Quantcast

another new guy question.. Bike Assembly

jsmith811

Chimp
Aug 12, 2007
I'm about to order from Online bicycle shop(name not important).. Of course they recommend I get the "pro build".. they say the "cables need streteched", derailers properly adjusted and wheels trued... I'm new to bicycles, but not an idiot with mechanical stuff.. Will I have any "real" issues assembling a mountain bike.

It's not like I'm building one from the frame up.. it should be 90% assembled.. I do plan on doing that next though..

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Things will "break in" and need adjusted as you ride the bike. Unless they're flying some guy to your house to make adjustments, forget the "pro build" and start hanging out at your LBS.

MarinR00

Monkey
Aug 27, 2007
Iraq
Bikes are VERY self-explanatory. I took my first bike totally apart and put it back together, with no real problems and I’m an idiot! Though I did take it to my local bike shop for a tune-up and told them what I had done… just in case!

But I agree with StinkyBoy. Just do it yourself, it will be a great learning experience in any event and teach you about all your components. If you mess up and can’t figure it out, your local bike shop (LBS) is right down the street! They will be happy to help you.. and of course, take your money!

If you want some help, try Mountain Biking Fundamentals on DVD. You can find it on Amazon.com. In the extras it has two guys building a MTB from scratch, and they take you through it step-by-step. Then there is another extra for shocks. Its really helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-Mountain-Bike-Technique-DVD/dp/B000F9LMT4/ref=sr_1_3/102-6743688-4631324?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1188546688&sr=8-3

Hope this helps!