Quantcast

any advice for rolling backwards?

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
You know if when you say do a 180 (not that I can) but you're going backwards...how do you do that little flippye thingee to get going forward again?

Sep 18, 2001
Marin County CA
You're just gonna have to practice. Here's my advice though:
As you're rolling back turn your handlebars so that the bike turns about 90 degrees. Then lift up and throw the bike the other 90 degress around. As you throw the bike pedal forward to kick the backend around. As you get better you can use the handelbars less and less to initially turn the bike.

Ir Dan

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Orange County
Originally posted by Dog Welder
You know if when you say do a 180 (not that I can) but you're going backwards...how do you do that little flippye thingee to get going forward again?
To learn the basic manuver I just started bouncing off of walls and rolling back, as you are goin back, I pedal down and 180 when my lead foot is forward and then ride away. some people do it with their lead foot back

bru

Chimp
Sep 9, 2001
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hmm, good question. It's way easier trying to do it sitting down first. This means you won't be able to turn back around because you need to stand up to do that. That will come later though. Work on the sitting and then try it standing. Also, it is easier if you have a bank to practice on. I also found it easier if I stared at my stem while backpedaling. Your body will know which way to lean and turn on it's own without your eyes fooling you. Practice makes perfect

serbdog

Monkey
May 13, 2002
drexel hill, pa
Some people like to sit, while I like to stand while rolling back. I can go pretty damn far and can link tricks out of the rollback.

Biggest thing is to relax and keep looking forward while rolling back. You have to make sure to pedal backwards as well, since that keeps you stable and allows the cassette to move as well.

When you want to pivot, try just rolling back and hitting your brake and pulling straight up...get used to that feel. Do it about 100 times-practice. Once you got the feeling and how your bike works, you can work on doing the pivot.

If you are going to pivot to your right side, turn your bars to the left and vice versa. Like said above, turn about 90 degrees and pull in a fluid motion to finish the turn. The key now is to swing your head around to where you will pivot. Shoulders and head placement are big factors in my mind.

But nothing is as easy as it is said....so just practive, practice and practive. You will have fun since you will get better each time.

Sep 18, 2001
Marin County CA
Originally posted by bru
Hmm, good question. It's way easier trying to do it sitting down first. This means you won't be able to turn back around because you need to stand up to do that. That will come later though. Work on the sitting and then try it standing. Also, it is easier if you have a bank to practice on. I also found it easier if I stared at my stem while backpedaling. Your body will know which way to lean and turn on it's own without your eyes fooling you. Practice makes perfect
I think its personal preference whether or not to sit or stand. I learned standing. Also learning to rollback standing leads to bunnyhop half-cabs, full cabs and if you're edwin 540 cabs.

Ir Dan

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Orange County
Originally posted by hardtail_schmuk

I think its personal preference whether or not to sit or stand. I learned standing. Also learning to rollback standing leads to bunnyhop half-cabs, full cabs and if you're edwin 540 cabs.
According to Steve Cabellero a half cab can only be done on a skateboard because you have to do an ollie which cant be done on anything but a skateboard. The term still works for a bike though. Troy Mcmuarray throws some crazy fakie wallrides to half cab.

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Asheville, North Carolina
When rolling backwards, look straight ahead to maintain balance.

To turn around, turn your head to face backwards and pivot about, leading with your head and handlebars.

To bunny hop out, bunny hop while rolling backwards, and pivot about as previously described.

Practice, of course.

axel

Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
conway, ma
i think everyone above pretty much covered it, but ill go over it again, just for sh!ts and giggles. its best to practice on a mellow bank with a flat surface to roll to. roll up to the bank at a moderate speed, as you areabout to stop, do a little hop(an inch or 2 is actually enough, but a foot or 2 looks really cool) and as you land, you will start to roll backwards. keep your balance and look ahead. when you are confortable with fakies andwant to learn to turn out, its easiest to learn at a bit of a slower speed, but turn your weight and wheel slightly and push down on your front foot and turn your head and shoulders and that should bring you around pretty good. hope that helps
alex

Sep 18, 2001
Marin County CA
Originally posted by Ir Dan

According to Steve Cabellero a half cab can only be done on a skateboard because you have to do an ollie which cant be done on anything but a skateboard. The term still works for a bike though. Troy Mcmuarray throws some crazy fakie wallrides to half cab.
:thumb:

563 740

Chimp
Jul 23, 2002
North of Albany
Does it make a difference what gear you run in the rear for rollbacks? I.e. will using a smaller gear be easier than using a larger one? It seems like it would in theory, but I could very well be wrong about that.

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
Originally posted by 563 740
Does it make a difference what gear you run in the rear for rollbacks? I.e. will using a smaller gear be easier than using a larger one? It seems like it would in theory, but I could very well be wrong about that.
Middle Chainring up front and middle of your Casstte works best for keeping the chain on and not grinding anything up.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by Dog Welder
hmm...sounds like someone need to bring themselves out to San Diego to ride with Mike D and myself;)