Quantcast

ANWR and why the Oil Companies don't Care.

Discussion in 'Politics & World News' started by DRB, Nov 10, 2005.

1. DRB

DRB unemployed bum

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Let's see if any of y'all are more than sound bite environmentalists.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. fluff

fluff Monkey Turbo

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    Beats me. What's ANWR?

3. kidwoo

kidwoo Celebrating No-Pants Day

Rep/Likes:
    158 / 1,492
    Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

It's a spot in Alaska that some USGS scouting was done in a while back and they found some oil pockets. Some companies want to drill there (which under the refuge status is illegal) while others have claimed there's not enough there to warrant developing wells.

4. Westy

Westy the teste

Rep/Likes:
    437 / 2,773
    They make larger profits when supply is lower and it would require large capitol investments to be able to get oil out of AWNR?

5. kidwoo

Rep/Likes:
    158 / 1,492
    Uh........little more to work with?

.......what are you after exactly?

6. narlus

narlus Eastcoast Softcore
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    16 / 21
    to quote burly shirly:

"i'm alaska, drill me".

regardless of his POV, i still think his posts are funny most of the time.

7. fluff

fluff Monkey Turbo

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    Prolly a loophole that let's 'em drill from hovering platforms or summat

8. N8 v2.0

N8 v2.0 Not the sharpest tool in the shed

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 149
    Drill it... and pump it dry.

9. MTB_Rob_NC

MTB_Rob_NC What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    actually it looks like it lost steam again (thankfully).

I wouldnt be surprised if they threw Alaska back in there and it wouldnt be such an issue(as in it would have stayed in the bill). I guess FL being a swing state has "some" advantages.

10. Changleen

Changleen Paranoid Member

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 4
    Can we leave one part of our planet alone? (is that what you were after DRB?)

11. DRB

DRB unemployed bum

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    There is a lot of oil there. It would be pretty easy to get to. At current oil prices, it would be very profitable. And in this case, no means no. There aren't any loopholes that would allow any drilling or invasive exploration.

I figured the sound bite thing might be a give away.

The thing that is happening while everyone is fighting over ANWR, is the BLM is slowly but surely leasing off the rest of the Alaskan coastline, including many areas that the great environmental Satan, James Watts put off limits. These were areas within the NPR-A that had been deemed environmentally sensitive but the protection wasn't formalized like ANWR. These areas are more than twice the size of the areas that would be opened up in ANWR. Additionally, there aren't any special protections or requirements being put in place like there would be in ANWR.

So while hardcore environmentalists saw this and have been trying to bring attention to it the sound biters have been screaming ANWR drowning out the real problem.

And oil companies sat back and laughed at the environmentalists again.

12. kidwoo

Rep/Likes:
    158 / 1,492
    Got any linky links to more info?

I hadn't heard much about it..........which makes sense with it being the legal and all.

Still sucks. Alaskans get nice checks every year from the pipeline so I don't suspect there would be much opposition to non-protected lands getting drilled.

13. N8 v2.0

N8 v2.0 Not the sharpest tool in the shed

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 149
  14. Echo

Echo crooked smile

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 1
    best misspelling ever :D

15. DRB

DRB unemployed bum

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    The state of Alaska is the biggest contributor to the lobbying efforts to open ANWR and 75% of the state is for the exploration of ANWR.

The Alaskan DNR and Fish and Wildlife have actually been against a number of the moves by the BLM in that they have identified many of these areas as more sensitive and more important than the stuff within ANWR. But see this is an example of outsiders telling the Alaskans what's good for them. A specific example of this is Teshekpuk Lake. Another is Yukon Flats.

As for links, do your own homework. Its not difficult to find.

16. kidwoo

Rep/Likes:
    158 / 1,492
    Thanks sweetie.

Here's one.

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/1213-03.htm

Sounds like fair game.

I'm not sure what you're trying to elicit here but drilling in a place as unique and pristine in alaska still sucks. If they found gigantic veins of platinum running underneath of half dome in yosemite I would voice opposition to goin n' gitten 'er.

Which kind of touches on an interesting point I think you're trying to make. National Wildlife Refuges aren't soley state controlled land (hence the N word) and are in fact subject to national government. They can toss away state lands all they want with no influence from any sort of national consensus.........so maybe that's why it's not making the news?

17. LordOpie

LordOpie MOTHER HEN

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    excellent :devil:

18. LordOpie

LordOpie MOTHER HEN

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I'd say the Alaskan govt should fight to protec tthose lands too, but they're too busy getting a couple of $200mil bridges that aren't needed.

19. DRB

DRB unemployed bum

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    No you still aren't getting it. Specific lands within NPR-A are much more important than ANWR and in the past the DOI, BLM and Alaskan officials viewed it as such. Even establishing areas of protection within them. BUT while everyone was focused on ANWR, these specific areas were basically abolished by BLM and were either leased or will be leased in the very near future. Additionally, while ANWR drilling would live by unprecedented regulations, the regulations for these areas are being relaxed beyond even what the rest of the developed areas on the North Slope already are held to.

My point is that ANWR is ugly proof of the sound bite mentality of the majority of people have today. They are satisfied with 15 second sound bites without looking at the big picture. Even you went no further than the first link you found and then no farther in that then the third sentence before you went "OK".

AND nothing within the NPR-A or ANWR or any of the northern coast of Alaska are under any real sort of state control. So its all National, hence the N in NPR-A.

And Opie, the state of Alaska (minus the congressional delegation) is fighting this but as usual NO one is listening.

20. kidwoo

Rep/Likes:
    158 / 1,492
    No I read the whole article. I have no idea what a "national petroleum reserve" falls under as far as jurisdiction other than what that article says so I can't really comment on it that's why I had a question mark in my previous post. But I said it sucks. Which it does.

You're kind of doing a damn true on this one. You're trying to get a canned response out of someone to poke fun at them and I already told you, before you brought it up, I'd heard little to nothing about it. I've also made the blanket statement that drilling at all up there is a shame. I'm not screaming about it or anything but I'm not doing that with the refuge land either.

So I guess you've succeeded in a way. I knew about ANWR because as you said, that's what's getting covered and so that's what I knew about. Sorry.

So um......you win?:confused:

Thanks for the info though.

21. Changleen

Changleen Paranoid Member

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 4
    Good sheet DRB. Is true. And what is worse is that most people don't even know they are missing the big picture. It's an unknown unknown to them.

22. BurlyShirley

BurlyShirley Rex Grossman Will Rise Again

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 1
    Lichens and caribou...who gives a ****? You can really get the oil without destroying those miserable life forms anyway. Im all for my SUV running a little cheaper.

23. DRB

DRB unemployed bum

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    You seem a little sensitve to be in here.

24. kidwoo

Rep/Likes:
    158 / 1,492
    Not really. Just trying to figure out your point. Which you got through to me finally. That's all.

25. sanjuro

sanjuro Tube Smuggler

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 0
    Yippee!!!! When oil prices go back up, that means more money for me!!!

BTW, I used to work in the oil industry in New Orleans, where most of the domestic oil is drilled for. I hate hypocrites who complain about oil prices but are unwilling to allow drilling in their neck of the woods.

So when my stock goes up thanks to a limited domestic oil supply, it is a bonus for me.

26. ALEXIS_DH

ALEXIS_DH Tirelessly Awesome

Rep/Likes:
    18 / 103
    or like that simpsons episode, where burns drilled for oil beneath the school with a tilted oil rig....

27. kidwoo

Rep/Likes:
    158 / 1,492
    I've heard people say that's why Iraq attacked Kuwait. Horizontal drilling. Plus it's a fun phrase to say out loud.

28. GumbaFish

GumbaFish Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    please dont even get me started on anwar...I ****ing hate our president and all that he stands for...I cant wait to not have a job after graduation after this administration.

29. fluff

fluff Monkey Turbo

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    Well, Iraq alleged slant-drilling (as opposed to horizontal which would be tricky). They also claimed that Kuwait is part of Iraq historically (an argument that is arguably true but not necessarily a valid reason for claiming current ownership).

30. DRB

DRB unemployed bum

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Don't get worked up about ANWR. Do some real research and find what you should really be getting worked up about. It isn't ANWR. I promise you it isn't.

Slant and horizontal drilling are in essence the samething.

31. BurlyShirley

BurlyShirley Rex Grossman Will Rise Again

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 1
    LMAO @ you.