Quantcast

another reason to hate the RIAA

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
You've got to be kidding me. Don't IPs have names attached to them as who is paying for the IP at that address?

Jesus.....what a waste of life the RIAA is. And they wonder why I haven't bought a CD in 9 months?

J

JRB

It they are right, the people should be jailed for their music selection. It could be argued that they are insane and should get some treatment, but soon released.

It's amazing that they don't have anything else to worry about.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I read that yesterday, too funny. I love that when confronted with the fact that they do not own a computer, they insist they were still file sharing.

Believe it or not this is a good thing as it only sheds a bad light on the RIAA. The more this happens, the more they discredit themselves.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Echo said:
Stupid firewall.
Sunday, April 23, 2006
RIAA sues family that doesn't own a PC
The RIAA has filed a file-sharing suit against a family in Rockmart, GA. The family doesn't own a computer.

Good to see a real standard of care in place over there at RIAA sue-your-customers HQ; this is probably more profitable in the long run than suing people who do share music, since those people are statistically more likely to spend money on CDs. Focusing on shaking down people who don't own PCs will keep the music industry from alienating its diehard fans.

"I don't understand this," Walls said. "How can they sue us when we don't even have a computer?"

Walls also noted that his family has only resided at their current address "for less than a year." He wondered if a prior tenant of the home had Internet access, then moved, leaving his family to be targeted instead.

However, the RIAA's lawsuit maintains that Carma Walls, through the use of a file-sharing program, has infringed on the copyrights for the following songs: "Who Will Save Your Soul," Jewel; "Far Behind," Candlebox; "Still the Same," Bob Seger; "I Won't Forget You," Poison; "Open Arms," Journey; "Unpretty," TLC; No Scrubs," TLC; and "Saving All My Love for You," Whitney Houston.
There you go.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
That's a riot. Once again, the RIAA shoots themselves in the foot. Haven't bought a CD since 1996 here, and only buy movies used from the video stores.

(I do buy tv box sets though, after having DLed HD espisodes throughout the entire season, and watched them commercial free).

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
We need to resurrect the spirit of Frank Zappa - after the great things he did to battle Tipper Gore and the censorship movement of the 80's, I wonder what he'd have to say about all of this.

RIAA.... more like Dia-RIAA.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
S.K.C. said:
We need to resurrect the spirit of Frank Zappa - after the great things he did to battle Tipper Gore and the censorship movement of the 80's, I wonder what he'd have to say about all of this.

RIAA.... more like Dia-RIAA.
I'm curious about something. Despite not being in favor of the strongarm tactics the recording industry has taken to these days, I'm actually strongly against any form or illegal music "sharing." Is it the tactics that people object to or just that their "right" to illegally trade music is being infringed upon? If you were in the business of making and selling music would you be inclined to lay down and let people steal your product for free? I just don't get the whole, "If it's online it must be free attitude." I deal with people on a daily basis who send me photos and say, "Hey, I found this photo on (insert company name) website. Can we use this in the ad?"

In all seriousness though, I'm not trying stir the pot. I really am curious about what people think.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Lex said:
I'm curious about something. Despite not being in favor of the strongarm tactics the recording industry has taken to these days, I'm actually strongly against any form or illegal music "sharing." Is it the tactics that people object to or just that their "right" to illegally trade music is being infringed upon? If you were in the business of making and selling music would you be inclined to lay down and let people steal your product for free? I just don't get the whole, "If it's online it must be free attitude." I deal with people on a daily basis who send me photos and say, "Hey, I found this photo on (insert company name) website. Can we use this in the ad?"

In all seriousness though, I'm not trying stir the pot. I really am curious about what people think.
I think we can all agree that downloading music is stealing. I work in a field where IP is just as important (photo and design work). I don't want people stealing my stuff either. I think the big difference is, If i See a proiblem, I follow the laws to get it resolved. The RIAA has the laws rewritten.

People's backlash is against the strongarm tactics the RIAA is taking, not againts the artists. Trying to have laws rewritten to suit them, telling businessmen how they can run their businesses (see recent complainst againts Itunes store etc) and the like is just ridiculous. People don't want to buy CDs because you get one decent song and 12 crap tracks. Business models need to change.

TV episodes are a WHOLE different story, in my opinion. The networks are starting to realize this though and are now changing their business models. Old models for music, video and tv distribution don't work any more. They need to change with the times.