Anti-war Protesters Target Wounded At Army Hospital

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
ANTI-WAR PROTESTERS TARGET WOUNDED AT ARMY HOSPITAL
Wed Aug 2005 24 21:20:05 ET
Drudgereport.com

Anti-war protestors besieged wounded and disabled soldiers at Walter Reed Hospital in Washington, D.C, a new web report will claim!

CNSNews.com is planning to run an expose on Thursday featuring interviews with both protestors and veterans, as well as shots of protest signs with slogans like “Maimed for a Lie.”

The conservative outlet will post video evidence of the wounded veterans being taunted by protesters, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

Developing late...

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
If it's true, it's sick and totally uncalled for. People with a problem with the war need to direct their attention on the people who matter, not the poor guy who was shipped off to Iraq and injured. These guys have suffered enough.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
That my friends, is what you call SPIN.

No one, not even the commy libs, would go torment wounded soldiers for being involved in a war.

They were going to protest the war, not the soldiers... that is, they are acting under the assumption that some of these soldiers might be a little angry about the war and are hoping to garner SUPPORT FROM THE SOLDIERS for their cause.

Now you may also not agree with the above tactics, which is fine, but for ****'s sake, read these things a little more critically. It's an N8 post, ferchrissakes. You can operate under the assumption that it's an imaginary situation created out of thin air to make anti-war/left-wing/democrats look like idiots. You'd think there are enough real examples of people making themselves look like idiots that we wouldn't need fabricated ones, but you'd be wrong...

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
ohio said:
That my friends, is what you call SPIN.

No one, not even the commy libs, would go torment wounded soldiers for being involved in a war.
SPIN? You're doing a pretty good job of that in this post.

Of course there are protesters that would and of course there have been protesters that have. Who are you to say that the wounded are not being tormented because of these protests? There is already been a thread about the PTSD that many vets are feeling. How much worse do you think it is for a guy that is in Walter Reed? Is this really helping them work thru those emotions?

Did you actually read the article?

Kevin Pannell, who was recently treated at Walter Reed and had both legs amputated after an ambush grenade attack near Baghdad in 2004, considers the presence of the anti-war protesters in front of the hospital "distasteful."

When he was a patient at the hospital, Pannell said he initially tried to ignore the anti-war activists camped out in front of Walter Reed, until witnessing something that enraged him.

"We went by there one day and I drove by and [the anti-war protesters] had a bunch of flag-draped coffins laid out on the sidewalk. That, I thought, was probably the most distasteful thing I had ever seen. Ever," Pannell, a member of the Army's First Cavalry Division, told Cybercast News Service.

"You know that 95 percent of the guys in the hospital bed lost guys whenever they got hurt and survivors' guilt is the worst thing you can deal with," Pannell said, adding that other veterans recovering from wounds at Walter Reed share his resentment for the anti-war protesters.

"We don't like them and we don't like the fact that they can hang their signs and stuff on the fence at Walter Reed," he said. "[The wounded veterans] are there to recuperate. Once they get out in the real world, then they can start seeing that stuff (anti-war protests). I mean Walter Reed is a sheltered environment and it needs to stay that way."
Contrast this protest with Sheehan's. Which one is likely to gain more sympathy from the American public? These are the protests that drive middle America away from the cause.

ohio said:
They were going to protest the war, not the soldiers... that is, they are acting under the assumption that some of these soldiers might be a little angry about the war and are hoping to garner SUPPORT FROM THE SOLDIERS for their cause.
You honestly believe that they are operating under that assumption? Maybe in fantasy land. Come on in the article the guy specifically says that he is here to draw media attention to these wounded. Maybe these guys don't want attention drawn to them. Again maybe they are trying deal with issues and emotions and having to see that is potentially not helping. But maybe they figure they can get these guys when they are emotional basketcases and get them to agree with them before they can sort the feelings out in their own heads. That seems like a noble tactic to me.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
DRB said:

Of course there are protesters that would and of course there have been protesters that have. Who are you to say that the wounded are not being tormented because of these protests? There is already been a thread about the PTSD that many vets are feeling. How much worse do you think it is for a guy that is in Walter Reed? Is this really helping them work thru those emotions?

Did you actually read the article?

Contrast this protest with Sheehan's. Which one is likely to gain more sympathy from the American public? These are the protests that drive middle America away from the cause.

You honestly believe that they are operating under that assumption? Maybe in fantasy land. Come on in the article the guy specifically says that he is here to draw media attention to these wounded. Maybe these guys don't want attention drawn to them. Again maybe they are trying deal with issues and emotions and having to see that is potentially not helping. But maybe they figure they can get these guys when they are emotional basketcases and get them to agree with them before they can sort the feelings out in their own heads. That seems like a noble tactic to me.

touche :thumb:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
DRB said:

Yup, I read it. I didn't say I agreed with or supported the protestors. What I said is that they are not going there for the purpose of vilifying soldiers, or protesting against soldiers. Do I think this is helping soldiers work through emotions? Absolutely not. But I think it's a well-intentioned effort with an idiotic execution. The results of their efforts may be (will likely be?) torment. But that is not their intention.

And yes, I honestly believe that these people think they will garner support from soldiers. I don't personally believe that they will, but I think that is what is going through their heads.

It's not necessarily a rosey picture, but it's a very different one than is painted in that article. These people aren't evil, just stupid/misguided.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
ohio said:
But I think it's a well-intentioned effort with an idiotic execution. The results of their efforts may be (will likely be?) torment. But that is not their intention.

And yes, I honestly believe that these people think they will garner support from soldiers. I don't personally believe that they will, but I think that is what is going through their heads.

It's not necessarily a rosey picture, but it's a very different one than is painted in that article. These people aren't evil, just stupid/misguided.

So, what you are saying is, liberals are just plain stupid then... gottcha!

:thumb:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
ohio said:
Yup, I read it. I didn't say I agreed with or supported the protestors. What I said is that they are not going there for the purpose of vilifying soldiers, or protesting against soldiers. Do I think this is helping soldiers work through emotions? Absolutely not. But I think it's a well-intentioned effort with an idiotic execution. The results of their efforts may be (will likely be?) torment. But that is not their intention.

Where are they painted as evil? The article, while going off a couple of tangents, still presents a fairly balanced account. That balance is shocking considering the drivel usually found on that site.

Intent is not some all cleansing thing. Just because you didn't mean it doesn't mean you aren't responsible for it. Nor does intent make you immune from being painted with the brush of the outcome. And stupidity is never an excuse.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
I've been thinking about volunteering as an angel at Walter Reed.

Every other day, wounded soldiers are arriving there...and sometimes their families can't get to them immediately...Well, guess what? I live 30 mins away.

What's worse than being hurt? Being hurt and alone.

I am not a supporter of the war...and I am finding it hard to find a group of people that volunteer there that don't seem to be promoting their own cause... Patriotism vs. Hippies...

I just want to go and spend some time with the guys, bring them books/magazines..something to occupy their time.... I wish people would leave their politics out of the hospital bays. It's a place for healing.

If you guys know of anyone there...PM me and I'll go visit them.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
MudGrrl said:

Every other day, wounded soldiers are arriving there...and sometimes their families can't get to them immediately...Well, guess what? I live 30 mins away.

I am not a supporter of the war...and I am finding it hard to find a group of people that volunteer there that don't seem to be promoting their own cause... Patriotism vs. Hippies...

I just want to go and spend some time with the guys, bring them books/magazines..something to occupy their time.... I wish people would leave their politics out of the hospital bays. It's a place for healing.

I've retyped this about a 1000 times, I just can't find the words. You have reaffirmed my faith in humanity today. Thanks.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
DRB said:
Where are they painted as evil?
Beseiged. Taunted. These words point to a malicious intent that simply does not exist.

DRB said:
Intent is not some all cleansing thing. Just because you didn't mean it doesn't mean you aren't responsible for it. Nor does intent make you immune from being painted with the brush of the outcome. And stupidity is never an excuse.
Where did I ever excuse these people? Where did I grant them immunity? I simply pointed out that they are being misportrayed, and that the situation is NOT what it was made out to be. In this case the discrepancy between portrayed and actual goes beyond just intent, and has quite an effect on the outcome. It is very different to be frustrated and upset by people who simply don't understand but think they are coming to your aid, than it is to be maliciously tormented by people who view you as evil.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
MudGrrl said:

I'm sure your efforts would be welcome. :thumb: I spent a month in Oak Knoll, after being injured in an accident and it was pretty lonely. I can only imagine how bad guys coming back from Iraq, badly injured, possibly having lost friends must feel. :( Be prepared though, it might be rougher on you than you expect.

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
Reactor...

I'm not expecting rainbows and roses. :thumb:

I was in the military, and I do know how the chain of command deals with people in regards to counseling and rehabilitation. I can't say that my personal experiences in counseling (I experienced a rather traumatic series of events) was stellar. It's like they were pushing their own agenda, and just going through the assigned checklists. I'm not a friggin F-16 getting ready for take off.

On one particularly bad day, what really picked me up was riding in the General's hard car. We took it to get it washed. It was sunny, and I remember walking through the puddles. It was a semblance of normal. I wasn't focusing on what was wrong. I didn't have anyone asking me if I felt I was a danger to others. I didn't have anyone recommending that I get assigned 'special duties'..(read: take her off post, stick her somewhere else, which ends up being someplace where everyone asks what's wrong).

I figure that they just want to talk about something else. Home. Family. Friends. Books. Music. Sports. Jokes.

I did, btw, get an honorable discharge...just in case anyone thinks that I got kicked out for being a nutcase.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
MudGrrl,

I'm sure you'll do fine :thumb: , and they'll be glad just to have someone who isn't trapped in the hospital to talk to. Anything that's a diversion would be appreciated, even old Mountian bike magazines. The recreational opportunities in most military hospitals are pretty limited, especially if you're badly injured.

I can't do it. I've seen too many people hurt and injured, and I'm having a tough time since receiving a head injury recently in an accident. It's affected my ability to cope with strong emotions, and I don't think I could take it. Again Kudos to you :thumb: . I'm a vet and strongly against the war, but not fellow brother and sisters in arms who followed orders and did their jobs.

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
Ok.

I did go to Walter Reed on Saturday.

I wasn't able to see anyone...something about rules and visitors....for some odd reason they don't want strangers running amok through the wards. :nope: ;)

I dropped off a bunch of books and magazines for them.
I got a bunch of best sellers and classics from the local Barnes and Noble.
And.........*sigh*.... I let them have my very beloved Lance Armstrong book (Not about the Bike). I figure they could use it more than I can.

Next time I go...I'm gonna make an appointment, so to speak. That way, they don't think I'm some nut running amok through the wards.

:D

And....if anyone knows anyone in there....PLEASE pm me and I'll visit with them. I'll make 'runs' for them, get them what they need..music, books, mags, socks, ...whatever they need.

Ok, that's it for now...