Quantcast

Anti-Hype and the iPod

nato

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Chicago
So I'm all about anti-hype. Anything that is a little too hyped up, I tend to stay clear. So heres the dillema... I NEVER would purchase an iPod and waste all of my well earned prostitution money but recently my father won a raffle at a charity banquet for an iPod Nano. He had no need for it since he already had an iPod and of course everyone else that he knows in the world has one or doesn't know how to turn on their computer so finally he decided to give it to me. So now I have a freaking iPod Nano, I feel like a looser hypocrit and I cant sell the damn thing cause it was a present!:hot: :oink: :hot:

Dunno, first person to post gets it?
Nate

BEFORE YOU FLIP OUT read this... then flip out.

Of course I'm concerned with image, I like to dress in a manner that I personally like... not what the world likes. What I like and what the world likes may be in some cases, the same. In this instance this is not the case. I have an iBook G4 and love it, Apple is not evil nor is the image. What is pure crap is the idea of the iPod itself that I have never liked. I don't like the fact that when I see a buddy on school campus and when I call out his name, he cant hear me, or the idea that I am unable to have random conversations with people on the bus because they are too busy distracted listening to blaring music. What the iPod is doing is turning everyone into silent drones that are drawn into their own music and overall, themselves. It's not completely a bad thing but personally there are more negatives than positives.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You're whining because you just got a free mp3 player.
Free meaning free. Your choice to be embarrassed by the brand name or creating some sort of "sold out yo" feelings within yourself really only prove that you are in fact, concerned with image.

Just use it.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
If you feel bad about selling it, then you can't very well feel bad about using it now can you? Besides they're really cool if you're into listening to music. But if you're really troubled about this...

Regifting is also unacceptable I suppose. How bout I give 20 bucks to charity in your name and then you give it to me. It would be like a sort of raffle of your own. Everybody wins.

Called it! Stamped it! Throw away the key!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Or if it's really the image thing, you could hollow out an old walkman and disguise the iPod with it...

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
kidwoo said:
Free meaning free. Your choice to be embarrassed by the brand name or creating some sort of "sold out yo" feelings within yourself really only prove that you are in fact, concerned with image.

Just use it.
This reminds me of that "Tool" song where that kid was telling the band they were "bowing down to the man" as he stood there in his Vans, Levis, Beastie T, drinking a coke.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I had a similiar dilemma. I wanted some kind of Mp3 player, but I wanted to avoid the Ipod hype. After doing some research, I realized the Ipod and Itunes are pretty much the top of the line. More importantly for me, I also learned than most of the other Mp3 players were using Microsoft software.

While Apple might rule the music player business, MS is the Evil Empire, and Apple is just Alderaan.

But being cool or trendy never factored into my thinking. If you like music, you'll like having a music player of any type, especially a free one.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
nato said:
So I'm all about anti-hype. Anything that is a little too hyped up, I tend to stay clear. So heres the dillema... I NEVER would purchase an iPod and waste all of my well earned prostitution money but recently my father won a raffle at a charity banquet for an iPod Nano. He had no need for it since he already had an iPod and of course everyone else that he knows in the world has one or doesn't know how to turn on their computer so finally he decided to give it to me. So now I have a freaking iPod Nano, I feel like a looser hypo. and I cant sell the damn thing cause it was a present!:hot: :oink: :hot:

Dunno, first person to post gets it?
Nate

.... or NOT. :rofl:
So I guess the question is, are you selling out to the pop-culture crowd, or are you selling out to the anti-pop culture crowd? Sell out.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
nato said:
So I'm all about anti-hype. Anything that is a little too hyped up, I tend to stay clear. So heres the dillema... I NEVER would purchase an iPod and waste all of my well earned prostitution money but recently my father won a raffle at a charity banquet for an iPod Nano. He had no need for it since he already had an iPod and of course everyone else that he knows in the world has one or doesn't know how to turn on their computer so finally he decided to give it to me. So now I have a freaking iPod Nano, I feel like a looser hypo. and I cant sell the damn thing cause it was a present!:hot: :oink: :hot:
I love the irony of someone that is so concerned about image, that they take this anti-image thing to the extreme. If you really were anti-hype you just wouldn't give a **** and you'd use whatever you happened to have.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Jeremy R said:
This reminds me of that "Tool" song where that kid was telling the band they were "bowing down to the man" as he stood there in his Vans, Levis, Beastie T, drinking a coke.
LOL! That's exactly what I thought of when I read his post!

"I sold out before you ever even heard my name........"

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
kidwoo said:
The dork metaphor only further substantiated by................
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Hey, I thought I was being witty. How about:

MS is the United States, and Apple is Grenada, circa 1983?.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
kidwoo said:
Your choice to be embarrassed by the brand name or creating some sort of "sold out yo" feelings within yourself really only prove that you are in fact, concerned with image.
:stupid:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
sanjuro said:
I had a similiar dilemma. I wanted some kind of Mp3 player, but I wanted to avoid the Ipod hype. After doing some research, I realized the Ipod and Itunes are pretty much the top of the line. More importantly for me, I also learned than most of the other Mp3 players were using Microsoft software.
Question: If I happened to buy an ipod can I transfer my gigs and gigs of existing mp3 files or do I have to buy from iTunes?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
MMike said:
How 'bout, MS is a crate of watermelons, and Apple is a pile of staplers, in 1872?
By perchance, do you think Microsoft and Apple do not have an adversial relationship?

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Ciaran said:
Question: If I happened to buy an ipod can I transfer my gigs and gigs of existing mp3 files or do I have to buy from iTunes?
Yes, mp3s will work fine. However, the only DRM music that will work is the stuff you get from iTunes.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
kinghami3 said:
Yes, mp3s will work fine. However, the only DRM music that will work is the stuff you get from iTunes.
I'll stick to using my laptop as my mp3 player. It's not so bad... a bit awkward whe jogging though. :D :rofl:

Seriously though, I figure I have to get an mp3 player eventually, might as well do it soon. Don't think it will be an apple though. I like plain and basic.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Ciaran said:
I'll stick to using my laptop as my mp3 player. It's not so bad... a bit awkward whe jogging though. :D :rofl:

Seriously though, I figure I have to get an mp3 player eventually, might as well do it soon. Don't think it will be an apple though. I like plain and basic.
plain and basic?

nato

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Chicago
kidwoo said:

Just use it.
Of course I'm concerned with image, I like to dress in a manner that I personally like... not what the world likes. What I like and what the world likes may be in some cases, the same. In this instance this is not the case. I have an iBook G4 and love it, Apple is not evil nor is the image. What is pure crap is the idea of the iPod itself that I have never liked. I don't like the fact that when I see a buddy on school campus and when I call out his name, he cant hear me, or the idea that I am unable to have random conversations with people on the bus because they are too busy distracted listening to blaring music. What the iPod is doing is turning everyone into silent drones that are drawn into their own music and overall, themselves. It's not completely a bad thing but personally there are more negatives than positives.

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
nato said:
....... What is pure crap is the idea of the iPod itself that I have never liked. I don't like the fact that when I see a buddy on school campus and when I call out his name, he cant hear me, or the idea that I am unable to have random conversations with people on the bus because they are too busy distracted listening to blaring music. What the iPod is doing is turning everyone into silent drones that are drawn into their own music and overall, themselves......
Not exactly an issue specific to just the IPOD...

nato

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Chicago
PonySoldier said:
Not exactly an issue specific to just the IPOD...
you are correct sir... its not like CD players wern't doing it before its just the idea of going after the big guy... you think fast food, you blame Mc Donalds... of course.

Nate

J

JRB

It's like 1984. Next thing you know, there'll be some sort of chip in your head. I am content with mp3 players that use AAA batteries. I don't know what this all means except I think that people that use Nanos are pussies. Pvssy. :D

J

JRB

nato said:
It was from a show, I re-read the post and then realized how flagrantly gay it was ... apologies?
Don't apologize to that f'n hippie.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Sounds to me like someone's trying a little too hard to rage against the machine. The fact is, you got the iPod for free and if you use it your reasoning won't be superficial. You won't be wearing the thing around town to "look cool" or "be trendy." So who gives what other people think! Isn't that the stance you're trying to take anyhow?

I say load the thing with your punk music and go on your way knowing deep down that you're not the same as the Abercrombie-clad dillhole with the iPod sitting next to you.