Quantcast

Another smokers query.......

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
As I've got older I've smoked more....but then I've drunk more....but then I've earnt more....I can't help myself....time for another ciggie.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
SkaredShtles said:
So - did anyone who is/was a smoker start when they were an adult? Has anyone known someone who started as an adult? Let's say for the sake of argument that adulthood is 18y.o.
Sure, I know a bunch of people who started at 18 or at 21.

18 because they went off to college and weren't beholden to their parents anymore - which means more partying, which meant, for them, smoking.

21 because they started going to bars where it seems most of the population smokes.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I messed around swiping cigs from my grandfather when I was real young (who didn't?) but didn't start actually smoking until my 18th birthday.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
I would guess most people start at that age range. I wonder if people start when they are older and have a bit of living under their belt. How often does the older, say late 20s or 30s maybe 40s, person take up smoking?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I was 14. I used to pick up a buddy on the moped in the morning who was always running late. I'm sitting there one morning and his mom offers me a cigarette...

I'd still like to spit in her face one day.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
So on the topic of smoking (I'm a youngin at 16) is it easy when you're starting to just pick up a burning stick and inahle smoke that around others smells horrible and makes you wanna throw up? (Not trying to flame on anybody or what they like, just how I am I guess) Smoking just doesn't seem like its worth it to me...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
COmtbiker12 said:
So on the topic of smoking (I'm a youngin at 16) is it easy when you're starting to just pick up a burning stick and inahle smoke that around others smells horrible and makes you wanna throw up? (Not trying to flame on anybody or what they like, just how I am I guess) Smoking just doesn't seem like its worth it to me...
:D

It's not. I took up smoking when I was 16 and did it at parties for about 6 months. I never smoked by myself, so I think that I never began to experience nicotine addiction. One morning I woke up and realized my mouth tasted like a pack of tiny chimpanzees had been running around $hitting on my tongue all night and never had another cig.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I used to dig those bubble gum cigarettes when I was a kid, you know the ones that are make of gum, wrapped in paper, and release a small puff of flour when you blow on them? That was a great candy invention for kids! Do they make those anymore?

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
COmtbiker12 said:
when i was a kid it was cool, it was everywhere in the movies on tv and all of my parents friends did it. So people i respected did it AND it had that 'i dont give a fvck' life style my friends and i so hardily embraced.
No where I live it’s frowned upon but still has the rebel appeal. The Deep South, or Tobacco Belt, is still deeply entrenched in the Tobacco economy and tobacco life style.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I Are Baboon said:
I used to dig those bubble gum cigarettes when I was a kid, you know the ones that are make of gum, wrapped in paper, and release a small puff of flour when you blow on them? That was a great candy invention for kids! Do they make those anymore?
the government has been going after those as ploys to make smoking cool to kids kind of like Joe Camel.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I Are Baboon said:
Kids these days are a lot more sophisticated than we are. They just have candy crack pipes and candy hypodermic needles.

Not proud to admit it but I have tried many of the recreational chemicals out there. But I have never even taken a drag off of a cig or even held a lit one in my mouth.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
BikeGeek said:
I had a coworker who started at 26. Her reason? She noticed that a lot of attractive guys at the bars were smoking. :rolleyes:
a chic i know stated at what ever adult age because she said she noticed only 'skinny' people smoked and she wanted to be skinny. I'm not sure how she came up with that but i talked her down off the ledge.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
The Toninator said:
the government has been going after those as ploys to make smoking cool to kids kind of like Joe Camel.
Well you really can not argue against Joe Camel's coolness. I mean, any camel that wears jeans, a leather jacket, and sunglasses in ok in my book.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I was 17. One of my high school teachers did everything she could to convince me to stop. Unfortunately, I didn't listen, and once she knew that I didn't listen to her, she said something to me that I will never forget.

"You won't listen to me, but in a few years you will regret the day you ever started smoking. When they day comes, remember that I did everything I could to help you."

Well, that day has come and gone, and she was right...

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
SkaredShtles said:
So - did anyone who is/was a smoker start when they were an adult? Has anyone known someone who started as an adult? Let's say for the sake of argument that adulthood is 18y.o.
Yes, my cousin started around 18 or 19.
It was actually around the time that his father just had a triple bypass.
These are my inlaws, and their side of the family has a bad problem with heart disease. So, after the father's bypass, he starts back smoking which just triples his risk for more problems in the future. His father also died fairly young from heart disease.
So, my cousin thought it was a great idea to start smoking. :dead:

I don't understand smoking at all, but I really don't get it with young people.
There is some kind of retardation going on with smoking.
It is like these people think the jury is still out.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Flashback: My 2nd job outta college was at a big newspaper where smoking was still allowed in the building. Everyone in the 16 person creative dept. smoked except one guy. He worked there for almost 20 years... Prolly died of cancer. The office walls were yellow and disgusting. Ah, the good 'ol days...

Mmmm, cancer.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
COmtbiker12 said:
It partly depends on what the situation is. If you're high or drunk, the first few times you smoke will give you a serious head rush - there's some dizziness, but it feels pretty good, especially while high. So, it's easy to do initially because, despite the nasty smoke taste and smell, there's serious incentive. Just like learning to drink - okay, so the alcohol doesn't taste so great at first but get a few drinks in and you forget that...

However, after a couple weeks or less of "recreational" smoking (that is, while you're inebriated), the feeling goes away and you're just left with this nagging desire to smoke.

It's bad. Really bad. I'll never go near another ciagrette - it just took that one day where I realized I wanted a ciagrette, but knew it wasn't going to feel good, just satisfy a craving...

Don't start. Don't even try one.

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
What is considered the typical smoker's consumption/day?
I have to admit that I smoke, but a pack will last me well over a week. Is 2 in a day too much?
Of course, when beer is involved that rate goes up.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i think it was bill maher or maybe jon stewart who said (in response to peter jenning's death)-

the tobacco industry: starts w/ slavery and ends w/ cancer.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
narlus said:
i think it was bill maher or maybe jon stewart who said (in response to peter jenning's death)-

the tobacco industry: starts w/ slavery and ends w/ cancer.
That was J.S. quipping in reference to a rider on the transportation bill which grants North Carolina $1.6 mil for a historical "Tobacco Trail".

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Spitfired said:
What is considered the typical smoker's consumption/day?
I have to admit that I smoke, but a pack will last me well over a week. Is 2 in a day too much?
Of course, when beer is involved that rate goes up.
No 2 in a day is OK, you get that much living in the city. Of course if you live in the city it's too much. ;) :thumb:

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
Not happy to admit it but I started when I was 12. I only smoke a few a day now but it's really hard to quit when all your friends still smoke.

On another note, has anyone ever seen an older(say beyond 40 yrs) good-looking smoker?

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
Never have smoked, never will. A lot of kids at my Highschool do though, its amazing what some kids do to try and be cool.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
started off and on around 14-15 because i hung out with some older dudes who convinced me it was good to smoke after that 'other' kind of smoke to help the buzz

started smoking regular at 16, senior year, and yes i remember the head rush it gave me.

what a fvcking dumbass i was...

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
SkaredShtles said:
I started when I was 19, in college. Smoked less than a pack every two weeks. In 1998 I moved in with a chain-smoker. It rubbed off on me and I got up to two packs a day. I quit the week before Sept. 11th with The Patch.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
That is what happened to me, but I never made it to two packs a day. More like 2 per week. Quitting is a bitch. I haven't bought a pack since January now, but I have had a few "momments of weakness". :nope: