Quantcast

Another NFL thread: T.O. to DA BEARS!?!?!??!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
:) :mad: :) :mad: :) :mad: :) :mad: :) :mad:

The former All-Pro met with the Chicago Bears late Tuesday night and reportedly have offered Owens a four year $31 million incentive-laden deal , with a signing bonus of about $3.5 million.
Owens' publicist, Kim Etheredge, and his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, both declined to comment about the signing. The Bears president and CEO Ted Phillips has scheduled a news conference Wednesday afternoon...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
LordOpie said:
umm, why?

Can Kyle Orton air it out and give TO the ball enough?
Do you actually not watch enough football to know that Kyle Orton is a backup, or are you just messing around? Rex Grossman owns.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
splat said:
TO with the Da Bears ? He'll be bitching by the first regular season game that the quarterback sucks and can't get the ball to him. and demand that either they get a New QB or pay him more Money.
I think he's learned his lesson with the millions he has lost. Would be awesome if he played for the bears. I hate him, but Id love him in a heartbeat if he played for Chicago.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Secret Squirrel said:
AHAHAAHAAAA!!!!! ......*whew*.....*pant*... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!
Im not going to get into this argument, because I cant win. He's been injured alot and his numbers dont speak to his talent (kind of the opposite of culpepper who sucks, but has good stats) but if you saw him play in the 2nd half of the Carolina playoff game or vs. Atlanta this year (his only two games) he looked pretty great.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Seriously though, TO will NOT help with the development of a young QB like Grossman. He'll bitch and moan and make it a living hell for the guy. TO has shown he's got ZERO patience and tolerance for mistakes, and young QB's make a LOT of mistakes.

splat

Nam I am
BurlyShirley said:
I think he's learned his lesson with the millions he has lost. Would be awesome if he played for the bears. I hate him, but Id love him in a heartbeat if he played for Chicago.
Maybe But I doubt it . he's tooo much of a big mouthed anttention whore. its not about the money with him , its the ego, the limelight.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
splat said:
Maybe But I doubt it . he's tooo much of a big mouthed anttention whore. its not about the money with him , its the ego, the limelight.
The one example I cant think of to compare is Rodman when he went to the Bulls. I hated him before that, but he bought in to the system, and made the team the best team in basketball. Maybe playing for a "brotha" coach lovie smith, will help him alot. He wanted to go to philly to play with a black QB, and that didnt work out...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
BurlyShirley said:
Do you actually not watch enough football to know that Kyle Orton is a backup, or are you just messing around? Rex Grossman owns.
They couldn't seem to decide who was their starter last year, even when Rex wasn't hurt.

Regardless, I don't think either of them are good enough to warrant the money and aggrivation of a TO.

Lastly, I'm pretty sure you made up the story in the first post :)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
splat said:
exactly. which is why I can't see TO going anywhere where he doubts he'll get the ball enough or a QB who can get it to him.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
LordOpie said:
They couldn't seem to decide who was their starter last year, even when Rex wasn't hurt.

Regardless, I don't think either of them are good enough to warrant the money and aggrivation of a TO.

Lastly, I'm pretty sure you made up the story in the first post :)
Pulled it from a German site. I have my sources:rofl:

Seriously, Rex was hurt every game he didnt start. The PR dept. at the Bears was just trying not to damage Orton's fragile ego. Seriously.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
BurlyShirley said:
Im not going to get into this argument, because I cant win. He's been injured alot and his numbers dont speak to his talent (kind of the opposite of culpepper who sucks, but has good stats) but if you saw him play in the 2nd half of the Carolina playoff game or vs. Atlanta this year (his only two games) he looked pretty great.
Watched the entire game. Granted he was coming off an injury, he looked like crap, which is what I expect out of anyone coming off an injury. I think it was a monumentally bad decision to put him in. But whatever. Time will tell whether he's any good or goes the way of Akili Smith....having t.o. (not worth capping his name...) on the same team will not help anyone, especially not Grossman being new to the league.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Secret Squirrel said:
Watched the entire game. Granted he was coming off an injury, he looked like crap, which is what I expect out of anyone coming off an injury. I think it was a monumentally bad decision to put him in. But whatever. Time will tell whether he's any good or goes the way of Akili Smith....having t.o. (not worth capping his name...) on the same team will not help anyone, especially not Grossman being new to the league.
If you think it was a bad idea to put him in, Id say your probably didnt watch many Bears games last year. Orton hit a wall about week 5 and the defense won every game. Grossman came in and brought the offense to life. Compare his play to that of Mark Brunnel and also the other QBs with their first playoff starts this year. He played well in the 2nd half. Again, not stats wise, but he moved the ball with 3rd string receivers and a busted up line.
I guarantee if he's not injured, he's a star player in the league within a year or two.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
BurlyShirley said:
The one example I cant think of to compare is Rodman when he went to the Bulls. I hated him before that, but he bought in to the system, and made the team the best team in basketball. Maybe playing for a "brotha" coach lovie smith, will help him alot. He wanted to go to philly to play with a black QB, and that didnt work out...
You sound just like a friend that was an Eagles friend. Keep telling yourself that its a good idea. He'll tear the Bears apart.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
if TO doesnt shut his mouth and just play football no team regardless of his capability will sign him. chicago would give TO a great fan base and a chance to win deep into the playoffs as long as they sign a friggin tight end. Grossman is a china doll but i believe with all my heart that he is sooo hungry after sitting on the bench the last two seasons that he can become an amazing qb...

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
greenchris said:
if TO doesnt shut his mouth and just play football no team regardless of his capability will sign him. chicago would give TO a great fan base and a chance to win deep into the playoffs as long as they sign a friggin tight end. Grossman is a china doll but i believe with all my heart that he is sooo hungry after sitting on the bench the last two seasons that he can become an amazing qb...
Again this is major league deja vu.....

oh that dog will never bite me.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Let me add that I highly doubt that this rumor is true: But Im having football withdrawls already and I needed to vent.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
BurlyShirley said:
Let me add that I highly doubt that this rumor is true: But Im having football withdrawls already and I needed to vent.
Where exactly did you see this? I just talked to a friend of mine that has some knowledge of this stuff and he says that this isn't something he had heard yet.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
DRB said:
Where exactly did you see this? I just talked to a friend of mine that has some knowledge of this stuff and he says that this isn't something he had heard yet.
Google the text. I pulled it from cbfans.com, who pulled it from a bears fan site in germany. As I said, Im sure its bogus.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
griese can be good with the right coordinators and opportunity. He was immature, then good, then hurt, so I hope he gets another chance and makes the most of it.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
greenchris said:
im just pissed that the bears havent signed anyone. they are looking at douchebags like griese and hakim.
Yeah, Im a little miffed too. I was hoping for McCown or Randle El, but the Redskins gave an arm and a leg for him and McCown is prolly going to Detroit. I just hope we draft Pope in the 1st and sign a good backup QB.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
greenchris said:
isnt jason witten a free agent? i would love for the bears to pick him up
I think Dallas re-upped him already. Seriously, Leonard Pope from Georgia should be there when the Bears pick. I think he has the ability to be a helluva tight end.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
BurlyShirley said:
Yeah, Im a little miffed too. I was hoping for McCown or Randle El, but the Redskins gave an arm and a leg for him and McCown is prolly going to Detroit. I just hope we draft Pope in the 1st and sign a good backup QB.
id prefer signing witten and i really wanted to see em pick up adam Archuleta. although randle El is good and can add a bit of suprise to an offense i think the bears would do better with a more traditional wr...howabout TOMMY WADDlE!!! he was the greatest:drool:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
greenchris said:
id prefer signing witten and i really wanted to see em pick up adam Archuleta. although randle El is good and can add a bit of suprise to an offense i think the bears would do better with a more traditional wr...howabout TOMMY WADDlE!!! he was the greatest:drool:
Dude. Tom Waddle is my favorite player of all time. I wore 87 even as a runningback through all the years I played because I admired him so much. I have an autographed card of his. That guy had hands man. Never dropped the ball.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
tommy waddle was and still is the man. he was never afraid to catch a ball in the middle of the field. i remember waddle catching a pass up the middle he got hit in his mouth so hard he flipped and landed upside down on his head. he got up right away...

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
TO wants to win as much as he wants money. He doesn't want to deal with a struggling QB - he showed that much with McNabb, and he did a lot of the same in SF. He'll be looking to go to a team with a strong QB under center, with a bit of green to spare and a hole in the WR slot. That means Dallas or Denver (I expect the former).

Wonder if we'll see Keshawn go to Seattle....

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
robdamanii said:
TO wants to win as much as he wants money. He doesn't want to deal with a struggling QB - he showed that much with McNabb, and he did a lot of the same in SF. He'll be looking to go to a team with a strong QB under center, with a bit of green to spare and a hole in the WR slot. That means Dallas or Denver (I expect the former).

Wonder if we'll see Keshawn go to Seattle....
...uh...the Bears made the playoffs and Dallas didnt. Denver only went 1 game further....Im not saying those arent better scenarios, but Jake Plummer and Drew Bledsoe are hardly "strong QBs" these days.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Speaking as a Bears fan and football lover in general, I'd prefer to see Mr. Owens and his ox cart of baggage never step on another football field suited to play. Ever.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
the ironic thing is, I don't remember TO ever getting arrested for violence, drugs, conspiracy, whatever.

He didn't hit his wife on a drunken craze, screw another woman and then kill someone... he mouthed off.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
LordOpie said:
the ironic thing is, I don't remember TO ever getting arrested for violence, drugs, conspiracy, whatever.

He didn't hit his wife on a drunken craze, screw another woman and then kill someone... he mouthed off.
Yeah, thats kind of my thing opie.
For instance, Steve McNair has a couple DUIs and a domestic assault against his wife, but no one bitches about him. Ray Lewis (allegedly) killed a guy and Jamal Lewis went to prison for selling cocaine. All kinds of crap goes on in the NFL, but for some reason, TO is the worst dude ever...

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
BurlyShirley said:
Yeah, thats kind of my thing opie.
For instance, Steve McNair has a couple DUIs and a domestic assault against his wife, but no one bitches about him. Ray Lewis (allegedly) killed a guy and Jamal Lewis went to prison for selling cocaine. All kinds of crap goes on in the NFL, but for some reason, TO is the worst dude ever...
Agreed. TO is the most outspoken me-first guy in a league built upon me-first guys. While I don't like his tactics, but I can't exactly blame him for being human and honest.

TO's effect (on the field) cannot be underrated. Does anyone remember a few years ago when it took McNabb 7 or 8 weeks to throw a TD to one of his receivers? What happened the next year? TO showed up and McNabb had a career year.

Imo, I'd like to see TO end up with the Chiefs or Carolina...drool...

Chicago doesn't need Archuleta when they have Mike Brown (both play strong, right?). They most definitely DON'T need TO after they shelled out the dough for Moose. How is Chicago's o-line?

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
LordOpie said:

He also doesn't dog his play ala Vince Carter.....he works his ass off every game.

He's still a knob though. I mean, Ray Lewis killed like six guys, but at least he's not a distraction to his team.