Quantcast

Another reason why bike commuting is cool

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The train broke down about 7 miles from my station. I jumped out and rode my bike the rest of the way to work.

I wasn't exactly dressed for a long ride, but at least I got there in a reasonable amount of time. I wanted to bitch, but it was a nice morning and I rode the Palo Alto "Bike Boulevard", which has almost no traffic.

Imagine the kind of mood I would be in if I had to wait on the train, or even worse, stuck in my car on the highway...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
My commute to work today was decidedly uncool. But hey, the AC in my truck is broken so it's not like it was going to be any cooler driving.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I wussed out and didn't ride today. But my ride home is often 15 minutes shorter than if I wait for the bus (once I get off the train). So it doesn't save a lot of time, but it does help.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Sweet! I've been commuting on my road bike mostly - it's faster and I can catch a draft off of trucks more easily.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
that was the big problem, i am going mtn biking tonight, so i rode my norco torrent with 2.4 tires. some dude on a bike friday dropped me like a hammer, but no biggie.

splat

Nam I am
I love commuting to work on my Bike. I decided i am Not putting gas in My car till after labor day! Last time I filled it was June 26 ( because I had a Buisness trip to Islandia NY ) and it is still at 3/4 of a tank. I take mostly quite roads , with a 1 mile climb thrown in for good measure.

and I love it . I am mostly using my Road bike , In Bad weather I use my Fixie , and I have Used my Mt bike once ,andthen decidied to see how little pavement riding I could get away with on the way home. I had it down to about 3 Miles on a 19 mile ride.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
sanjuro said:
that was the big problem, i am going mtn biking tonight, so i rode my norco torrent with 2.4 tires. some dude on a bike friday dropped me like a hammer, but no biggie.
oh man, the bike friday. :rofl:

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
I froze my everything this morning. It's too early for it to be getting all cold and such! :mumble:

I'm going to put some gears on the commuter...the BS climb that I have to do sucks too much in the tall gear.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
SilentJ said:
I froze my everything this morning. It's too early for it to be getting all cold and such! :mumble:

I'm going to put some gears on the commuter...the BS climb that I have to do sucks too much in the tall gear.
LMAO! Yah, I pulled on a wind vest this am, and actually used arm warmers Monday!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
That's cool as heck that you had your bike with you when the train died. But I'm not sure how that counts as bike commuting :confused:

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Heidi said:
LMAO! Yah, I pulled on a wind vest this am, and actually used arm warmers Monday!
We're only a couple weeks away from seeing frost at night..then it will still hit into the 80's in the afternoon. I believe July is the only month that we don't record an average snowfall! Makes dressing properly a PITA. Dripping snot in the morning and sweat in the afternoon! Stupid sub-desert-ness!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Echo said:
That's cool as heck that you had your bike with you when the train died. But I'm not sure how that counts as bike commuting :confused:
Well, I ride to the train (2 miles). I ride from the train (2 miles). And I since live 40 miles away from work, I don't bike commute, but I will take the train in the morning and ride home.

Also Caltrain has special bike cars, which can hold 16-32 bikes.

Jeronimo

Monkey
Jul 11, 2006
behind that boulder
I had some a-hole do one of those "let's see how close we can get to the cyclist" moves on me this morning. When I showed him his combined IQ and hat size with my middle digit, he acted like he was going to pull over...until I stood on the pedals to expedite any meeting we might be having. He didn't pull over :-(

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
riding home in the heat made the bad smells (either some nearby farm, or rotting animal) way more noticeable. there was one stretch which could have gagged a maggot.