Quantcast

another question about pegs...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I felt this topic was worthy of its own thread.

I've been looking around, and almost all the pegs I see are 4" or 4.5". I've only seen one company (Eclat) that makes a 3" peg. Why does 4" seem to be the magic number for peg length? Why isn't there anyone making a 2" or 2.5" peg? Is it too difficult to line up your pegs with the rail/ledge/coping for anything under 4"? Is it the amount of contact area b/w the peg and what you're grinding? Or does it have something to do with axles? That seems somewhat counter intuitive to me, as a shorter peg is a shorter fulcrum, and hence is less likely to bend an axle. Or is there something else I'm completely missing. Something from the manufacturing & production end of things?

FWIW I know I can just take a hacksaw/disc cutter to my pegs to shorten them, I'm just curious as to why almost all of them are the length they are.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yea I've seen those, the look like they're under 2". I guess what I'm wondering why there's nothing in between those and regular 4" pegs. I think I might be taking a hack saw to a spare pair of pegs to find out.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
heh heh, keep in mind pegs were originally designed in the 80s for standing on, not grinding, and they were small.

i think flatlanders were the ones to first try to get longer pegs because they are better for the width of your foot. people would put pvc over their peg, or jam a cut off piece of a broom handle into them and other dumb stuff. then some rider flatlander in the midwest (maybe bill nitchke?? made Pulse pegs--bolt on 4" X 1" pegs). around the same time, Havok pegs were made in SoCal. 4" X 1" bolt ons were better for both flatland and street and short thread-on axle pegs were almost immediately obsolete.

but to answer your question....why not 2" or 3" for street/park. fine if you like it, but i think it's easier to miss the coping or ledge. especially with stuff like icepicks where a lof times you just catch the end of your peg.