Quantcast

Another Stupid Car Thread

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Decided that it isnt smart to finance so I'm now looking at 93 Cherokee in my area that has a 3" lift, new tires, is described as excellent condition and is $2100. That fits right into my budget and helps me and my parents so that we can only get liability on it. Just found the ad in the paper today and will be calling the guy tomorrow. Do many of you have any experience with the Cherokees as far as how many bikes you can fit in, what did you think of them, any potential problems that they are common to have, etc., it seems like it should be a fun car as well as being utilitarian without being a real speedy type thing that I'd get myself into trouble in. :p

BigHit-Maniac

Monkey
Jul 5, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
Except they love gas. They chew through gas like my dog goes through food.

MMMM ... crystal clear yumminess.

Cherokee's are good vehicles. Make sure it's the 4.0L I-6. That's the best for all around use, or if it's the V-8 .. that's a good engine too

-Matt

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
cherokees didn't come with a v8... no? only grand cherokees. given that's it's about the size of my pathfinder i'd say two bikes in the rear.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Buy it!!! The INLINE six of gen 1(classic) Cherokees are really good, aftermarket goodies as far as the eye can see... cheap. Mileage should be around 20 unless the motor is thrashed. First thing you do is put an O2 sensor in it. This is always the first thing to go and people don't replace them often enough. This gives it better MPG because the computer (very basic in that model) will have better guidelines to follow. Drive line is really bullitproof. It sounds like the major work is done (lift). Alot of them a wrecking yards so if you ding it you will have body parts for days.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
If it has a lift, it has probably been beaten. Lifts can also mess stuff up underneath, incl suspension and just about everything atttached to your steering. Good lifts replace all the stuff that would otherwise be broken. But that stuff would probably been busted a long time ago. Be suspect if you see a lot of new(ish) looking parts underneath. If the seller starts telling you about all the front-end work he just had done, be very suspect.