Quantcast

Any 40 plus riders here?

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I'm going to be 40 this December, and I feel like an old man sometimes when I go riding, as I’m usually one of the oldest to be on the top of the mountain.

I see a lot of XC'ers, but not a lot of DH'ers...

Essentially, this is a "make me feel good" about turning 40 thread.

(Truthfully, it's a justification to my wife thread! :D )

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Brian HCM#1 said:
I'll be 40 next June............................................................ That really sucks:(
hm could have sworen you were in your early 50s. i still ride with a ton of people that are around that age.
:cool:

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Brian HCM#1 said:
I'll be 40 next June............................................................ That really sucks:(

Damn dude, your ass is old! :p

I feel a hell of a lot better! :thumb:

I noticed that at this age, there ain't no such thing as, "Jumping out of bed." ;)

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
43 and going faster and bigger each year. so far.
the older you are also means the more years you have to improve your riding.

Jun 4, 2002
Berryville, VA
Yeah man, 41 last Jan. Started late riding DH at about 37. Good thing is the over 40 sport class is not that deep. I currently have kidney stones and all my non-riding friends say I should slow down and quit riding. Jesus christ! I'm just starting to get some speed! I can't see not riding until I physically can't.
I can go riding motorcross or quads any time, but DH just makes me feel more alive.

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
I started DHing a few years back at 45. Now at 47, I can handle most anything that my punk friends ride, and usually at or toward the front of the pack. Maybe my punk friends are pansies too :rolleyes:.

Brian HCM#1 said:
Hey, be glad you almost 40. It beats the alternative. You could be dead.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
You think it's bad for YOU?? I'm going to turn *30* in a year!!!!!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
evilbob said:
47 This season, 48 by next March. Lookin forward to more riding/racing next year than I was able to do this year.

Dude, I just saw the speed metal site.....You guys have any jerseys? The Iron Maiden’esque logo is cool! :thumb:

DHZombie

Chimp
Jul 12, 2005
Leesburg, VA
I'll be 47 next month !!

This was my first year racing downhill. 4 1st's and a 3rd plus the MAC Championship for 'old fart beginners'. Took my share of spills. but if you ain't crashing you ain't goin fast enough !!! :dead:

2006 season..... LOOK OUT Sport riders !!!! :sneaky:

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
44 this year and I feel I'm riding better than ever. Injury recovery time is the only issue I have...takes longer to heal.
But if you're wondering do guys in their 40's rip? Ckeck out Stu from Turner/Honda....he's what keeps me sayin "I can get better" Thanks Stu! :evil:

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
I am sooo freaking happy I came across this thread because I turned 37 in Aug and am starting to question whether or not I am too old for this style of riding. I was thinking that I will still run DH for another year and then sell my bike, but now I am having second thoughts about it. Lets hear it for the old men! Wa-hoo!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I love it when someone says something about me being old, I always ask them How's it feel to not be able to keep up with someone xx years older than they are?

:devil:

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
i m 36 in a few days... gettin old is a twin edged sword.... on one side you have experience (i ve been riding DH since it s inception - before even)... on the other there is the pain / recovery thing...

most of my riding mates are in there mid 20s... i can still ride with them, and ususally we are amoungst the fastest at the german resorts (except when nico vink is in town :) )... but i must admit, it is getting harder... i can ride all day long in my comfort zone and not crash... but when the lads start to push it a bit i need to give it a little more and i find myself out of my comfort zone (which isn t altogether a bad thing)...

honestly i can t see myself getting much faster at my age, but i ll continue to ride as fast as my worthless old carcass can handle...

go old fellas !!!

Killerbarbies

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Slovakia
Golden birthday next year and enjoying my riding more than ever before since I got hooked on DH, and my wife (43 next year) has just got a hardtail and now rides with me. And until I take the full-face off and show all my grey hairs I don't think my age is that noticable.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
There are a lot of good excuses in being an older DH rider.

Like when you're getting your ass kicked by a younger rider, all you say is, Dude, I know I'm slow but also I'm 20 years older than you............. You were still swimming around in your dad's sack when I graduated high School.

Or, dude, you just got your ass kicked in DH by an old man.

Use your age to it's advantage:D :thumb: