Quantcast

another reason to support your LBS

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
a good shop knows how to get things done!!!!

Last week I broke my crank arm on my single speed. Monday My LBS called the company. Tuesday the new crank arm shipped. wednesday, I find out they replaced the whole crank , with a new bottom bracket and new stronger and upgraded "giga x " bottom bracket... nice!!!!! :thumb: it came in and installed immediatley

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
robdamanii said:
Very nice.

I'm happy to support my LBS (and even some that aren't local for me) with many things. Some things, however, are just cheaper online.

Any particular reason your other arm busted in half?
whats nice about my LBS is that if you tell her you saw it online for cheaper she will do her best to matchthe price.. sometimes she cant... but.. to me its worth it
by the time you pay shipping fees and have to wait for it it evens out. My lbs also includes installing the item at the same cost.. so if its $100 for new shifters.. thats the price installed, thats another reason it all evens outs

as far as why the arm broke?? no clue.. i dont really abuse my singlespeed.. it just broke.. actually that scares me more than if i was jumping with it

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
yea, that is cool... but it also takes a good manufacturer (that stands behind their product) to really get things done.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
hooples3 said:
whats nice about my LBS is that if you tell her you saw it online for cheaper she will do her best to matchthe price.. sometimes she cant... but.. to me its worth it
by the time you pay shipping fees and have to wait for it it evens out. My lbs also includes installing the item at the same cost.. so if its $100 for new shifters.. thats the price installed, thats another reason it all evens outs

as far as why the arm broke?? no clue.. i dont really abuse my singlespeed.. it just broke.. actually that scares me more than if i was jumping with it
I've tried the price match thing before, and you're right; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It really depends on the part and if it's clearance/last years stock or not. Our regular shop told us flat out to snag our Kona frames online since he couldn't get them and they were an unbeatable deal. I really can't complain about the LBS up here either. They've got wonderful service at a very reasonable price.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
robdamanii said:
I've tried the price match thing before, and you're right; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It really depends on the part and if it's clearance/last years stock or not. Our regular shop told us flat out to snag our Kona frames online since he couldn't get them and they were an unbeatable deal. I really can't complain about the LBS up here either. They've got wonderful service at a very reasonable price.
ive been in your shop... its a nice shop and seemed reasonable

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I drive 40 minutes to my favorite LBS because they drop what they are doing to fix my problems immediately. I guess spending 10 grand there in three years earns you that service. :D

The next bike I buy, I'll give them first dibs on selling me one.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
hooples3 said:
ive been in your shop... its a nice shop and seemed reasonable
Overlook? Indeed, he's a hell of a nice guy, and works with you on everything.

Hell, it was only $40 labor to basically build a good percentage of my Dawg (headset press, fork install, crankset and BB install, brake alignment, derailleur adjustment) including materials and use of his space while I worked on it. And I'll be going back friday for my SRAM parts and to finish BBs King Kik as well.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
robdamanii said:
Overlook? Indeed, he's a hell of a nice guy, and works with you on everything.

Hell, it was only $40 labor to basically build a good percentage of my Dawg (headset press, fork install, crankset and BB install, brake alignment, derailleur adjustment) including materials and use of his space while I worked on it. And I'll be going back friday for my SRAM parts and to finish BBs King Kik as well.
yes overlook... i have a friend who has a house in woodstock.. im there several times a year

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I suppose it's different if you live in an area that has a competent bike shop staff, or don't do the work yourself. I've had too much bad luck with LBS mechanics. Now I do my own work, built-up my Titus Switchblade, and my wife's Racer-X myself. I buy the parts wherever I can get them at a reasonable price. I saved about $1000 on my wife's bike, by shopping around and doing the work my self.

The one shop (I know of) that has decent mechanics (Landis) sells everything above list price. There are a couple of shops I think Stinkyboy uses, but they aren't close to my house. Actually there is one shop I'll use now, and that's South Mountain Cycles, the main mechanic there is good, quick, and fun to talk to while he works.

If your LBS does alright by you, then by all means support them, it's tough being a small business person, and people doing a good job should be rewarded not exploited.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Reactor said:
If your LBS does alright by you, then by all means support them, it's tough being a small business person, and people doing a good job should be rewarded not exploited.
Exactly.

there are some things that can't be matched. Like for instance, my LBS up here just can't match the 65 bucks I paid for my new saddle....

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
Reactor said:
I suppose it's different if you live in an area that has a competent bike shop staff, or don't do the work yourself. I've had too much bad luck with LBS mechanics. Now I do my own work, built-up my Titus Switchblade, and my wife's Racer-X myself. I buy the parts wherever I can get them at a reasonable price. I saved about $1000 on my wife's bike, by shopping around and doing the work my self.

The one shop (I know of) that has decent mechanics (Landis) sells everything above list price. There are a couple of shops I think Stinkyboy uses, but they aren't close to my house. Actually there is one shop I'll use now, and that's South Mountain Cycles, the main mechanic there is good, quick, and fun to talk to while he works.

i can understand your points..
i actually enjoy working on my own bikes.. i find it relaxing and i look forward to becoming very good at it.ive been a long time customer at my LBS.. she gives me most of the stuff i buy from her at or close to her cost. including clifbars and fox apparel... i cant complain
if it wasnt like that then i would go through the internet more often

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I Are Baboon said:
I drive 40 minutes to my favorite LBS because they drop what they are doing to fix my problems immediately. I guess spending 10 grand there in three years earns you that service. :D

The next bike I buy, I'll give them first dibs on selling me one.

I stopped going to one of my lbs after I brought in 4 wheels to be trued and a fork steerer to be cut, I asked if the steerer could be cut while I waited...I was the only customer & there were 3 guys in the shop (none were working on a bike)....they said they couldnt being they closed in 30 minutes

ok, bye bye!

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
douglas said:
I stopped going to one of my lbs after I brought in 4 wheels to be trued and a fork steerer to be cut, I asked if the steerer could be cut while I waited...I was the only customer & there were 3 guys in the shop (none were working on a bike)....they said they couldnt being they closed in 30 minutes

ok, bye bye!
That's crap.

My shop has stayed past closing time to get me on my way, even after I told them I could come back the next day.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I Are Baboon said:
That's crap.

My shop has stayed past closing time to get me on my way, even after I told them I could come back the next day.
yeah mine too .. she has stayed open late.. opened up early and have lent me a bike on some occasions

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
douglas said:

ok, bye bye!
They happen to be close to Colonie Center? I had an experience like that there and never went back. IMO, the majority of the bike shops in the Albany area were road shops / weren't very good and / or tended to be very expensive. Not only were the prices high to begin with, they never installed anything for the price paid in the shop like indicated in the above post. Plus, it seemed like you always had to give your bike up for a week. The only exception was Clifton Park Sports, who was pretty good, but has a different name now that eludes me.

I bought a couple of tubes from one shop, and they actually said to me - we can install those for $2. :rolleyes: (People actually pay to have tubes installed?) I bought my first full-suspension bike from a shop in Great Barrington, Massachusetts because of the lack of good options in Albany area when I lived there.

Bottom line is I still will support GOOD shops. I will and do pay extra for things at them for the convience of getting it now and as a "thank-you" for something they previously serviced well and timely on my bike. There are several nearby here in Massachusetts, and they have been great, and a whole different experience than in Albany.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I have no idea how they stay in business. They must prey on the uninformed, stupid, and weak. :dead: They actually had one good mechanic who helped me one day, an older guy. The next time I went back, he wasn't there, and I experienced pretty much what you did. He probably didn't like them either and quit. :p

Edit: The Downtube is pretty good, just a little expensive and parking can be a bitch. Gives you a reason to go to El Loco for lunch.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
hooples3 said:
i can understand your points..
i actually enjoy working on my own bikes.. i find it relaxing and i look forward to becoming very good at it.ive been a long time customer at my LBS.. she gives me most of the stuff i buy from her at or close to her cost. including clifbars and fox apparel... i cant complain
if it wasnt like that then i would go through the internet more often

It's funny, but I find working on my bikes to be relaxing too, the more I work at it the more relaxing it gets. I'm not some Internet bike parts Evangelist, if you like your bike shop then you should support them. The one shop I like (South Mountain cycles) I'll buy stuff from even if it's slightly higher than the Internet, because they're good, usually have core parts (drive train, tubes, seats) and they don't BS you about anything you're buying. The performance bike shop near me, on the other hand, I exploit without mercy...

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
douglas said:

ok, bye bye!
do you ever go to Downtube?

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
drats, I can't edit my post on my mac at work

But...I've been to that crappy shop in Albany near Colonie Center and it stinks worse than the Albany dump on a summer afternoon. The store itself wasn't even well setup. I thought Downtube was okay the few times I've been. They have great customer service (which is really important when you just want to ask a lot of questions or get a second opinion). They didn't have a great selection however and, yes, parking is a pain. And their prices...well, have a couple of homemade sangrias at El Loco, who am I to complain!:p

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
bluebug32 said:
...well, have a couple of homemade sangrias at El Loco, who am I to complain!:p

or walk over to Lark, see if my friend (owner of Hollywood) is in to hook me up, or head over to Bombers for some cheap tacos & $2 drafts!!

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
douglas said:
or walk over to Lark, see if my friend (owner of Hollywood) is in to hook me up, or head over to Bombers for some cheap tacos & $2 drafts!!
I like El Mariachi too

Bombers has good draft beer :drool: not just the typical Coors light, Bud crap

I spent my 21st birthday somewhere on Lark St. (I don't remember the restaurant), but they treated me very well.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My not so local LBS used to host group urban night rides with another shop down the street. I can think of more than one time that someone broke something only to have one of the employees ride with the guy back to the shop, open up, fix what was broke, and then put it on credit to be paid "the next time you come in".

Even though I no longer live close by, they still get a better part of my business when possible. But I am racing for my real local shop this year because I have known the owner since he opened 3 years ago and he has earned my business over time.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Gotta love the lbs. Once I actually had to go to a different shop because it is a lot closer and that was all I had time for. I had broken a spoke, it was a friday and near closing time and he didn't have the right spoke in stock...The weather for the weekend was beautiful and I was totally bummed because I wanted to ride. The owner gave me his front wheel to use for the weekend untill he got me mine back on monday. So hey even that was good...even if it was a bikeshop that isn't 'my' preferred lbs.

splat

Nam I am
douglas said:

ok, bye bye!
thats Crap. I have 2 shops local to me I work with , one for Mt bikes the other for road . and either one ofthem know me and would drop what they are doing to help me.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I LOVE how my lbs is way overpriced, never has anything in stock, hires people who know nothing to try and sell me things, and then charges me shipping on crap that they mark up about 200% when I order.
**** the lbs. I hope they all go out of business.