Quantcast

another "which car" thread (56k grab dinner, it's flooded)

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
no, not for me. my wrx is still serving its purpose :D

but my parents now are in need of a car. their previous ride, an acura CL, was totalled today. everyone is fine, so this actually presents a bit of an opportunity.

the old car, which was not green (thank the magic of teh photoshoppe):

cars that they probably wouldn't be interested in :rofl:

so now to the real question: what should they get?

criteria:

- 2 door or 4 door is acceptable
- used or new, but see the caveat below about availability
- must be fun to drive
- must be reliable enough for use as a daily driver
- must be stock
- hardtops preferred vs. convertibles for skin cancer purposes
- must not be a unicorn (ie, available in the u.s., not some 100-made deal)
- let's say $35k, and no stretching the budget.

i wonder what these run for on the used market...

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
N8 said:
I am really liking the new Avalon and Camrys...
and those are indeed reliable, sane cars. however, they just picked up a Prius so have the family-sedan corner covered.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
i guess that is an option. doesn't the civic si outperform the rsx, no?

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
Possibly, I havn't read to much about the new civics so I can't give you a definate answer. A civic might get better gas milage though, however I don't know for sure, that's just a guess.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
here's a list to give an idea of what i mean by "fun":

Audi tt
bmw z4
chevy cobalt ss
chevy corvette
chrysler 300c srt8
dodge charger srt8
ford mustang cobra
honda civic si
honda insight
honda s2000
infiniti g35
lexus is350
lotus elise
mazda mazdaspeed 6
mazda miata mx5
mazda rx8
mini cooper s jcw
mitsubishi lancer evolution
nissan 350z
pontiac gto
pontiac solstice
porsche boxster
saturn sky red line
subaru STI
subaru legacy 2.5gt
vw eos
vw gti

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
that is an option, yes. i drove one around for a few days as a loaner car, and it felt stable and smooth. and that gauge cluster is sweet. but somehow it lacks a spark...

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
BMW e30 (318is,325i, but avoid the eta models)

2 door or four
cheap
reliable
german
aftermarket scene is rather large
rwd

If you have up to 35k look at early m3's. An e30 m3 is probably one of the best driving cars ever built (imho) and the e36s aren't anything to be pushed aside either.

VW r32s are another good option for a fun to drive car.

I'd go the bimmer route, but I'm biased.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Lexus IS350.

I'm surprised how quiet how quiet my brothers 13 year old SC300 is compared to my 13 year old Passat Wagon.

The ride height on the new GTI's is unacceptable. The EOS, I have a feeling when something goes wrong with the hard top, it won't be an easy fix. That, and the rear end will always look like it sits up to high.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
narlus, used is definitely part of the plan.

dan, my parents are not interested in the aftermarket scene at all. and E30 M3s will all be clapped out by now and the other E30s are frankly not interesting. E36s are getting too old, too. and the R32 is a pig imo, albeit with a nice cow-swathed interior.

lexus IS350 is an option, although would require going new and that'd push the budget. also lexus seems to have had an eye on gadgets and electronic nannies rather than the driving experience for some years. frankly the IS300 would be more attractive for its direct steering and wonderfully low cowl were it not for its somewhat gutless nature.

current front runner: 2001-2003 Corvette Z06. domestic quality interior, but loads of torque, a great suspension, and is highly competitive in the Super Stock class at autox... blue book is $25-35k for that range of years. any thoughts on this?

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
subaru legacy 2.5gt
I was checking one out at the Subaru dealership... if I had the money that would be my top choice, but I'm kind of Subaru biased; it's just about everything I want in a car.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
kinghami3 said:
subaru legacy 2.5gt
I was checking one out at the Subaru dealership... if I had the money that would be my top choice, but I'm kind of Subaru biased; it's just about everything I want in a car.
have you driven one? in stock form they're a very nice sporty family sedan, but they just feel long, both in the long-legged sense (not a sprinter) and in long of wheelbase...

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
ah, but not really fun. and they just picked up a prius :thumb: . two in the garage would be a mite excessive

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
E90 325i sport. You can get one brand new for the price you mentioned and they are pretty dang quick. 6.7 0-60 and 155 top speed isn't half bad.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I have a Volvo S40 T5 AWD. Fast, fun, comfortable, and within budget.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
blue said:
ELISE!

There is no alternative.
Actually there are about 50 alternatives, they handle great, but aren't very fast. I was driving a '98 911 Carrara S at a recent track day, and while the Elise was quicker through the corners, the 911 was so much faster on the straights that it ate the Elise alive. Lotus claims the Elise ca keep up with a 360 Chalenge Stradale, or a GT3, no way it even comes close on a real track.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
maxyedor said:
Actually there are about 50 alternatives, they handle great, but aren't very fast. I was driving a '98 911 Carrara S at a recent track day, and while the Elise was quicker through the corners, the 911 was so much faster on the straights that it ate the Elise alive. Lotus claims the Elise ca keep up with a 360 Chalenge Stradale, or a GT3, no way it even comes close on a real track.
depends heavily on the driver... the elise is appealing but would be hard to find for $35k practically imo and requires driving like a madman.

ferrari 308 is cool, but for what purpose beyond being an affordable ferrari? :think:

A4? blech, no thanks. no vw auto group products until they learn how to make cars that have both taillights working.

190E 2.3 Evo? heh, great car in gran turismo 4, but finding a clean example now 20 years later...

E90 325 is an appealing car, yes, and also would be competitive in its own autox class (not super stock, of course). hmmmm :thumb:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Toshi,

My dad picked up a M-roadster (looks like the z-3 but with a 6 cyl M series motor in it)

I have to tell you although I found fault with him buying it, it brings him great joy, and the few times I have driven it, I can not tell you how damn fast this car is! it will outperform most of the cars that look like it (4cyl. z-3 & z-4)

Fun to drive YES
>$35K you can probably find one for that price.
good looking car YES
Fit and finish on them is spot on for their price!

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i assume your folks are 50+...
volvo s80 t6?
bmw 330ci?
mercedes clk? what about an cl? a used one might be around 35K in the US. they are pretty sweet.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Toshi said:
current front runner: 2001-2003 Corvette Z06. domestic quality interior, but loads of torque, a great suspension, and is highly competitive in the Super Stock class at autox... blue book is $25-35k for that range of years. any thoughts on this?
i think it sounds good...pretty hard to beat the performance/$ ratio of the Z06...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
$35k for a used vehicle seems kind of odd to me. but we're likely not in the same tax bracket.

Mazdaspeed6s are going for super cheap right now, as they are selling like ass. same with the RX-8s.

G35 (350Z) or Cobra would be my choice.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
depends heavily on the driver... the elise is appealing but would be hard to find for $35k practically imo and requires driving like a madman.

ferrari 308 is cool, but for what purpose beyond being an affordable ferrari? :think:

A4? blech, no thanks. no vw auto group products until they learn how to make cars that have both taillights working.

190E 2.3 Evo? heh, great car in gran turismo 4, but finding a clean example now 20 years later...

E90 325 is an appealing car, yes, and also would be competitive in its own autox class (not super stock, of course). hmmmm :thumb:
The guy driving the Elise was the Nevada Porrsche Club instructor, I was driving the 911, it was defineitly not the driver.

Are you kidding about the 308? It would help your dad pull more chicks, that's the purpose.

A4s just blow relays, it's a $5 fix once a month.

190e 2.3 16Vs can still be found with sub 70k miles, and I had one that I put over 325k on and it still felt solid, way better than a POS Corvette. I just drove an 06 Vette with 1200 miles and it felt like it was about to fall apart.

Screw the E90, get an E30

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
cts-v would be fun, but the z06 has much more tire and less weight. that tercel has the weight thing going for it, i guess, but not much else. hippy! heh

re 308, my parents are still happily married last i checked, and my dad has no pretension of making a cameo on miami vice... 70k miles is about 50k more than i'm aiming for, and i still think the e30 is clapped out :D . there was a turboed e30 m3 on big kumho v710s that whooped on me in street mod today, but it was ghetto.

s52 or 54 m coupe would be nice. "penis on wheels" or "flying boot" but quick... i also dig the rx8 and g35. no, parts, the B4 is jdm only.

please forgive this choppy post, as it's basically from a cell phone..

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
i agree, it would be a fabulous driveway should i ever drive home again. importing cars here is nigh impossible, however

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I like my mazda6. If you're looking at the speed6, I'm sure it's hot. However, the speed6 is manual only and I think the manual/clutch in mine kinda sucks. They put all thier engineering into the auto (which is a nice 6sp)
For 30k, a loaded 6 hatch isn't a bad car. Plus, nobody wants to buy them so you can get a very good deal.