Quantcast

another which bike thread M6 vs Shocker

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
something to consider comparing US made vs. TW made frames

most US made frames are 6xxx aluminium alloys (including Easton and Worth tubes), unless the bike co. has specifically imported a tubeset from TW, for domestic fabrication

most TW made frames are 7xxx aluminium alloys (apart from low end frames / bikes)

compare the properties of both these alloy groups, the 7xxx takes the win in every category including strength, toughness, fatigue life

frame made from 7075 will always be stronger / tougher than same frame made from 6061
Well considering the Shocker is made in Canada and the M6 is made in the US, how is this comparison pertinent?

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
something to consider comparing US made vs. TW made frames

most US made frames are 6xxx aluminium alloys (including Easton and Worth tubes), unless the bike co. has specifically imported a tubeset from TW, for domestic fabrication

most TW made frames are 7xxx aluminium alloys (apart from low end frames / bikes)

compare the properties of both these alloy groups, the 7xxx takes the win in every category including strength, toughness, fatigue life

frame made from 7075 will always be stronger / tougher than same frame made from 6061
Every category except elongation. The property that gives the biggest indication of fatigue life. Most Asian and cheaper frame manufacturers use 7005 because you only have to artificially age it post weld, not a full solution heat treat.

More numbers doesn't mean better.

Eastwood

Chimp
Jul 8, 2008
I would love to see proof of this. I have read/heard the exact opposite out of Intense's mouth and their press releases as well. FRO stands for "FOR RACE ONLY". "extra weight", hehehehe... don't know who told you that man, but their FRO frames were LIGHTER than their non-FRO counterparts. you make a bike for racing only because it is not designed to withstand daily abuse for multiple seasons.
I've spent eternity to find this :)
here you go
http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=3427605&postcount=3
that said by a person who actually makes Intense bikes

as for weight, Socom indeed was light, but M6 and 951 are not the lightest in their class