are looking at the cost of replacement. Just get retail value of each part. Just get the MSRP of everything you can and give it to them. They may chisel a little at that number, but it should give you enough to get a good ride.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Zark said:
Doesn't matter, you are looking at the cost of replacement. Just get retail value of each part. Just get the MSRP of everything you can and give it to them. They may chisel a little at that number, but it should give you enough to get a good ride.
Bingo. I had something similar happen a few years ago (alebit not with a bike) and got about 90% of the value of the items back.