Quantcast

another riot at UC Berkeley

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
With resultant vandalism of a UC Building and surrounding neighborhoods. Oh and the punks have a bigger protest/riot planned for March. I wonder if RM's resident tool mooshu was involved? Hopfully he was one of the fixie poser/rioters hit by a police baton when they couldn't push their bikes away fast enough

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
As much as I am into riots and protests, this is totally pointless.

The whole UC system, like much of the state, is screwed. You can cry and whine, but all the protest is going to do is raise the expenditures of local PD's.

I wish there was Hell's Angels willing to break up this one, ala Sonny Barger during the Vietnam Protests.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Glad I graduated before the State realized it didn't have any money........

In my years at Berkeley ('04 to '09), aside from the tree-sitters (lol), there wasn't much protesting. The biggest riot I could recall was when Obama won.

I definitely don't agree with the exorbitant fee hikes, but I definitely don't agree with this rioting. To be fair, the overwhelming majority of these violent protesters aren't even UC students--they're really just out-of-towners who're looking for any way to "stick it to The Man". The majority of Berkeley kids lock themselves in the libraries and study--as they should--because we know good grades, and a worthwhile education speak louder than some stupid complaint shouted over a megaphone. They may be "hippies", but they're not dumb. Think about it... if you (or your Mommy & Daddy) were already paying an extra 33% above the ~$15K/year in tuition from last year, why the hell would you violently erupt, and risk getting expelled from school?

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
California: America's Very Own Greece!
Except that California's economy is way bigger than the Greek economy, and given the current situation, IMHO way scarier. :eek:
Greece 2008 GDP =356,796,000,000
California's 2008 GDP (or GSP) =$1,812,968,000,000.

In fact if California was a country, it would be 8th in terms of GDP.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
With resultant vandalism of a UC Building and surrounding neighborhoods. Oh and the punks have a bigger protest/riot planned for March. I wonder if RM's resident tool mooshu was involved? Hopfully he was one of the fixie poser/rioters hit by a police baton when they couldn't push their bikes away fast enough
Can't say I was there, I had like 3 tests to study for that weekend

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I noticed there are big protests all over Norcal today (Hence the "Day Of Protests").

I just don't know how they think protests are going to cut the budget?

NAYR

Monkey
Jul 13, 2009
Truckee
At UCSB today, the protest people entered my 300 person lecture class and started chanting "walkout" for 4-5 minutes. Instead of getting support from the lecture class, they just pissed people off. 4-5 people stood up out of their seats and said get the **** out, and not one person from the lecture left to join. That's how you know finals week is coming up. The teacher had no idea what to do. It was hilarious. The best part was the Chancellor of UCSB then entered and assertively told the protest people to leave.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
As much as I enjoy protests, like watching sports for me, I have to say this protest is a miserable failure.

The protesters engendered no sympathy for their plight. The news programs mostly showed interviews with idiots who asked for "No fees at all", and, of course, the 880 shutdown.

If you were on the fence beforehand, I bet most people want any protester expelled.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I was in SF at the actual protest (i wasn't so down for blocking freeway traffic) and I have to say that there were a TON of black people and asians there.

On a side note, I did almost get myself arrested. We parked in a garage and there was some sort of weird barrier blocking off about half a floor. I decided to peak my head around. BAD move, the thing had probably 50 or so homeland security cop cars and 5 or 6 homeland security patty wagons, Before I knew what was going on I was being questioned by a couple fools in semi undercover outfits asking what I was doing.

Thanks for resigning the homeland security act obama. Fin dick

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
honestly, if some schmuck got in my way on my evening commute on the highway, I can't guarantee something like this wouldn't happen:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
lol@the old dude calling it a "riot".

my ex barricaded a UCSC entrance...the (relative to UCSC) moderate 4.9 GPA pre-med major. iiiinteresting.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Just like East Coasters know that walking against the light in Manhattan is inviting death, the expectation of pedestrians and drivers in the Bay Area is that the crosswalk is a force-field protected, sanctuary zone.

So not surprisingly, those protesters figured they could stop traffic with little personal risk.

It is easy to say, "Run them over", but as someone who has been on the street, blocking traffic, it ain't happening.

As it turns out, I was on the motorcycle yesterday, so I like to think I would have found a way to maneuver around them. However, the police stopped all traffic and I did see a moto waiting while the police arrested everyone.

I think it was a horrible idea to let these guys go 24 hours later. Should have made bail $500,000.