Quantcast

Any advice?

803Beastmode

Chimp
Feb 5, 2013
Lexington, SC
I wouldn't say that I am new to biking, however more of a noob at this point. I mountain biked a lot about 6 years ago and just sort of fell away for a while. Looking to get back into it and wondering what type of bike a beginner should get. I want to do mostly downhill, but also would like to be able to ride daily. Any advice?

Thanks for any responses.

Ride Monzie

Monkey
Jan 4, 2013
Killafornia
Two different bikes (daily driver, DH rig) and a much, much bigger budget. $300-500 is barely a decent entry level hardtail XC bike nowadays.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
add a zero to your budget, get two bikes.

Otherwise, look for a Kona Coiler/coilair. Specifically something from the 2007-2011 time frame. You should be able to find one for around $600-1,000.

Solid 6" bikes that pedal decently, descend well and do everything fairly good, nothing "great".

803Beastmode

Chimp
Feb 5, 2013
Lexington, SC
I looked at a few different bikes today, which included diamondbacks, treks, and nishikis. Their not very expensive and will work with my budget for just getting back into biking. I am not familiar with Nishiki's and I couldn't find anything on these forums when I searched for them. Is anyone familiar with them?

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
nishiki is owned by the same parent company as diamondback i believe. if you're looking at hardtails then i'd go with the diamondback. better frame to upgrade with. the cheaper fs models they offer are pretty similar to each other. if it's a fs you want, google the diamondback sortie 3 and see if anyone has deals on last years or earlier models. i've got one and love it