Quantcast

Any advice when changing fork oil?

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
Okay so I've decided to change the oil in my fork (Marzocchi Z3.5 same as 99 Z3 Long Travel). I emailed Marzocchi for the manual on the fork and they sent it to me. I've got a step by step guide on how to do it but I have a couple questions. First, what kind of oil do I put back in the fork, since I don't know what weight is in there now? I do urban, freeride, light DH type stuff, so I want the fork a little on the stiffer side. Also, is there any fork part(s) that should be replaced when you change the oil? Any other tips or advice that would make the process go smoother please post. This whole thing seems kind of intimidating and I don't want to mess it up.

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
All you need to do is remove the top caps with (I think) a 22mm socket. Once you've done that, remove the preload washer (big aluminum washer with a tapered hole in the middle), and pull out the spring. Now you can drain the oil from the fork. To get it all out, pump the fork in and out a fair bit to work the damper. After that, put in the new oil. Keep the oil level 40-35mm from the top of the stanchion with the fork compressed. That should make the fork good and progressive for heavy duty riding. Make sure to pump the fork again to get oil through the damper. Marzocchi suggests Golden Spectro 125/150 oil available through any motorcycle shop. Most bike shops will have fork oil too. A good fork oil that DOES NOT HAVE seal swellers is ideal.

Nothing needs to be replaced 'till it's worn out. You'll know when you need new seals.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by Honeywell
First, what kind of oil do I put back in the fork, since I don't know what weight is in there now? I do urban, freeride, light DH type stuff, so I want the fork a little on the stiffer side. Also, is there any fork part(s) that should be replaced when you change the oil? Any other tips or advice that would make the process go smoother please post. This whole thing seems kind of intimidating and I don't want to mess it up.
Check out the recommended setup table

alex spencer

Chimp
Aug 5, 2001
england
marzocchi oil is 7.5 weight, so if you want to stiffen the damping up a bit i'd use 10 weight, and buy the oil from a motorbike shop, as its cheaper and you get better oils like silkolene.