Quantcast

Another new person

rickjamess

Chimp
Mar 4, 2008
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums. I'm looking to get back into biking--my older brother and I used to do it quite a bit several years ago. I've been out of the loop for a long time and am looking for some advice. I think my first step is to start looking into purchasing a bike since I don't have one anymore. Anyone have some suggestions? Also, what are some good sites to read up on reviews and bike information?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
We'd need a whole bunch of info about you and what you want to do with a bike to give you advice beyond...

do NOT spend a lot of money on your first bike since there are so many kinds and what you buy might not be exactly what you'll eventually want.

Instead, this bike should be viewed as a commuter/utility bike in a year or so and should definitely be less than $500 new, closer to $300. (I know, it's a lot of money, but "high-end" bikes are in the US$1000s.

Welcome and keep asking questions! :)

rickjamess

Chimp
Mar 4, 2008
I mainly want a bike to do some trail riding. I'm not really interested in doing much street riding.

What kind of brands, etc should I be looking at?

Several of my friends told me to goto a bike shop and let them know what I am looking for, but I'm kind of worried that they might try and push something on me that I don't need.

What other kind of info do you need?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Several of my friends told me to goto a bike shop and let them know what I am looking for, but I'm kind of worried that they might try and push something on me that I don't need.
If it's a respected bike shop, they won't and they'll teach you a lot for "free". I recommend this for all new riders or those who've been away for a while.

If you're going to do easy to moderate trails, no bombing of downhills, then something like a Giant Rincon, Trek 4300, etc. Something about $300. Preferably a clearance/NOS (new, old stock) 2006 or 2007.

Here's one very important point of a respected, real bike shop (LBS) (as opposed to Wal-Mart)... EVERY bike they sell will do the job. No LBS sells garbage, so while being familiar with brand names is helpful, your LBS may recommend something you've not heard of that's very good.

Just don't spend more than $500 on your first bike. If you fall in love with the sport, you'll eventually have 3-4 bikes for different types of riding.

Good luck, have fun and feel free to post again what your LBS recommends before you buy, in case you'd like more info on that specific bike :)

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
you'll eventually have 3-4 bikes for different types of riding.
Three or four?

Wow, that was a long time ago :)
http://velospace.org/user/859

Do you know what brands of bikes your local shop carries? There are some great options out there from most of the brands, but knowing what you have available in your area may help us to point you in a good direction.

There is no substitute for a good local shop, however.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Three or four?.
Not everyone is as psycho as you :D

I have "only" five:
-- hardtail mtb
-- single-speed roadie
-- roadie
-- $20 beater
-- cruiser motorcycle

For newbies, you could also add a free ride, downhill, full-suspension long-distance xc rig, time-trial roadie, unicycle... the list goes on; which is why I really suggest NOT spending a lot on the first bike until you know whatcha want :)

rickjamess

Chimp
Mar 4, 2008
Thanks for the info thus far. I think this weekend I'll check out a couple of shops in my area and I'll come back and let ya'll know what they tell me. Thanks for the advice thus far. Esp about not breaking bank on the first bike--I wasn't wanting to drop a lot of cash on a bike.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
If ya want, post in the "Lounge" for shop recommendations. You might live near someone on the boards that even works at a shop.

rickjamess

Chimp
Mar 4, 2008
I went today in Raleigh to two shops in the area. One shop said that I should not buy from a place in Raleigh since I don't live there anymore and should only buy from a place near Clemson (where I live now).

The other store (which I liked much better) had an 07 Raleigh Mojave for $530, plus it comes with a 'starter pack' (lock, water bottle, etc). The starter pack is what the shop gives with all their bikes. Anyways he said the components on it were pretty good and he said a comparable bike would be in the 7-800 dollar range. Here's the link to the bike I looked at http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?deptid=11&itemid=340&childid=597

Thanks,
Daniel

rickjamess

Chimp
Mar 4, 2008
It does include a helmet--not sure if its a good one or not. He just said it was a Bell model. I was thinking about buying a helmet, so wasn't too concerned about which one they gave me.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
It does include a helmet--not sure if its a good one or not. He just said it was a Bell model. I was thinking about buying a helmet, so wasn't too concerned about which one they gave me.
Helmets all meet the same safety standards, whether $10 or $150; HOWEVER, a $10 helmet is safer than the $150 if it FITS better. Same is true the other way around. When I was helmet shopping, I started at the cheapest, tried them on, and stopped when I found one that fit well.

As for not buying at the other shop, I agree, buy closer to you... assuming the closer shop is just as good. Especially if they give free tune-ups... no need to spend $20 in gas to save a few bucks on free service.

As for that Raleigh, it looks good to me. I'm certain you'd be happy with it and since it includes a 'starter pack', it's probably a pretty good value.

rickjamess

Chimp
Mar 4, 2008
I'm still looking around right now. Went to another shop in my area this week and honestly was pretty disappointed. I think they really knew their stuff, but the guy at the store pretty much told me that if I wanted to do trail riding, I would need to spend like $800 at least. And this is contrary to everything else that I've heard at every shop I've been in.

I also have been looking at used bikes. I found a 04 (I think) Jamis for 350 with the following specs:
Tires: Kenda Nevegal 26x2.1
Headset: Cane Creek Aheadset
Grips: WTB
Saddle: WTB Speed V
Front Suspension: Manitou Axel
Rear Suspension: Fox Vanilla
Shifters: Shimano Deore 3x9 speed
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore
Rear Derailleur: Shimano LX
Brake Levers: SRAM Composite
Brakes: SRAM 9.0 V-brake
Wheels/Hubs: Formula disc or rim brake compatible
Cranks: Truvativ 5D
Pedals: Crank Brothers Egg beaters or Wellgo BMX style platform (buyer’s choice)

I think the bike is more bike than I need. I wasn't really wanting to get into a full suspension bike, but the fork and derailleurs a considerably better than what I can get in a new bike for 5-600. Any thoughts?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I think they really knew their stuff, but the guy at the store pretty much told me that if I wanted to do trail riding, I would need to spend like $800 at least.
what a c0ckmunch.

Before these new fangled bikes, mt.bikers used to use whatever was available and that was often a road bike. So that guy can just go suck himself dry.

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
That Raleigh doesn't look too bad at all. You could have a great start with that bike.

rickjamess

Chimp
Mar 4, 2008
In addition to the guy at the last store I went to, when he said that I should buy a bike for $800, I started to think he was full of crap when all the bikes he showed me were around the $800 range.

Any thought on the Jamis spec's I posted, or does everyone think I should stick with a new one?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I agree with r464.

If that bike is in decent condition, that's a good deal. Don't cheap out, take it to whichever bike shop you liked the most and spend $75 (or whatever it is to get a full tune-up/inspection from the drivetrain to the shocks to the headset... (you should really do that with any used bike).

rickjamess

Chimp
Mar 4, 2008
Just wanted to update everyone...

I ended up buying the Raleigh. I talked to a shop in my hometown and asked him about the Jamis bike. Apparently he said (as a former retailer) not to buy a jamis because the company doesn't stand behind their bikes.

So far I like the Raleigh. I haven't really done any real trails thus far. Still getting a feel for the bike--especially since it has been raining quite a bit here lately. I seriously considered the Trek 6500, but in the end I felt that the Raleigh was a better deal and the components were slightly better for the money.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
congrats! get it setup as you like, take pictures and post them!

Learn how to change a flat tire, put your chain back on, wear a lid, hydrate or die, etc.