Quantcast

Another "What Fork?" Thread

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Yesterday at the trails my lowered '05 Marz Z1 was clunk clunking on every take-off. I took it all apart to get the lowers powdered earlier this year so putting it back together I did something wrong. I remember it took a while to get it stopped before.

Rather than farting around with getting that old Z1 figured out, I was hoping there might be some '09 product that's strong and simple.

Looking for:
- good for 220lb rider weight
- 20mm capable
- 18-18.5" axle to crown
- It will be ridden 95% of dj trails
- $350 ish price
- easy to work on/dial in
- firm and stiff but will give when I bump my nose on a landing.

A lowered Argyle 318 sounds pretty good, any bigger riders running it? X-Fusion? I think the Atomlab GI60 is having some production issues and is not available yet.

The f'n clunk is driving me nutso - can't get stylee at the trails with that noise. Any help is appreciated.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i think my manitou gold label 2 80mm fits your requirements... but they stopped making them for '09. lame !

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
I just ordered a Recon 351 u-turn as I need 3/8" fork mount for a Profile BMX hub for my Molly. I also run an Argyle 318 on my Mob. The Argyle has been amazing and I have no issues or complaints. The fork locks out when wanted and you can adjust on the fly for the needed squish.

If you need 20mm then the Argyle or Pike would do, but the Pike I believe is out of your price range. I chose the Recon because of the front hub and I think it will have a similar feel. Same Motion control minus the Floodgate but I can play with a few things to get it to feel the same.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Well, I'm more than happy with my Argyle 318. Even when I'm thinking of modifying it a little (putting a preload cap from a Tora, Recon, Revelation or something like that instead of the blind top cap on the left leg). It feels stiff, the Maxle is a great advantage when dismantling the bike for the trip to a spot, and you can dial the MoCo just to get an almost rigid fork at the transition, and a plush one at the reception of the jumps. I weight over 210 with my riding gear, and it doesn't flex or do any strange things when landing.

You can get one off ebay for under 350, I think.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Look around for a used fox float 36 R. They're the "lowest tier" of the 36 forks and you can lower them to any height with spacers.

Those argyles would be a good bet too. The steel stanchion idea just bugs me for some reason.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
cmc - I actually have an old Jumper in my shop but it has some hours and I was just thinking something new. I might throw it back on to see if I like it better than the Z1. I'm picky and swap sh1t around all the time.

Dirtbag and Slimshady - many thanks for the info on the Argyle. I've seen them on fleaBay for around $300 so it's in the price range - it's on the top of the list right now.

Stoked - yeah, the Kowa looks great and I've ridden Brad's lowered Marz and loved them. My Z1 is something I did myself so I might have missed a tuning procedure. If those things were a couple hund cheaper I'd be on it.

kidwoo - I'll keep my eye on a Fox too - I have a 36 Float Talas on my sussy bike and love it. Didn't know the Float R's could be lowered to any height.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Look around for a used fox float 36 R. They're the "lowest tier" of the 36 forks and you can lower them to any height with spacers.

Those argyles would be a good bet too. The steel stanchion idea just bugs me for some reason.
steel is real lol no the argyles are really nice but as far as i know only one you can lower is the 409 air version unless someone else knows a trick for the 318 to lower it. Please tell.
I bought an 08 marz 4x and regret it. maybe if i knew a way to lower it to 80mm i would like it better. I also have a pike with the extra heavy spring in it and i love it

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
steel is real lol no the argyles are really nice but as far as i know only one you can lower is the 409 air version unless someone else knows a trick for the 318 to lower it. Please tell.
When you buy a brand-new Argyle, you get a pair of spacers with it. You have to simply disassemble the fork, and put those spacers between the head of the push rod and the end of the (left) stanchion, and voilà, you have a lowered fork. You could even put a couple more spacers, and get a 70mm Argyle, as many folks outhere did.

The spacers can even work as preload adjusters, by simply putting them on top of the left leg push rod, instead of placing them below the head of it.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
RE: KOWA forks
I sent Don a PM with the info but wanted to let the fourm's know this as well .
The KOWA DJ forks have been ridden by Toff in the UK for the past few months now and his prototpye has been holing up well , Toff will be riding our production model at Thrashbike this summer so keep an eye out for him and these forks if your there !

In reguards to price : the retail kist is $550-$599
these are handmade in Osaka Japan at KOWA suspension main factory .
These are not some off the shelf import forks
Right now we have forks in stock and I'm willing to sell these to RM members for Shop cost wich is discounted from retail list Please PM me or Email me directly if you have any questions or are intrested in these new forks , they really are worth the extra $$$

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Fork looks interesting. Does it come in other drop out options besides 20mm? Whats the a2c? Sorry if you have the info on the site, but I didn't see it.

Last edited:

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Woo

Sorry about that , post edited !!!

Hey brad. Do us trailbuilders a favor and either take that pic or the location off that post? We're the ones that lose hard work when things get out of hand and landowners get pissed.

Bike shops have enough headaches around here with everyone coming into town asking about that stuff. More pics are not good.

I'm sure you understand.

Thanks man.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Fork looks interesting. Does it come in other drop out options besides 20mm? Whats the a2c? Sorry if you have the info on the site, but I didn't see it.
Here's the run down on the KOWA forks

Axle to crown - 480mm

Weight - 5.60 lbs , for the coil sprung version . Air spring "hop up " kit coming soon reduces weight by 1lb

20mm drops with Radial disk brake mount

Internals - Ajsutable rebound control , Hydrlic bottom out control , coil springs , oil damped . Full Kashima coated internal's for better small bump performance

Crown - 5 axis CNC machined crown pocketed to help save weight .

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
I liked the 318 the best out of all the sus forks I tried (z1, gold label, space) on my molly.

Why not go rigid?

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
RE: KOWA forks
I sent Don a PM with the info but wanted to let the fourm's know this as well .
The KOWA DJ forks have been ridden by Toff in the UK for the past few months now and his prototpye has been holing up well , Toff will be riding our production model at Thrashbike this summer so keep an eye out for him and these forks if your there !

In reguards to price : the retail kist is $550-$599
these are handmade in Osaka Japan at KOWA suspension main factory .
These are not some off the shelf import forks
Right now we have forks in stock and I'm willing to sell these to RM members for Shop cost wich is discounted from retail list Please PM me or Email me directly if you have any questions or are intrested in these new forks , they really are worth the extra $$$

pm sent

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I liked the 318 the best out of all the sus forks I tried (z1, gold label, space) on my molly.

Why not go rigid?

Thanks - the 318 is most likely the direction I'm going. The KOWA's look amazing and Brad's offering a great price, it's just a tic too tall for my setup.

If I went rigid, I'd feel like I should go with a straight cruiser. Plus I like having a bit of forgiveness.