Quantcast

Any alternatives? Or is this the right bike for me?

Alright. So I ride a hardtail gary fisher marlin right now, but I've been riding a lot lately, and have found I need a better bike. I ride some technical downhill style trails, single tracks, XC style trails, and then sometimes even ride on gravel roads and such. So I need a do it all, all-mountain bike. I want to be able to ride up-hill, and then down, with a bike capable to do it. I've looked at lots of bikes, and I think I've chosen to buy a Specialized Pitch Comp. I need to keep costs down real low, so I can't buy like a Yeti ASR7 or 575, even if I'd like one. I need a long travel bike that I can pedal uphill too. So almost a climbable DH bike. Is the pitch the right bike for me?

PS. Sorry for the rant...

Senorfrog

Chimp
Dec 29, 2009
What's your budget? Money no object I'd say you should go with the Scott Genius LT 20.... that would make me need new pantaloons.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Pitch is a good all-arounder for a lower price point. Think about used too if you can service your own machines.

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
The pitch is a great bike, based mostly on the last gen enduro, of which I am an owner. The bike is a great do it all machine. The pitch is a bit heavy, but you can fix that over time and upgrade as stuff wears out and breaks. As mentioned above, used is a good idea as well if you know how to work on your own bike.

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
keep riding what you have. when you have built up some skills, and some money, then buy something that fits the riding you do the most.

in America there's a bizarre trend among bicycle riders to assume their bike is what holds them back.

it's not the bike that makes you a great rider. it's the riding skill you've accumulated.

Yeah, I do realize that I need to wait a little while and save up some more money, but I'm to the point where I'm hucking my hardtail down close to DH-level trails. And my bike is feeling it. The thing is slowly buy surely falling apart. Even with repairs and maintenance. But good point @alpine slug, I should wait and save some money, also find my style of riding a bit more. And too everybody who said buy used, I think that's what I'm gonna do, it saves so much money, and I do have a reasonable amount of skill for repairing bikes, anything I don't know, I can find out. Thanks so much guys.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I think the Pitch is about the best value in an all around bike out there. Save your pennies, ride the crap out of what you've got now, and when you're ready, it's an awesome option.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
That pitch looks like it's a DH leaning trailbike, heavy & squishy, and sluggish. If you want more of a traditional trailbike look more toward the Camber or the stumpy FSR.

If you plan on hitting big drops and such, then the pitch will probably be better. Just make sure you really want a squishy bike before you get one. It's neat to have all that suspension, but if you don't use it then you're just adding weight and sluggishness to the bike for no reason.

EDIT: Just read your latest reply that you're riding DH level trails... Maybe the pitch is for you then. I demo'd a Rumblefish 2 years ago, If I had to do a weekend of light DH followed by trail riding, I might look in that direction... felt great to me.

Last edited:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Id say that the Pitch would be a good option as would either a Banshee Spitfire or a Banshee Rune. The Rune is a little burlier and the Spitfire is more pedal friendly and lighter with only 127mm of travel (though it retains some of the DH geometry and is optimized for a 160mm fork). Both options to cionsider though. They are not nearly as expensive as some of the botique brands. (about $1400MSRP on the spitfire frame).

Jer*SC

Chimp
Jul 15, 2011
Another option would be a Giant Reign.

I was looking at Pitches as well, none of the lbs's had my size and told me the Pitch would be dropped in 2012. Went to the Giant dealer and saw they had Reign's on sale snatched one up and really couldn't be happier.

Ended up spending less for a better specced bike too

Only complaint on the Reign is no ICSG tabs and a press fit BB making it impossible to run a chainguide without going to a 1x setup

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
I was looking at Pitches as well, none of the lbs's had my size and told me the Pitch would be dropped in 2012. Went to the Giant dealer and saw they had Reign's on sale snatched one up and really couldn't be happier.
Pitch will be coming back in 2012 as a Stumpjumper Evo Comp from what I've read.

DavidM

Chimp
Jul 31, 2011
NW Arkansas
Something else that wasn't asked how tall are u? I know ur 15 (if I read it correctly) but if ur tall what about a 29er? If ur average height I agree with the Scott Genius LT (long travel) you could also look at Santa Cruz Superlight, Scott Spark, or the Giant Reign. To me a DH bike is just that a DH bike. Ifu want something that can handle all types of trails, XC, DH, etc then look solely for an All Mountain. If DH is occassional then look for an XC bike.