Quantcast

Another question on pulling apart a 03 Super T

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
As in NS1's thread I was replacing the oil in the fork. I pulled the springs out and cycled the dampers till all the oil was out of them. Left the fork upside down to drain and came back a hour later. Held the fork up right and started to put oil in it. (he comes the question) Besides pumping the dampers, I went and pumped the uppers and the pulled right out of the lowers???
All the other forks that I have ever had apart had c-clips at the bottom of the stanction tubes that held the fork together.

Does the 03 Super T only have that little c-clip at the top holding the entire fork together?

Does anyone have a blow up diagram of the fork, so I may see if there are parts missing?

Any info would help here, thanks.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by Instigator

Does the 03 Super T only have that little c-clip at the top holding the entire fork together?
Yup, all Marz HSCV forks have that, don't they?

When you pump the dampers, you might as well leave the fork in the fully compressed position, and just pump the rod... it's a fair bit easier ;)

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
Originally posted by Rik
Yup, all Marz HSCV forks have that, don't they?

When you pump the dampers, you might as well leave the fork in the fully compressed position, and just pump the rod... it's a fair bit easier ;)
I was only planning on pumping the legs to make sure oil was around and above the bushings. I didn't think the fork would just pull in half?

I didn't even get the chance to pump the dampers, once I pulled the legs out of the lowers I was to busy cleaning up all the oil :(

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
Would anyone confirm that the fork will indeed pull apart when you remove the c-clip and preload adjuster from the top of the stantions???

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
sodra scary huh.

when i did my one side shiver mod all that was holding the fork from coming apart was ONE C CLIP!:eek: :eek:

Nately27

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
BCD, When you one sided your Shiver, did you run an air cap in either leg to get higher pressure? or did you just run a heavier spring in the one leg? Im thinking about running an air cap in my Super T and was wondering where you got your air cap, and what kind of setup you had? thanks

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Originally posted by Nately27
BCD, When you one sided your Shiver, did you run an air cap in either leg to get higher pressure? or did you just run a heavier spring in the one leg? Im thinking about running an air cap in my Super T and was wondering where you got your air cap, and what kind of setup you had? thanks
no i sealed it up. with it being sealed it gave some spring feel w/o any presure, but it would get neg presure i niticed some times. an air chech would be good w 10 psi or so just to know you are on the up side.
i don't know if any other marz parts have the same thread as your super t. i used a spring from a white brothers + some shiver to not have them bind for the travel the shiver had. that will be your biggest problem if having enoght room for a 2x stiff spring. one marz hd will not be enough. dorado or white might not fit. it will feel better if you don't pack 50 psi in one leg they are not air forks. there will not be much weight savings by doing that.

good luck alex

NS1

Chimp
Feb 7, 2004
Pirbright, UK
As in NS1's thread I was replacing the oil in the fork. I pulled the springs out and cycled the dampers till all the oil was out of them. Left the fork upside down to drain and came back a hour later. Held the fork up right and started to put oil in it. (he comes the question) Besides pumping the dampers, I went and pumped the uppers and the pulled right out of the lowers???
All the other forks that I have ever had apart had c-clips at the bottom of the stanction tubes that held the fork together.

Does anyone have a blow up diagram of the fork, so I may see if there are parts missing?

Any info would help here, thanks.
I very nearly did exactly the same thing when I was putting mine back together just now.:eek:
I pulled up on the bars to lift the stanchions, so I could fit the top caps & almost pulled them out of the lowers, I think I only just got away with it. I'd have been well pissed, as I just got the oil levels sorted & was putting it all back together.

largerthan9

Monkey
Dec 10, 2002
Would anyone confirm that the fork will indeed pull apart when you remove the c-clip and preload adjuster from the top of the stantions???
You are correct sir!

that fork does not have a circlip (or valve or topout spring) at the bottom of the stanchion as it is all selfcontained in the cartridge...
the top cap circlip is all that is required to hold the fork together.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
boy I'm glad I read this, I was going to change the oil in my super T tomorrow and I am almost positive I would have pulled it apart. Don't you have to replace the oil seals once you've separated the lowers from the uppers? My Fox Forx wouldn't come apart until I removed the nut at the bottom of the lower and then the cartridge would slide out of the top of the stantion and the lowers would separate from the uppers. I thought both forks were the same in principle.