Quantcast

Antique Pocketwatches (and other cool timepieces)

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
So after seeing all the neat old watches a bunch of us have in the GMT today, I thought it would be a cool thread. Seems like a few of us have non-working watches, I'll post the link to the repair guy I found... hopefully @Nick can post up some of his resources as well.

So here's mine...

My dad just gave me his grandfather's pocket watch that he used while working on the railroads before WWI. Serial number search indicates this thing was made in 1910... it's a gold Elgin with no flippy face cover. It seems to work really well, so long as it's level and face-down. Gotta find a good watch mechanic and have it checked out. It's super neat.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Couple of links:

You can look up the watch serial number on the Pocket Watch Database and find out manufacturer details.
This is the guy that my good friend Michael went to high school with:

https://www.tbtwatchservice.com/

Said friend has had Jason (TBT guy) work on some of his antique watches with great success. I don't think there's a "hook up" available, but the guy does outstanding work i.e. he's unlikely to fuck it up.
Who else has a cool old watch? Or even a cool new watch?

@Pesqueeb @jonKranked @Nick @StiHacka @Acadian

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hmmm...I used to have a train watch but lost it in my parent's move. Not sure where it is now.

I have always wanted a Waltham, WWI era trench watch, as I think the history is super cool, but I'm not sure I want a 52mm timepiece on my wrist with a 15mm leather strap.

I ended up picking up a Waltham ladies watch not too long ago in a drunk ebay purchase, thinking it might look handsome on my wrist, but nah- it's too slender (ie a ladies' watch).

I'll have to take a photo of my collection. I have about 10 watches, all under $200, that I usually wear depending on outfit and mood...but I got a Galaxy watch recently to track sleep and steps, and I'm rather enamored.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
My Hamilton isn't special, I think I bought it when I needed some new toy to lift me out of a depression a couple years ago. I have a bunch of new mechanical watches from microbrands but they are not really that interesting.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
repost from yesterday's GMT. I'm gonna see if i can decipher the serial number and pull up some info on it. i also remembered that i have the pocket watch that belonged to my great uncle (the one who I learned after his passing was part of the Normandy invasion). That's a cool one because it winds with a key.

Here's my watch. Inscription is 1912. My grandfather (maternal) was born 1919 so this belonged to my great grandfather.
View attachment 134979 View attachment 134980 View attachment 134977 View attachment 134978

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
So after seeing all the neat old watches a bunch of us have in the GMT today, I thought it would be a cool thread. Seems like a few of us have non-working watches, I'll post the link to the repair guy I found... hopefully @Nick can post up some of his resources as well.

So here's mine...

My dad just gave me his grandfather's pocket watch that he used while working on the railroads before WWI. Serial number search indicates this thing was made in 1910... it's a gold Elgin with no flippy face cover. It seems to work really well, so long as it's level and face-down. Gotta find a good watch mechanic and have it checked out. It's super neat.

Probably just needs cleaned. Sometimes dry heat will reduce the stiction of old oil.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Probably just needs cleaned. Sometimes dry heat will reduce the stiction of old oil.
I thought maybe, but when I turn it sideways with my ear up to it I can hear (and feel) something moving around in there. The TBT guy said that most likely it has a broken lower pivot on the balance. Apparently shock protection did not start to come into widespread use until the 50's, and that is a pretty common repair.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
thumbnail_IMG_4416.jpg

Heres my collection, a bit dusty i know but they are all good watches. Make offers?

Thought i would make some sort of art out of them. There are a couple that are a bit better with clear glass i got in another cabinet. Thought i could carry em with sand in them and maybe a dead beetle. In anycase i got my dads rolex and one he bought me.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I got my mom one of these last year and today she told me she gave it to her sister, surely she could have given her the Timex instead?
She does really like her Timex I guess.
1661677739918.png

Mum gave me a Dalvey St Elmo's Fire pocket watch maybe 20yrs back, that's probably dead now because I didn't take the battery out, it lit up like a Timex. She did get me a watch book last Christmas which was pretty rad, was much more interesting than I expected.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
This is the guy that my good friend Michael went to high school with:

https://www.tbtwatchservice.com/

Said friend has had Jason (TBT guy) work on some of his antique watches with great success. I don't think there's a "hook up" available, but the guy does outstanding work i.e. he's unlikely to fuck it up.
Hey @Full Trucker, any word on what happened to this guy? Link is dead. Still would like to have my pocket watch fixed, still don't think there is any place here in the springs that can do it/is trustworthy.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Hey @Full Trucker, any word on what happened to this guy? Link is dead. Still would like to have my pocket watch fixed, still don't think there is any place here in the springs that can do it/is trustworthy.
I have no idea, I exchanged a few emails with him a long time ago but haven’t followed up. I’ll try and remember to do that soon.